June 2015 Moms

is your LO off the bottle yet?

dianabeeedianabeee member
edited July 2016 in June 2015 Moms
I'm having a very, very hard time weaning my son off the bottle. I gone through several cups and no luck. open to any ideas/suggestions. 

is your LO off the bottle yet? 61 votes

Yes
47% 29 votes
No
21% 13 votes
doing both cup and bottle
31% 19 votes

Re: is your LO off the bottle yet?

• I still give my daughter a bottle. I haven't thought about weaning yet. She won't take a sippy either, we have tried 3 different ones. 
  • I was comfortable with him still on the bottle. he is 13 months. but his pedi said I should really start trying. I'm not trying to stress it but I have a feeling that this is going to be a very hard transition for us.
  • Loading the player...
  • I bought a ton of cups but it was the Nuk one with the soft silicone spout that he finally took. 
  • My little one always wanted straws so we found one with a weighted straw to try first
  • We're using straw cups too. My girls hate having to tip their heads back to drink from a cup... I don't know.
    We officially cut out bottles this week and things went so smoothly! We now do milk with sippy, brush teeth, and lay down in cribs for bed. They were ready though and weened themselves. It was almost too easy
  • DD will take water from a sippy cup (soft spout), but if we want her to actually DRINK her milk, it basically has to be a bottle, or I have to hold her as if she is getting a bottle while giving her milk from a sippy cup.  At daycare they just hand her a sippy cup, and she won't drink the whole 4 ounces.  They used to just hand her a bottle and she'd drain it, but she's not as good with the cup.  At home I either give her a bottle or a cup of milk but either way I hold her and feed it to her and she drinks every drop.  I'm thinking that eventually she'll figure it out on her own.  She is completely capable of feeding herself water from the cup, but she's weird about milk.
  • Mine will drink water from a straw cup just fine. Will not take milk in it. He spills everything if I let him use a regular cup. He still bottle feeds at night so not sure how much longer I'll let this go on. His pediatrician did stress it's time to say bye bye bottle, but really I just don't think he is ready. A few more weeks won't hurt. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 12/23/13 MMC 01/24/14 @ 9w5days

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• My LO is completely off bottles and we got lucky that it was an easy transition for us. At first she didn't like milk in her sippy b/c she was so used to it being water, now she loves milk and chugs it. She will drink water from any cup and does better with milk in certain straw cups. I don't fight it and let her have her milk in those. Also, we only do milk at her three meals, otherwise it's water. She's doing great!
  • delujm0 said:
    DD will take water from a sippy cup (soft spout), but if we want her to actually DRINK her milk, it basically has to be a bottle, or I have to hold her as if she is getting a bottle while giving her milk from a sippy cup.  At daycare they just hand her a sippy cup, and she won't drink the whole 4 ounces.  They used to just hand her a bottle and she'd drain it, but she's not as good with the cup.  At home I either give her a bottle or a cup of milk but either way I hold her and feed it to her and she drinks every drop.  I'm thinking that eventually she'll figure it out on her own.  She is completely capable of feeding herself water from the cup, but she's weird about milk.
    Mine does the exact same. We're doing water from sippy cup and milk in bottles right now. If I give him milk in the sippy cup he'll only drink an ounce. But he'll chug 4oz water from it. 
  • We have a straw, spouted sippy, and spoutless Wow cup. He definitely does best with the straw. He loves water but won't drink much cow's milk. 
  • We have a straw, spouted sippy, and spoutless Wow cup. He definitely does best with the straw. He loves water but won't drink much cow's milk. 
    Same here. Drinks ton of water but not very into milk b
  • Any one care to share photos of cups with straws that you use? I tested the one I use for my son and it turns out it's kind of hard to sip on. No wonder he hardly drinks from it! 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @beemaya83 we use these. I've purchased MANY sippies and my girls love these.
  • We went through so many different sippy cups and I'm still not sure which one is his favorite! But after his first birthday we weaned him off the bottle/formula and then cold turkey after about a week. He loves water and is iffy with juice. He won't drink milk unless we spike it with a fruit Yogurt! So high maintenance
  • @btm013 I think I remember you mentioned going cold turkey. Ive been wanting to do it so badly but this momma really wants to sleep. Both my husband and I cave in so quickly. Help! 

@beckyk9109 thank you for sharing!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• We use Nuby cups for milk. 

For water we use the same Munchkin cups shown above as well as the wow or spout less ones or the weighted straw munchkin cups. She's not picky about her water cups, just milk. 
  • LO doesn't drink much milk either, he had a reaction to whole milk, so I've been trying Almond milk.  It's not going well.  So I am continuing to pump and LO gets 2 pumped bottles a day while with my sister while I'm at work.  He drinks water wonderfully.  He also prefers straw cups to sip cups.  He doesn't understand the concept of tilting the cup back.  We use born free straw cups and then he has 2 mickey mouse straw cups.  He does best with either of these with his water.  the born free ones are nice because they have the handles.  

• We use this one and its awesome because the straw is weighted. The weight is easily removed for cleaning.
  • Ladies, it was mentioned to me by a fellow mommy at work that she found that her straws would easily get moldy with milk. Have any of you guys have experience/heard of this? She ended up using disposable straws. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• We use Avent My Easy Sippy cup. Soft spout, LO will drink anything from it!
  • beemaya83 said:
    Ladies, it was mentioned to me by a fellow mommy at work that she found that her straws would easily get moldy with milk. Have any of you guys have experience/heard of this? She ended up using disposable straws. 
    I use different small brushes to clean all of the straws as well as put them through the dishwasher weekly. I also take the cups completely apart with each washing. 
  • The one we got came with a little brush to scrub the straw out. 
  • LO finally took a sippy cup!
  • Im having the same issue with my son. He will drink sip cup after sip cup of water. But when we put milk in it, he only drinks an ounce or two. My son os allergic to milk and dairy products, so we are still on a Non dairy formula, so its so important that he drinks it. So I'm at a stand still on what to do as well.

• So DD uses the Nuby soft spout sippys and I was at Marshall's last weekend and saw this one for $3 so I grabbed it.  It has a monster face on the top.  She is now OBSESSED with this cup.  She treats it like a stuffed animal and tucks it under her arm and brings it with her everywhere.  We can give it to her while she's in the stroller, and she holds it instead of throwing it on the ground.  it's crazy.  highly recommend!  they also have it on amazon, though not for $3.

• Mmmmkay so we're now at a critical juncture with this sippy cup sitch. We use the Nuby & Nuk soft spout ones. He'll drink water out of them all day long, no problem. I put his milk in sippy cups yesterday to bring to daycare and when I picked him up later he had drank a total of 4 ounces. Over the course of 8.5 hours. Got home, gave him a bottle and he eagerly sucked down 6oz. 

What do I do? The ped wants him off bottles by 15 months and the daycare doesn't allow bottles in the next class up (which will surely be later than 15 months cause he's nowhere close to a "confident walker").

Would you send him to school with 2 sippies plus a bottle, so at least he'll drink some milk during the day if he refuses the sippies? Or should I take a hardline approach and only send him with sippies, figuring at some point he'll give in and drink milk from it? 
  • Honestly, just forget the bottles. Lo never took bottles so we skipped that issue but she wouldn't drink breastmilk from a cup for a while and finally did with a straw cup. Now she's been having almond milk or coconut milk the last few days and she would only take a couple Sips. Found out she will drink a few oz from a kids cup from a restaurant over the weekend but she likes pulling the straw out so I don't think I'll bring it out with us.
  • klirwin82 said:
    Mmmmkay so we're now at a critical juncture with this sippy cup sitch. We use the Nuby & Nuk soft spout ones. He'll drink water out of them all day long, no problem. I put his milk in sippy cups yesterday to bring to daycare and when I picked him up later he had drank a total of 4 ounces. Over the course of 8.5 hours. Got home, gave him a bottle and he eagerly sucked down 6oz. 

What do I do? The ped wants him off bottles by 15 months and the daycare doesn't allow bottles in the next class up (which will surely be later than 15 months cause he's nowhere close to a "confident walker").

Would you send him to school with 2 sippies plus a bottle, so at least he'll drink some milk during the day if he refuses the sippies? Or should I take a hardline approach and only send him with sippies, figuring at some point he'll give in and drink milk from it? 

For a while our daycare would give LO her milk in a sippy first, and whatever she didn't finish they'd pour into a bottle for her to drink - will they do that for you?  They don't do it anymore, they just give her whatever she'll take from a sippy and then move on.  I suspect that she only gets about 4oz during the day at daycare, but DH gives her 8oz before leaving the house in the morning (2 4oz bottles), and she is awesome with solid foods, so I'm not too worried about it.  She gets breastmilk when she gets home from school, straight from the source, haha.

I do need to ask daycare if they can offer her water throughout the day...she chugs it when we get home, and I know that they don't give her juice when her classmates get it (at our request), so I want to make sure she's adequately hydrated during the day.  Hopefully they'll be able to accommodate that.

Our doctor didn't give us a hardline on the bottles, but I figure she'll wean eventually...I've never seen a 5 year old drinking a bottle haha.  Right now when we're home on weekends I try to only give her bottles for her first morning feed and her pre-nap feed and otherwise give her milk in sippies...but I still hold her the way I would if the milk was in a bottle so that she'll drink it all.  I figure eventually she'll be able to figure that procedure out on her own.

• @delujm0, they best be accommodating to offer your LO water throughout the day!  I would hope they already do that, or at least offer water when the other kids are having juice.  If they give juice everyday I also would have requested water instead of juice for my LO.

• My daughter will drink from straw or sippy cups, but far prefers adult cups. It is much more fun for her. If you just put in a little liquid at a time, it really minimizes spills. She is not off the bottle yet. All in time. 
  • delujm0 said:
    klirwin82 said:
    Mmmmkay so we're now at a critical juncture with this sippy cup sitch. We use the Nuby & Nuk soft spout ones. He'll drink water out of them all day long, no problem. I put his milk in sippy cups yesterday to bring to daycare and when I picked him up later he had drank a total of 4 ounces. Over the course of 8.5 hours. Got home, gave him a bottle and he eagerly sucked down 6oz. 

For a while our daycare would give LO her milk in a sippy first, and whatever she didn't finish they'd pour into a bottle for her to drink - will they do that for you?  They don't do it anymore, they just give her whatever she'll take from a sippy and then move on.  I suspect that she only gets about 4oz during the day at daycare, but DH gives her 8oz before leaving the house in the morning (2 4oz bottles), and she is awesome with solid foods, so I'm not too worried about it.  She gets breastmilk when she gets home from school, straight from the source, haha.

I do need to ask daycare if they can offer her water throughout the day...she chugs it when we get home, and I know that they don't give her juice when her classmates get it (at our request), so I want to make sure she's adequately hydrated during the day.  Hopefully they'll be able to accommodate that.

Our doctor didn't give us a hardline on the bottles, but I figure she'll wean eventually...I've never seen a 5 year old drinking a bottle haha.  Right now when we're home on weekends I try to only give her bottles for her first morning feed and her pre-nap feed and otherwise give her milk in sippies...but I still hold her the way I would if the milk was in a bottle so that she'll drink it all.  I figure eventually she'll be able to figure that procedure out on her own.

In a similar boat here. LO drinks water great out of a sippy but not any kind of milk. Our daycare has been using the sippy at meals with a breastmilk/cow's milk combo, then pouring what's left into a bottle method before nap. It's in home so they don't have a strict rule about when she should be off the bottle (pediatrician said 1 year but I'm not worried about that). Almost out of frozen breastmilk so will see how LO adjusts to that. LO gulps a lot of water down after daycare so I also need to ask them again to give water throughout the day. I hope they listen! At home she just drinks water or nurses.
  • My sister son pediatrician said not to stress too much about transitioning from bottle until 15-18 months. My sons pediatrician is more hardcore and said no bottle after 12 months. We have a follow up appointment next month. So she might not be too happy. On that note, I have considering changing pediatrician for other reasons.... For instance she advised going cold turkey on night feedings the day he got his 1 year shots....
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @beemaya83 I would ignore the advice on night weaning if that's not something you're ready to do. Mine said night weaning at 6 months and here we are 7 months later lol. I don't listen to my doctors parenting advice anymore Bc I don't agree with it and it stresses me out. Mine also said no bottle after a year. My son will drink out of a cup all day long with water. He loves the 360 cup Bc it's like an adult cup. I can't get him to drink breast milk or regular milk out of sippy cup. He will drink cold water, but hates anything else cold..Popsicles, ice cream, juice, milk. So I bet he'd drink warm breastmilk out of a sippy cup....I just had a light bulb moment. I guess I could put warm milk in a cup and slowly make it cooler and cooler. But I'm not worried about it. We're still nursing so he's getting milk. 
  • beemaya83 said:
    My sister son pediatrician said not to stress too much about transitioning from bottle until 15-18 months. My sons pediatrician is more hardcore and said no bottle after 12 months. We have a follow up appointment next month. So she might not be too happy. On that note, I have considering changing pediatrician for other reasons.... For instance she advised going cold turkey on night feedings the day he got his 1 year shots....
    My policy is to find a doctor who I trust, and listen to them 100% on medical issues (medicine, vaccines, illness, etc.).

I take their parenting advice seriously, but consider it to be advice - and like all advice, some of it is good, and some of it is well-intentioned bad advice. 
  • I agree. my pediatrician has also told me to stop night feedings but I'm not comfortable doing that yet. she is also not very happy about him being on a bottle still (just turned 14 months) he does drink water out of a cup nicely but he just loves his bottle. 
  • We are in the process of ditching the bottle this week! He is not interested in milk out of any type of cup, but we are just going with it... I see a light at the end of the pumping tunnel!
  • I keep checking back to this thread. It's November, my LO is almost 17 months old. Still drinks milk from bottle. I've tried (guess not hard enough) to transition to straw cup and it's been a complete fail and he gets so mad. I cave! He still having the one night feeding too. I tried for a few days showing him the gallon of milk and pouring it in his bottle so he sees where the milk is coming from. Then I tried doing the same and poured into the straw cup, and nope, he still wanted the bottle. Any other tips mommas on what I can do?? 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I'm on the same exact boat with you. Everything you just said is happening to us. It's soo hard. 
  • I use the sippy cups with the soft spouts for milk....they're pretty similar to bottles.  at first we held DD the same as we would while giving her a bottle and eventually she figured out how to feed it to herself.  though we do just do dedicated milk feeding times at home.  she gets water with meals but a cup of milk at wake up, between breakfast and lunch, and before her nap (at daycare she gets a cup at lunch instead of directly pre nap).

She'll take water all day out of a straw cup but seems to prefer milk in a sippy cup still.  I'm sure she'll outgrow it eventually.  thinking of getting the 360 degree cups for Christmas and giving those a go.
  • You know, I think trying a sippy cup rather than the straw cup may be a good idea since it similar to a bottle. I was trying the straw cup approach since he drinks water just fine from there. I was told straw cups are better than sippy cups for the reason already mentioned. However, it may may a better alternative for us to get him off the baby bottle period. 
    Pregnancy Ticker