January 2016 Moms

Sleep Woes

My LO has taken to having extreme trouble sleeping. She seems like no matter where she's at, she's uncomfortable (and verging on being in pain). We've tried her crib, swing, and even on our chest. She's miserable no matter where she tries to sleep. She flails around, arches her back, and throws herself. It's hard to even hold on to her. Sometimes she does all of this and cries without ever opening her eyes. We've given her gas drops and tylenol (different occasions) with no change. The earliest we ever get her to "sleep" is 2 am, and she's up usually 2 times or more EVERY hour until she gets up around 830-900 am. She's also like this for napping, even on car rides...

I'm just curious to see if any other moms have had this issue or if anyone has any ideas? Is it something I need to take her to the pediatrician for? 

Re: Sleep Woes

• Is she like this during the day when she's not trying to sleep?  It sounds pretty extreme, I would at least put in a call to the pediatrician and see what they say
  • She's perfectly fine and happy when she's awake... it's just when she's sleeping, or trying to. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Do you think it could be a reflux flare up?
  • We have some of this at night, where it seems like pain. The big thing that works is teething tablets as opposed to tylenol. When we were giving tylenol for discomfort, it hurt her tummy so much, we were worse off than we started. Doctor recommended two tablets for pain/fever instead of tylenol, and we haven't looked back! (And for those worried about the fact that it's belladonna, I did some research. Apparently, it's such a trace amount that a baby would have to consume numerous full bottles even to feel ill.)
  • I'm so damn tired, I'm willing to try anything. She has horrible stomach problems until 4 months old. Turns out that it seems to be a soy allergy. So she's been on hypoallergenic formula and I've watched very, very closely on the solids she's been getting, so I don't think it's the soy issue coming back... 

It's probably ridiculous, but I feel stupid calling the doctor to say that my baby won't sleep. Lol
  • What solids have you given her?  I think soy allergies are often accompanied by other allergies.  Could be a new one?
  • How aweful!! Sounds like both you and your LO desperately need sleep! I don't know how you're doing it. My LO has been randomly crying out during the night, but she can resettle herself. I think it's because of teething, and if she has tylonol before bed it seems to help. Maybe your LO is too sensitive to tylonol though like PP said. So I don't know how to help with the pain, but maybe go for a long walk with her in the carrier for a nap during the day? My LO likes to nap in the carrier, though it takes her a half hour to snooze because she also just likes being out walking. We resort to the carrier when shes having a hard time napping or if shes just upset in general. Strollers don't work anymore for us, and she likes being held. 
  • She is REALLY picky with solids. She's had bananas, apples, pears, peaches, and sweet potato, which she seemed to refuse all of them. She started getting grabby towards one of my son's pouches, so I tried one with pears, Kiwi, peas, and spinach (gross?) and she seemed to really enjoy it. I know that greens can cause gas, so today we're trying banana, carrot, mango to see how she handles that one... after having puffs, she has major tummy issues, so I'm avoiding wheat for now as well. 
  • is she constipated? You could try some probiotics to help her tummy deal with the newness of solids. It could be that when she's awake she's distracted from the discomfort, but when she's trying to sleep she has nothing else to keep her attention from it. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • That's exactly how my LO would act before he got diagnosed with silent reflux. He also has a milk protein allergy. He's on zantac and we avoid all dairy and it has really helped. I'm also a NICU nurse and arching is definitely one of the main signs of reflux! I'm so sorry you are going through this! Have you tried elevating the head of her bed?
  • I haven't elevated her mattress because she's so mobile. She's crawling and everything, so I feel like I'd just find her down at the low end lol. She had horrible reflux as a baby, but it seemed to go away. She has not been spitting up or gurgly, so she's been off the meds for well over a month. I'm thinking maybe I need to get her back on one (she was on two different meds balanced throughout the day for reflux)