Food & Nutrition

vitamin d deficiency and pregnancy

Hello!

I have a history of vitamin D deficiency and just learned I am pregnant (for the 1st time). I am curious if anyone else out there is in this boat and if so, how your doctor is having you handle maintaining your D levels while pregnant. For now, I am planning to continue taking my prenatal plus 2,000 IU of D each day (per my PCP). Curious what others are doing.

Thanks!

Re: vitamin d deficiency and pregnancy

• I am vitamin D deficient as well. I take prenatal every day and I'm still deficient in iron and vitamin D (was on prescription vitamins before pregnancy.). My OB isn't too worried about it, I try to get extra sun when I can and try to eat food high in vitamins. 

Should ask your OB/DR if your worried about it, I know it is suggested that women who are on the lower end of D to take 4000 IU. But that is something only you and your dr should decided.

SO and I have been together: 5 Years+
    BFP: 03/10
    First Baby: 10/20/2016
  • I deal with this too....what did you find out? My level was 16 last year (my dr tested me for it because I was in pain for no reason....). I took 50,000 IU Vit D weekly for 3 months. That got my levels to 31. I took 2,000 IU maintenance and stayed at 31 at next 3 month check. At the next 3 month check, in June, my level was 25....My dr then had me take 6,000 IU. I have been out in sun a lot this summer so it'll be interesting to see what my next check is September 1

I've consciously been eating cereal with Vitamin D (which I don't usually eat cereal) and OJ with vit D(don't usually drink OJ) and I hope that helps.

I think I read something about taking it after a meal or with a fat or with another vitamin? I forget. I'll see what my next level is and from there see what to do. I want it higher because A) it's not good for my immune system (makes more suscpetible to auto immunes, cancer, etc) and for baby - they are more likely to have allergies. Ugh
  • Loading the player...
  • Vitamin D and pregnancy are important factors together. Expecting mothers need to make sure they get the recommended amounts of vitamin D during pregnancy for both their own well-being and the healthy development of their children. Pregnant and lactating women should get approx about 600 IUs (or the equivalent of 15 mcg) of vitamin D every day. Luckily, most prenatal vitamins provide approx 400 to 600 IUs of vitamin D, and you can also get the vitamin from certain foods and beverages.