Baby Showers

Gender Reveal AT the baby shower?

2»

Re: Gender Reveal AT the baby shower?

• My sister in law and brother revealed the sex at their shower and I didn't for one second even consider that they were trying to manipulate people's gifts. I didn't hear anything negative about it from any family or friends either. Just the innocent "oh no i don't know what to buy"  joking comments.

there was someone who said she is finding out the sex because family is pressuring her.  I got this alot too with my first. We chose not to find out with our son and I loved the surprise when i gave birth. With this pregnancy I'm getting it a lot again. I've actually had to ask my husband to back me up on our decision (which we aren't even sure of yet!) because a few people are telling ME I HAVE  to find out (not approaching my husband). We have a few reasons we don't want to find out, and a couple reasons we do want to find out.Ultimately it's your and your husbands decision to make. No one elses.

Right now I'm leaning toward having it be a surprise again. We have lots of family that REALLY want it to be a girl, but in all likelihood (based on husbands family) it's probably a boy and I really don't want to celebrate a sex reveal if i think that our family is going to show disappointment. Plus it really doesn't matter to us. We just feel blessed to have another child and only want him or her to be healthy :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Everyone needs to stop judging other parents. I don't want my children thinking there are gender specific colors or toys. I loved blue and green when I was a kid. I cried when my mom put me in dresses or pink. Now I love heels and I've been buying a lot of blush pink dresses. There is no reason you have to reveal or not reveal gender before a shower. I have 12 nieces and nephews (6 of each) and hopefully will have no need for anyone to get us anything gender specific anyway. But I probably wouldn't find out the gender until later in the pregnancy anyway since my man is pushing hard for boys and I would be crushed if he reacted negatively, just like the way I'd feel if people were reading into the timing of my gender reveal. My body, my baby, my decisions.
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • leksiLleksiL member
    I don't understand all the negativity here. DH and I know the sex of our baby but we are keeping it a secret until they are born. Is it manipulative? No. Will we necessarily get less gender specific crap? Yep. But we are doing it because it is something special that we can both share together and we want to keep it to ourselves. I agree with @NYTino24 stop judging other parents! 
    Me: 38, DH: 36 
    Married Jan 2008 
    DD Baby Bells born Dec 2016 5 lbs, 12 oz, 18" <3 so in love <3
    Due with #2 Baby Arya EDD February 2020

• I think its fun but some guests might be annoyed because they wouldnt be able to purchase the proper colors. Ive heard of this happening.
    I feel like that's more of an issue when the parents already know and are just keeping it a secret to ensure they get gender neutral gifts.
    People actually want gender neutral gifts?  I've never heard of such a thing before.  I am so opposed to gender neutral.  I don't want a lizard baby. lol 
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie