September 2015 Moms
Options

Picky Eater

Our son is 10.5 months, and his eating seems to be all over the place. Overall, I'd say he's a pretty picky eater.  One day he decided he no longer wanted any purees on a spoon, this went on for a good two weeks.  But, he would suck puree out of a pouch.  I figured he was ready to feed himself, and offered more finger foods.

Problem is, I put finger foods down and he will eat some, but mostly plays with it, drops it onto the floor piece by piece, etc.

He is no longer protesting the spoon as badly, but some meals I have to totally distract him by tickling his feet or legs while trying to spoon feed him!  

Things he loves:  cheerios, puffs, yogurt chips, havarti cheese, blueberries, bananas, strawberries (sometimes), waffles, some breads, most purees (veggie or fruit) in a pouch

Chunks of food we try ALL the time, but he will hardly eat OR completely refuses: chicken chunks, peas, carrots, broccoli, sweet potato, noodles, avocado (sometimes), squash, etc.

I go through this every day, put it down on his tray, he may take one taste and then just sits there and fusses after awhile, or will start dropping the food onto the floor.  I feel like he is so stubborn sometimes he would just sit there and refuse to eat.  Eventually I give in, and offer something I know for sure he will eat.  Like a puree pouch, or some yogurt.  

What do you ladies do when your LO refuses the food?  Is that all you offer and don't give them other options?  Am I giving in too soon and offering things I know he likes, so he just waits for it?  

It can just be SO frustrating...never thought eating would cause such stress sometimes!  I figured after I offered each food several times he would get used to it, but for the most part he isn't willing to try it, or does and then gets upset.  I was hoping at 10.5 months he'd be eating more of the food we eat at meals, just baby friendly versions.  

Re: Picky Eater

• Options
    Can you shred the chicken? DS LOVES shredded chicken and turkey. Sometimes he gets preoccupied and just plays with his foods, and that's what I put it in his mouth for him. He will finish everything but I just sometimes have to feed him the last bit of it by hand. He hates the spoon too unless it's for yogurt. 
  • Options
    I always offer one item I know she will eat. Then I give a few other options. Sometimes she eats them and sometimes she doesn't. She has been doing much better lately. It just depends on the day. I say just keep trying. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't give options. I prepare a balanced meal, give LO a bit of everything, and give her more when it's gone. That decreases waste a bit, because she can't toss it all. She goes through phases, and I try to ignore it. One day she hates eggs, the next week it's love, so I keep offering whatever we are eating. So far there isn't anything she has consistently declined. She's never had anything from the baby aisle (purees, puffs, melts, etc), and feeds herself (except yogurt)

I have a picky toddler in my dayhome, and he doesn't starve. Kids eventually eat the least objectionable items... he's also a big guy (34lbs at 15mo) so I've completely cut out the junk he likes at home (cereal, crackers, etc) to encourage balanced eating. I seat him first, and give the veg or fruit, then when everyone else is seated and served I go back and serve him the other half of his snack (like bread or cheese) or the rest of his meal. By that time he's usually eaten what I gave him first. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have a very picky eater right now too (at least I feel like she's picky) so I offer her several options. I always keep some scrambled eggs, shredded chicken and pasta rings ready to go in the fridge along with shredded mozerilla, yoghurt, and cottage cheese. I also have cheerios on hand too, this way if she isn't interested in what we're having for dinner, I have other things to try. She gets her fruits and veggies right now in puree form with lots of distraction because she won't eat them as finger food yet, so I keep offering. 

Everything I've read and everything my very experienced friends and our occupational therapist says that this is normal for toddlers and not to make a big deal out of it and basically go with the flow and eventually they grow out of it.  My DH was super picky as a kid, even when I met him, he had a long list of food he didn't like, but he eats most of that stuff now. 
  • Options
    I agree with @dmbfan46835!!! Shredding the chicken or changing the format of any food might make a difference! I don't have really have any experience with a picky eater..my kid eats EVERYTHING..usually lol. I would just say persistence is key.. Don't focus on one thing she won't eat as much as keeping it balanced. My kid really tends to favor fruits...shocker, I know..so I just make sure that if she gets a fruit in the morning, she also gets a serving of veggies, grains, and protein somewhere else in the day, too.