September 2015 Moms

Getting sick all the time!

Anyone else? I used to never get sick. Like maybe once a year. But my little guy gets sick at least once a month and infects the whole family taking everyone down one by one- plague style. We just recovered from a stomach bug and now it's an upper respiratory type of thing. It's been one thing after the next for months. I never realized how germy babies are! It makes sense because his hands are constantly in his mouth. Is this happening to everyone else? Any tips/strategies to prevent illness or to recover faster? Or to stop the inevitable spreading to others?

Re: Getting sick all the time!

• RobsMrs77RobsMrs77 member
    edited August 2016
    Same here. Mainly colds & coughs though, not tummy bugs really. I think it's our eldest who's the carrier, as he picks up an awful lot of bugs & stuff from school. He then passes them on to our LO. 

I remember when we had our first child, we got given a book when leaving the hospital about the first two years of your babies life. It's was great, full of really useful info for FTM's, and it was free! 
    It mentioned about how the first couple of years of your baby's life they will be sick over 200 times!!! I nearly fell over when I read it. It turned out to be true. Our first born DID get cold after cold, or a tummy bug like you said; especially when they're on the move.
    Just be wary if anything seems out of the ordinary, like a rash etc. (you'll know with your LO having bugs and colds at the moment, along with  mama's good old intuition) Otherwise it's normal. It actually helps build their little immune systems, and as long as their jabs are up to date, your little darling will be just fine. Not good when it gets passed on to the rest of the family though - agreed. 

I give Jake daily vitamin drops, have done since he was born. He still manages to pick up a cold & cough every few weeks though, but they don't last very long, 2/3 days max. Not sure if that's the vitamins or just his little body fighting it off naturally. 

Hope this helps. 

• Oh no, my LO has only had one cold at 3 months old and it was torture to watch him be so miserable! He had fluid on the ear at 8 months but doctor said there was no infection. I only noticed because he kept leaning his head to one side but still his happy self. He's our first though, so nobody is in daycare or school age in the house. Our house will get it when he starts school at five. Not looking forward to it! I hope you all get a chance to be healthy and relax before winter kicks in! 
  • Loading the player...
  • LoveLee85 said:
    Oh no, my LO has only had one cold at 3 months old and it was torture to watch him be so miserable! He had fluid on the ear at 8 months but doctor said there was no infection. I only noticed because he kept leaning his head to one side but still his happy self. He's our first though, so nobody is in daycare or school age in the house. Our house will get it when he starts school at five. Not looking forward to it! I hope you all get a chance to be healthy and relax before winter kicks in! 
    Ditto for us - first baby, no kids in school or daycare, and I'm the mom who refuses to touch a door handle and has a cart cover on the cart when shopping so LO can't pick up germs there, lol ... so we've lucked out and no sickness yet. My immune system was AWFUL when pregnant, but thankfully has bounced back after giving birth and we've somehow managed to avoid sickness, even in the terrible flu season this past winter. I know it's bound to happen though - and I'm not looking forward to it! 

So sorry you're going through this! Sounds awful!