February 2017 Moms
Options

Weight Gain

Hello, How much weight has everyone gained? I'm 11 weeks and already gained 25 pounds.   I've always struggled with my weight but feel like I just ballooned up when I got pregnant.. It's weird that some of my clothes still fit. Just curious about everyone else 

DD angel baby 10/16 <3
Rainbow Due 02/20/18

Re: Weight Gain

• Options
    alemarie1 said:
    Hello, How much weight has everyone gained? I'm 11 weeks and already gained 25 pounds.   I've always struggled with my weight but feel like I just ballooned up when I got pregnant.. It's weird that some of my clothes still fit. Just curious about everyone else 

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker   
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hi and welcome! Just a heads up, this question might not go over super duper well. We had another thread like this a few weeks ago (I highly recommend lurking a bit when you're new) and it got flamey pretty fast. Definitely stick around and meet these awesome, supportive ladies. (And don't feel like you should delete your post. We're all learning!).
    Married: 2011
    TTC #1: 3/2016
    Me 39 - DH 44
    BFP 5/27/16 EDD 1/30/17
    DD born 2/3/17
  • Options
    I think it's a ask your doctor or midwife question.  Everyone is going to be different.   
    Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @alemarie1 I'm sorry that your struggling with your weight, but def follow your docs advise!
  • Options
    kirstynikolekirstynikole member
    edited August 2016
    @alemarie1 agreed with PP, everyone is different and that's ok! Talk to your doctor and hopefully thy can help guide you through this and give you some pointers. Welcome & stick around! 
  • Options
    You all are awesome and so is the OP! I agree stick around. 
    ******************** BFP Warning *******************

I'm 29 and DH is 32 we have a MFI (low count) 
    IVF #1 starting in August. ER 9/5/13 23 eggs we are fertilizing 15. 9 frozen
    ET 9/10 - transferred 1 perfect 5AA blast
    7dp5dt BFP ~~ Beta on 9/19 - 77.4 Beta #2 on 9/21 - 357
    Low heartbeat on 10/7 86, lower heartbeat on 10/11 76, no heartbeat 10/14/13. D&C 10/15/13
    Tests revealed MTHFR c677t mutation, put on Folgard.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FET #1 1/6/14 - 4BB blast - BFN
    FET #2 - 3/3/14 - 5AB Blast -- Beta #1 3/12 - 152 -- Beta #2 3/14 - 358
    FET #3 06/09/16 - 5AB Blast - Beta #1 6/18- 245 -- Beta #2 06/20 - 600
     PAIF/SAIF/PAL/SAL welcome!

• Options
    I would just like to offer support if you are worried about gaining early. Hormones are the real deal, and affect everyone differently.  While those charts they have may be average, we are all going to gain (or not) in our own time frame. Listen to your OB, and be as healthy as you can. That is all you can do! 
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Options
    krobkrob member
    Just out of curiosity, I missed the original weight gain post, but has seen the other ones that blew the f*ck up, why does the weight post bother so many?

I think as a FTM I am super curious about everything that is happening to me and what is happening to others as well. I totally get that everyone is different and weight gain will vary. 

Is it a woman thing because we are often so harshly judged by our weight, appearance, size, etc?

Again just curious because I had not issue with the question, but I can see that it's definitely a sensitive subject. I try as a way of life to ask questions when people are sensitive/upset about things to find out why. Not only so I don't do anything to upset/bother them, but also to truly empathize with the why. 

Thanks in advance for any insight. 
    Me: 36, H: 37
    FTM, 2 Furbabies
    married 03/17/07
    lived in Houston, Austin, Los Angeles and NYC
    due: 2/15/17
  • Options
    When I had my first, I gained a lot of weight quickly. I remember feeling bad about it. I ended up sort of leveling out and while above the "recommended" amount of weight gain in pregnancy, it wasn't too bad. I know a lot of doctors will make you feel bad about it, but I do think it's hard to control- especially in pregnancy. Try not to feel down, and definitely address any concerns with your doctor. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

4 losses- MC in 2006, MMC in February 2012 at 12 weeks and MMC (twins) August 2016 at 12 weeks. Pregnant again- 11/7/16. Another loss on December 28, 2016.

BFP April 23, 2017.  Our triple rainbow baby! EDD: January 2, 2018. It's a boy!
  • Options
    @krob it's basically because it's 110% guaranteed to cause bad feelings for someone, and really should just be between a woman and her doc or midwife. It's also not useful. I'm pretty tall (5' 8"). What use is it for me to compare weight with someone who is 5' 0"? Clearly those numbers will be different, and should be! 

OP, you're cool. Stick around!
  • Options
    @krob I understand what you mean. I think sometimes the weight posts are more looking for other people kinda in the same boat and looking for support. The weight threads don't bother me. 

I do do agree to talk with your doc about your plan. I gained a lot of weight with DD and expressed to my OB that I didn't want that to happen again and I asked her how many calories should I target a day. 

Low heartbeat on 10/7 86, lower heartbeat on 10/11 76, no heartbeat 10/14/13. D&C 10/15/13

• Options
    krobkrob member
    @FishyMom @Xstatic3333 @BumpasaurusRex Thanks for your input. I appreciate when we can have a calm rational discussion even tho our opinions may differ or we may disagree. 

I hate what this society has done to women in regards to body image and weight. It's something didnt struggle with most of my life, then suddenly in my 30's became an issue. And honestly something I am semi-struggling with now. Knowing I am going to gain, look different, probably never have that "perfect" body (which I've never had lol)

I guess thats why I was interested in the topic. To know how others were dealing with the changes, be there none or huge ones. 

But it thanks again for your thoughts. It's helpful to know why it's triggering. I will reserve these conversations for friends IRL.
    Me: 36, H: 37
    FTM, 2 Furbabies
    married 03/17/07
    lived in Houston, Austin, Los Angeles and NYC
    due: 2/15/17
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind talking about struggles with weight, but I'm very overweight at this point and plus size so I would be really embarrassed to throw out there how much I weigh, how much weight I'm putting on throughout the pregnancy etc. I just feel self conscious about it even though this board is really great about being non judgemental. But I very much understand the struggle and I'm really worried about health related issues from my weight. It's why I've been avoiding things like the HDBD threads haha
  • Options
    @jab3 I sent you a private message :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @jab3 hugs.  I am sure it is hard, but know we are all here for you.

• Options
    @Jab3 it's good to know there is someone in my exact same boat. Plus size and pregnant.
  • Options
    @Jab3 I'm right there with you.  I've always struggled with my weight and have been overweight.  It makes me a little sad to know I'm not going to look like one of those adorable pregnant women.  I'm afraid I won't ever look pregnant, just big all over.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Weight threads when looking for support don't bother me at all. I found a lot of support PP with my other board for weight loss.
    I have to be particularly careful with my weight gain last pregnancy as I am overweight already, had GD last pregnancy, a clear sugar issue already this pregnancy (pre-diabetic or hypoglycemic), hypothyroidism (I have gained weight with each flare and have never lost it) and I am not a tall person. I'm trying to take it in stride, my midwife and I have set a target number of 15lb gain. I'm trying to eat healthy and I'm making a conscious effort to walk a bit more. I also know that no matter what (PPD/exhaustion) I really need to eat healthy and exercise PP so that I can be healthy for my babies.
  • Options
    Just to throw it out there, I know a lot of boards have a Plus Size Mama check-in. We definitely could too if someone wants to take charge of it!
  • Options
    I'm not necessarily plus size but on the overweight border.  I gained a lot of weight from steroids few years ago.  And I did really well last year losing most of that.  So I'm in an awkward area. I still do definitely worry about GD and weight gain especially since I've been on steroids twice already in one trimester.  I would love a board for these concerns.  

• Options
    As an obese pregnant woman I am not offended.  Although I can appreciate some taking issue with the "how much weight have you gained?" Bc of course women aren't "supposed" to weigh a lot.  Just like we're not supposed to get older, or have gray hairs and wrinkles. 

Anyway to the OP....as a first time mom who hasn't really read anything about pregnancy yet, or know anything on this topic...25 seems like a lot? It would be for me bc I'm overweight. I'm not even supposed to gain that much by delivery! I would assume your dr would give you guidelines or discuss this with you.  Have they?  I haven't gained any. I lost a little.  I'm surprised only a little since I hate food right now.  I actually tried to look that up online last night bc I don't know how I'm maintaining only a 5 lb loss when I can barely eat. 
  • Options
    I honestly find it harder to tell people that I'm pregnant at 39 than that I'm fat. 

I'm doing kind of a delicate dance. I have a digestive disorder that means I sometimes lose weight quickly and unintentionally.  My GI had me gain 10lb before I could get pregnant, then after my miscarriage I gained 10 more for insurance (I lost weight during the short pregnancy.) I'm short, so 20lb is the difference between "my doctor likes my weight - don't lose any more" and "OMG, I'm obese again!"

I mentally count those initial 20lb as pregnancy gain and feel like the extra 10lb were a mistake, but at the same time weight loss has been a huge worry. The weight loss paranoia is slowly easing, and I'm kind of aiming for maintaining weight for another 8 weeks, then targeting about another 15-20lb for a total of 35-40lb. 

The only thing that doesn't fit is the jeans that were snug at my lowest weight. And my bras - I've outgrown all the cups. The comfy jeans still fit - even with my back brace under them. On the other hand, pregnancy palazzo pants from the internet fit me like a sausage casing. How bodies distribute weight is odd and how women's clothing is cut and sized is even more bizzare. 

• Options
    purplewriter and CurlyCupcake, I am here and do understand what you're going through. I meant to respond days ago, I'm sorry. And I don't mind talking about it in general, in a thread if someone starts it or in a PM. 
  • Options
    I tried joing the plus size mom's thread, but it's been 2 days and I haven't been accepted yet. Please let me know if someone starts one, I would love the support 

DD angel baby 10/16 <3
    Rainbow Due 02/20/18