April 2016 Moms
Options

Any other EP moms?

Just wondering how others are doing with pumping. We just hit 3 months and I feel like I'm hitting a wall :(

I EP for 8 months with my last baby and only stopped because I got really bad mastitis. 

Any other EPers?

Re: Any other EP moms?

• Options
    I like to say that I breastfeed (I try and I do sometimes), but I really do almost EP. It's exhausting! I need a hands-free bra or something. It's just not in the budget right now.

Seriously, if breastmilk wasn't best and formula wasn't so dang expensive, that's where we would be. I can't imagine doing this for another 9 months. The freezer stash is great though! 
  • Options
    I also EP. we're almost to 3 months. It's been challenging but doable for me. I just switched from an Ameda pump to a PISA & I am loving it. My work is very supportive of me pumping so that's been a real plus. I struggle more with pumping at home. Especially at night. I just want to sleep! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I like to say that I breastfeed (I try and I do sometimes), but I really do almost EP. It's exhausting! I need a hands-free bra or something. It's just not in the budget right now.

Seriously, if breastmilk wasn't best and formula wasn't so dang expensive, that's where we would be. I can't imagine doing this for another 9 months. The freezer stash is great though! 
    Yes to the bolded. My thoughts exactly! 

Also I didn't buy hands free bras. I just where the kinda stiffer ones and prop the horns with the top of my bra (if that makes any sense). I wouldn't survive sometimes with 2 other kids and no free hands. Lol
  • Options
    @runningwild
    That does make sense! I tried that (I have the PISA) but the suction breaks after a few minutes. Maybe I just move too much? 
  • Options
    @runningwild
    That does make sense! I tried that (I have the PISA) but the suction breaks after a few minutes. Maybe I just move too much? 
    Yeah I have to move around carefully. Lol I'm also using a hospital grade... not sure if that makes any difference.
  • Options
    I stole a manual pump from the hospital and that's all I've been using... I couldn't imagine exclusive pumping. You guys are awesome!
  • Options
    I can't wait to stop pumping!! I keep telling myself that I have at least 3 more months. I'm over the anxiety I get with let down and pumping. I got back to work in two weeks and glad they are supportive. I started off with the electric but have been using the manual for over a month. I feel better with having the freedom to move around.
  • Options
    So I've been EBF but do have a small freezer stash of milk.  We pulled some of that out for DD and she made faces and refused to take it...would only take freshly pumped milk.  Anyone else have this problem of kiddos not taking freezer milk???  I would hate for it all to go to waste.
  • Options
    So I've been EBF but do have a small freezer stash of milk.  We pulled some of that out for DD and she made faces and refused to take it...would only take freshly pumped milk.  Anyone else have this problem of kiddos not taking freezer milk???  I would hate for it all to go to waste.
    DS will drink it but it definitely smells (and I'm sure tastes) a little different! Maybe try mixing chilled fresh milk with the freezer milk so she can get used to the taste? 
  • Options
    It could also be the temperature you gave it to her. My son is very particular about his bottle temps and if I don't warm something, or warm it too much, his eyes will widen and he will reject the bottle. 
  • Options
    @UnbreakableKimmySchmidt - I have high lactase, which causes my milk to smell and taste sour after it's frozen (or even after a day or two in the fridge). Did you smell/taste it before giving it to baby? None of my other kids would take it, but #4 has an insatiable appetite and he will drink it. I've heard that you can scald your milk before freezing and it will solve the problem, but this mama ain't got time for that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips!  I think it does smell a little different, which may be why she isn't taking it...hopefully we can get her used to it!
  • Options
    Just saying I respect folks who EP. I hate pumping so much.
  • Options
    yodiggityyodiggity member
    edited July 2016

You ARE breastfeeding. Ep'ing is Breastfeeding. 

I've been ep'ing for most of the last 4 months as LO just never latched well. She lost a lot of weight and it was painful. 

You don't need to buy a hand-free bra specifically. You can just cut holes in a regular sports-bra. That is what I used the first month. Once I realized that ep'ing was going to become my way of life, I decided to invest in a legit hands-free bra.

Just wondering how others are doing with pumping. We just hit 3 months and I feel like I'm hitting a wall :(

I EP for 8 months with my last baby and only stopped because I got really bad mastitis. 

Any other EPers?
    It is A LOT of work and there have been many times that I despise my pump. The missed time with LO. The painful nipples. etc etc etc...it's so worth it though. If it's something you really want to continue to do, try and push through the hump. If you decide it's no longer for you, that is totally ok too. There is nothing wrong with FF.
  • Options
    @yodiggity haven't seen you around here in a while. Glad you're back.

I have a love/hate relationship with my pump. Lol So far I've pushed through and I'm still pumping.

I was really down in the dumps the day I posted this because it was my DD's 3rd birthday and I felt like I was missing everything. 
  • Options
    @yodiggity haven't seen you around here in a while. Glad you're back.

I have a love/hate relationship with my pump. Lol So far I've pushed through and I'm still pumping.

I was really down in the dumps the day I posted this because it was my DD's 3rd birthday and I felt like I was missing everything. 
    Thanks! 

It is a crappy feeling to miss out on stuff because of the pump. Luckily, I don't have another kid to attend to. I'm not sure how I could ep with a second child. I am thankful I have my SO to help while I pump (most of the time) and a boppy! lol
  • Options
    DD was in the NICU for her first week so BF wasn't an option. EP from the start and still going strong at almost 14 weeks. Around 6 weeks in I was ready to give up and just FF. I was spending so much time hooked to the pump and felt like I was missing out on life and precious sleep, but now that we have a routine and I'm not pumping as frequently I'm back to just disliking it rather than hating and dreading it. I keep setting small goals for myself, like at first I decided I was going to make it to 1 month, then I said 3 months, and now I've set my latest goal to 6 months. It helps that we're poor thanks to that NICU bill, so I have the added incentive of knowing how much money we are saving not having to buy formula. 
  • Options
    I've been EPing for the past 10 weeks (I'm 17 wpp). It was the best decision I made this year. I pump 4 x a day for 30 min each; ao it's actually more efficient than BFing. I have been using the spectra S2 which has been instrumental in allowing me to EP as I find it way more comfortable than the PiSA.
  • Options
    thaisac1 said:
    I've been EPing for the past 10 weeks (I'm 17 wpp). It was the best decision I made this year. I pump 4 x a day for 30 min each; ao it's actually more efficient than BFing. I have been using the spectra S2 which has been instrumental in allowing me to EP as I find it way more comfortable than the PiSA.
    How is your supply with only 4 pumps per day? I'm down to 5 a day for about 20 minutes each. I've been afraid to drop another as I'm making just enough for lo as it is.
  • Options
    thaisac1 said:
    OMG you're back!!!
  • Options
    runningwildrunningwild member
    edited August 2016
    thaisac1 said:
    OMG you're back!!!

--QBF--

I was thinking the same thing! Just didn't say it. Lol

Edited because my text disappeared 
  • Options
    DD is likely MSPI, and with my diet changes my supply tanked so I've been attached to my pump after every nursing session trying to get it back up. I give the EP moms so much credit because it is so much work. 
  • Options
    thaisac1 said:
    How is your supply with only 4 pumps per day? I'm down to 5 a day for about 20 minutes each. I've been afraid to drop another as I'm making just enough for lo as it is.
    Honestly my supply has been stable or slightly higher over time despite dropping pumps. At 7 weeks when I started I was making 26 oz per day with 7 pumps. After switching to spectra pump it started going up, and now my average is 39 oz per day with 4 pumps a day. When I did 5-6 pumps a day supply was also in the 37-39 oz range. So no issues.

Occasionally I'll do 3 pumps a day if a day is very busy. When I go down to 3 pumps, I do lose a couple of oz and end up with 36-38 oz per day.
  • Options
    thaisac1 said:
    OMG you're back!!!
    Lol I hadn't been here in forever. Was lurking yesterday :)
  • Options
    thaisac1 said:
    OMG you're back!!!

--QBF--

I was thinking the same thing! Just didn't say it. Lol

Edited because my text disappeared 
    Lol! Hey there!!! :)
  • Options
    MrsCayEye said:
    DD is likely MSPI, and with my diet changes my supply tanked so I've been attached to my pump after every nursing session trying to get it back up. I give the EP moms so much credit because it is so much work. 
    I honestly think it's less work than BFing - except for the constant washing of bottles and pump parts :)
  • Options
    @thaisac1 Holy moly at your milk production. I'm sorry to admit that I am envious. Before you began using the Spectrum, which pump were you using? I am using the PISA buy have wondered if I should rent a hospital grade. I have been struggling in the milk department after having a breast abscess and surgical I&D. I have to supplement with a bottle (formula or BM) after almost every feeding, and then turn around and pump after nursing to ensure milk removal and in hopes of increasing my supply and decreasing formula... 
  • Options
    ejled said:
    @thaisac1 Holy moly at your milk production. I'm sorry to admit that I am envious. Before you began using the Spectrum, which pump were you using? I am using the PISA buy have wondered if I should rent a hospital grade. I have been struggling in the milk department after having a breast abscess and surgical I&D. I have to supplement with a bottle (formula or BM) after almost every feeding, and then turn around and pump after nursing to ensure milk removal and in hopes of increasing my supply and decreasing formula... 
    My milk production is ok, it's just enough to feed my boy and freeze a bag a day. I like it like this though, as I would hate to deal with the discomforts of an oversupply.

i was using the PISA at first too. It was doing the job, but was so uncomfortable. I find the spectra much, much more comfortable. I probably would have quit EPing if I only had the Pisa....

so sorry to hear about the abscess!!! Oh my!!! Hope you are all healed and healthy now!
  • Options
    ejled said:
    I am using a hospital grade and it is SO much more comfortable than the Ameda I was using before.

I wish my production was a bit higher. Right now I'm making just enough to feed lo. I don't think it's a pump issue though,  it's me. I have scar tissue on one side from an injury that keeps me from producing much on that side. Before my injury, I EPd for 8 months and had a surplus of milk using a hospital grade. 

Sorry that got long. Hope it helps in some way.
  • Options
    @thaisac1 thank you for your response! I don't find the PISA uncomfortable, but maybe it's not super effective either. I may need to consider anther pump.
    @runningwild I may have the same dilemma re: scar tissue. With the hospital pump, did you purchase it or rent? 
  • Options
    @ejled rent both times. Had I known I would be EPing more than once I probably would have just bought it to begin with.
  • Options
    ejled said:
    I am using a hospital grade and it is SO much more comfortable than the Ameda I was using before.

I wish my production was a bit higher. Right now I'm making just enough to feed lo. I don't think it's a pump issue though,  it's me. I have scar tissue on one side from an injury that keeps me from producing much on that side. Before my injury, I EPd for 8 months and had a surplus of milk using a hospital grade. 

Sorry that got long. Hope it helps in some way.
    I have a slacker boob also. My left produces about 1/2 of what the right produces. It got undersrimulated early on, as my baby would nurse twice as much on the right side as the left was a harder latch due to a flatter nipple. 
  • Options
    We're combo nursing/pumping here. T gets expressed milk while at daycare and nurses when we're together. I feel super fortunate that he's able to switch between the 2 without any issues. I'm pumping 4x at work and T takes 3-4 3.5 ounce bottles at day care. He eats every 2-2.5 hours and I feel like he's eating too much. The "1 ounce for every hour" rule doesn't work for us. He's closer to 2 ounces an hour. Luckily I pump more that he takes now, but I'm worried that as he gets older I might have difficulty keeping up.

Also, welcome back! I don't have a Facebook and miss everyone who switched over! @thaisac1
  • Options
    We're combo nursing/pumping here. T gets expressed milk while at daycare and nurses when we're together. I feel super fortunate that he's able to switch between the 2 without any issues. I'm pumping 4x at work and T takes 3-4 3.5 ounce bottles at day care. He eats every 2-2.5 hours and I feel like he's eating too much. The "1 ounce for every hour" rule doesn't work for us. He's closer to 2 ounces an hour. Luckily I pump more that he takes now, but I'm worried that as he gets older I might have difficulty keeping up.

Also, welcome back! I don't have a Facebook and miss everyone who switched over! @thaisac1

hey!! L drinks more than 1 oz per hour also. Average 30 oz per day, up to 35 oz sometimes... He's been sleeping 10h at night, so during the day he drinks roughly every 2h, also.
  • Options
    thaisac1 said:

hey!! L drinks more than 1 oz per hour also. Average 30 oz per day, up to 35 oz sometimes... He's been sleeping 10h at night, so during the day he drinks roughly every 2h, also.
    Mine also drinks more than one ounce per hour. He takes 4 oz every 2.5-3 hours during the day. I make more than enough, but sometimes I have to take some of the milk from my first pumping session of the day (5 AM after an 8-hour night) to top off a bottle here and there during the day. He takes about 30 oz/day. 
  • Options
    Another EP'er over here. I began EPing after LO didn't do well on the breast. I have the Medela PISA with the freemie cups.  I pump 6x a day for 30 mins
  • Options
    LO also eats well over one ounce per hour. Couple that with only pumping an average of 2-2.5 oz per pump session, I have to pump at least 2x to make a decent sized bottle! Dang this bad boob... 
  • Options
    ejled said:
    Dang this bad boob... 
    Slacker boob is a real bitch. 

• Options
    ejled said:
    LO also eats well over one ounce per hour. Couple that with only pumping an average of 2-2.5 oz per pump session, I have to pump at least 2x to make a decent sized bottle! Dang this bad boob... 
    I hear you! I get almost triple from left side compared to my right. It's also no fun looking lopsided. Lol