March 2017 Moms

New to babies

super weird question for a pregnant woman to ask... but are there any classes on how to interact with actual babies?

Not like practicing CPR on a doll or anything, but just giving people the opportunity to hold babies and hang out with them? I don't live near any of my new parent friends (moved recently) and honestly I've never spent any time with a newborn. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: New to babies

• This would be a great idea. When I was pregnant with my first, I spent some time nannying an older baby. It really helped and got me used to changing diapers and holding and snuggling :) 

do you have any friends or family with babies? If a friend asked me if they could "practice" with my kids, I'd be all for it :)
  • Faith1318Faith1318 member
    edited July 2016
    I have never heard of such a thing, and I can't imagine many new moms of newborns wanting to formally volunteer their baby to be handled by strangers for "training" of sorts. :) But if you meet any new acquaintances with babies in the coming months, you could always offer to help with baby-holding here and there. I'm sure a new friend might enjoy having both hands free to eat her lunch while you play with her little one for a bit.

If all else fails, I feel as though I have heard lots of moms say they had zero experience with babies before having their own, and they all learned just fine!

(edited to change some awkward wording)
    DD (8), DS (5), DD (3)
    baby #4 due March '17!
  • Loading the player...
  • I had never changed a diaper or fed a baby before I had my first. Hell I had never babysat and only help a baby a few times. The nurses are amazing and super helpful on all things babycare. You really do figure things out. 

That at being said, our hospital offered a class for soon-to-be new dads that probably would have been similar to what you're asking for just without the actual babies. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • After you give birth most hospitals have classes taught by nurses that are super helpful and its with your baby. DH and I did a intro class before hand too and it included a tour of the hospital and gave awesome tips for DHs. 
    Me: 35      Hubs: 27
    Married: 07/04/13
    BFP #1: 8/14/14, Baby Girl born 4/16/15
    BFP #2: 6/21/16, Baby Girl born 2/11/17
    BFP #3: 1/26/19, EDD 10/8/19
    Fur Babies: 2 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels (Piper and Mia)
  • I don't know if you are religious, but you could volunteer in the nursery at your church if that's an option. I don't really have any other suggestions, but just wanted to say you will be fine even if you don't get much practice in before hand. You will be a pro in no time.

Me 28 DH 28 Married 2012

TTC #1 since March 2015

Metformin + Femara + Gonal F + Trigger = BFP 6/24/16 

EDD 3/3/17

Found out it's a girl! 9/23/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • kjd291kjd291 member
    Don't worry, mama! You'll be totally fine!!  I always say God was good In the way he created babies... The first few days all they really do is sleep - there still kinda out of it and in womb mode.  You have time to adjust. And we all aren't perfect and make mistakes as parents, and you learn as you go! Bur your kid will not remember a single thing! 

it sounds cheesy--but all you need is love!! The rest will come with time :smile:
  • Our local health unit held prenatal classes...no live babies to hold but they did cover the basics like diapering and bathing,  and then the nurses are awesome too. Don't be scared to ask anything! I was SUPER baby inexperienced and I think I've managed to be a pretty damn good mom, so know that you don't need experience to rock this shit!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Have you looked for any expectant/new mom groups in your area? Especially if they have meetups you might have a chance to make friends and be around babies regularly in the process. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks all, I think I'll have to figure out some ways of making new friends! I moved from NYC to a VERY rural area where all of our neighbors are almost all empty nesters, so it's been a challenge. & our city friends are all artist types (read: not having babies) so we're in a weird situation.

I have 7 months to figure it out, I guess!!
  • My husband took a class at our hospital where new dads and soon to be dads got together, the new dads bringing their infants.

I hadn't held an infant in probably the past 20 years before having DD, and somehow I knew instantly what to do with her when she was born. Instinct takes over, you'll be fine!
  • @vprod if your schedule allows, maybe check into local child cares/daycares to see if they need volunteers? or if you have a new mom type of a store, I live upstate ny and there's a place called "waddle & swaddle" they sell all types of baby products, but they also offer many helpful classes pre-baby, and post-baby, something else to check out!
    **~*Noelle*~**
    Happily Wed DH in May 2010
    June 2012: DD#1 born after countless fertility cycles, our 4 year old miracle 
    TTC #2: current cycle: 225iu Menopur for 4 weeks, Ovidrel Trigger= BFP! Beta #1; 333, Beta #2 713! 1st u/s showed TWINS (7/18)
    BabyFruit Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I don't have anything to offer other than to tell you that I was in the same boat as a FTM and you will have your bumps, for sure, but it will mostly come natural very quickly. What you need to spend your time learning about is breastfeeding because for the most "natural" thing in the world, it is NOT! It is difficult and can be the hardest thing you deal with. I do recal taking some kind of "newborn care" class at the hospital so be sure to check with yours for classes offered.

Me: 36;  DH: 38
    DD: 7; DS1: 4; DS2 due 6-21-17!
    **TW**
    MMC & D&C Aug 2016