September 2015 Moms
Options

DH not allowing me to spend the money on photographs for 1 year

DH not allowing me to spend the money on photographs for 1 year birthday. I am not happy but I understand where he is coming from to a point. With my gallbladder surgery and all the tests and hospital bills plus I wasn't working or getting paid for 1.5 weeks because I had no pto for my emergent surgery which I know is usually elective but when a stone gets stuck it no longer is elective. Anyway we also had to change day cares twice now. I started at a daycare right after surgery in july and 3 weeks in they tell me they are being closed by the people who own their lease and then I had to go and put another deposit down on another daycare and of course we also went and commissioned a mothers day necklace way before this and that needed to be picked up end of june and be paid for. We are financially messy but he will only be 1 once and photographs are soo important to me. My husband says we would take much better photos than a photographer and I am like your seriously on crack. I am just super sad at the way he was like 100 percent no. There wasn't even a discussion. I'm pretty sure he would have said no even if we were credit card balance free... I am trying to get over my selfish feelings about this but I can't help being sad. For those of you who may be taking photos at home any suggestions on how to keep them still enough or props or suggestions in general about this?

Re: DH not allowing me to spend the money on photographs for 1 year

• Options
    You may want to reach out to your neighbors through Nextdoor. We found an amateur photographer that took pictures for free ( we gave some cash as a thank you) because they were trying to build their portfolio. They were much better than any pictures I could take!
  • Options
    Well you probably thought of this already, but do you have any friends who are into photography who might photograph your LO with a nice camera? Another idea would be to see if there's a nearby college with a photography program, and you can get a student to take photos for a cheaper price. This is a long shot, but maybe you can find a photographer who is just starting out and needs photos for a portfolio, and will do it for free or a cheap price. I got photos of LO done for free when he was 7 months - the photographer took a bunch and is allowed to use them for marketing (without using LO's name or other info) and I was allowed to keep 3 images and buy more at a reduced rate. The photographer posted in a mom's group on Facebook, so you can ask around there.

And, if none of the above works, would tour DH be okay with buying a nicer camera for the pictures? It's more practical than using a professional one time, because you can spend the same or less on a nice camera that you can use for years. It's very frustrating that he didn't even discuss it with you though. Especially when you've had so many money-draining problems that are out of your control. Hope you figure something out!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you ladies- the professional I was booking was only charging 150! The amateur photographer looking to build a portfolio sounds like a great idea I may look into that. 
  • Options
    For keeping them still enough and focused on the camera, you could get those spinning light wands, or I use the cat's feather wand. For props, you could get a big old picture frame and see if lo will hold it, or go to the park or a local nature center and use that as a background. 
  • Options
    N15 lurker.  We have our photos taken at Target.  They do an amazing job.  We got a one time sitting fee for $30 that lasts 2 or 3 years and bought the cd.  The cd was on sale for $60.00.  
  • Options
    Okay, so I ask DH for a nice camera for my birthday a few months back because of this.  Taking pictures all the time does get expensive and I actually do find I get better pictures than the photographer.  My advice is to start now, the benefit is you have unlimited time.  If LO is feeling off one day or not cooperating you can just try again the next day which isn't possible with a professional.  I just give a ton of toys and props and prepare to spend some time taking candid shots.  
  • Options
    @ElleMF728 wow way to make my storm cloud go away! I absolutely love the unlimited time thought to it and that is such a super cute photo. 
  • Options
    @Yiggle09 Thanks! I actually asked him for a camera the day after our Christmas photo shoot with a photographer.  I found it very stressful to get all the shots we needed in the allotted time.  I do love taking pictures and hope to take classes in the future which helps make it more fun but you may find you enjoy it as well :) My husband was much more amiable to the large one time expense since it saves us money from here on out. Pinterest has a lot of great ideas for props and shots and even ways to do cheap backgrounds like taping wrapping paper to the wall or something. Good luck! 
  • Options
    Building on the amateur idea, if you have a college or community college near you, you could see if a photo student would be willing to take them for you! Many do it for free or REAAALLLY cheap. We had LO's 6 month pictures taken for $50 and they turned out amazing. 
  • Options
    Building on the amateur idea, if you have a college or community college near you, you could see if a photo student would be willing to take them for you! Many do it for free or REAAALLLY cheap. We had LO's 6 month pictures taken for $50 and they turned out amazing. 
    This would be a great idea. Good for you and for the student.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    So, I know you said you were looking for ideas of home photographs. I'm suggesting Target. That is where we have been getting my daughters photos take. And they actually do a really good job. I don't know if we are just lucky and the lady is good at it because my friend said she had a different experience and was not happy with hers. I believe it is a $10 sitting fee. I can't remember because we became members for like $29.99 for myself, husband and daughter so we don't have to pay a sitting fee for 2 years. Also, you can use coupons and combine them. For Easter I had gotton pictures and purchased my mother, sister, mil 5x7's, wallets to send with the Easter card and the Easter cards.  I believe I paid around $37.00. I'll attach one of the pictures.  Now, I did take all the probs but they still looked good! So that's an idea for you. Good luck with yours  if you do do them at home!
  • Options
     Oh yeah. And they are life touch photos 
  • Options
    I'm taking my own with the N3300 I begged for. LOL Pressure is on now, I'm already looking up props and poses. Thanks Pintrest. Candid are my favorite shots anyway. I am by no means a pro BUT I love taking artsy fartsy pics. And I'm pretty good with photo shop...and what I can't figure out, I have a friends teenager who lives to edit pictures. I'm going to try several times, take 50 pictures and pray five turn out great. Hehe! My DH said I can't spend 400$ on first birthday pictures if I got this camera....and I don't like paying that high anyway!! 
  • Options
    The Picture People is dirt cheap.  They don't charge a sitting fee and sometimes you can even walk in without an appointment.  Can't beat that.
    I just paid $19 for like 20 prints (of the same portrait--different sizes) of all my kids together.
    Laura, mom of:
    James (14)
    William (13)
    Elise (11)
    Zachary (5)
    George (3)

www.letterstoauntkay.com [making the blog private.  PM me if you want to subscribe]
  • Options
    Check Groupon for cheap sessions
  • Options
    See if any of the colleges around you have a photography program.....they constantly need models of all ages to complete their assignments. 
  • Options
    Honestly they come out better when you do them yourself anyway. They are comfortable with you and you can do it at your own pace. Usually can resell any props or outfits you buy for it too.