April 2016 Moms

What brand of pacifier does your LO use?

linzoirvlinzoirv member
edited July 2016 in April 2016 Moms

Since my LO left the hospital, he has been using the Avent Soothie and LOVES it. He will not part with that thing. Recently, my LO's daycare teacher told me that the Avent Soothies were not good for him because they will cause dental issues down the line. (Personally, I have never seen a child with jacked up teeth sucking a Soothie paci, but I digress...)

So, I bought him some 0-3 month Nuk orthodontic pacifiers over the weekend and he HATED it. He screams every time I try to give it to him.

What brand(s) work well with your LO? Also, when is a good time to switch to an ortho paci?

What brand of pacifier does your LO use? 52 votes

Nuk
5% 3 votes
MAM
40% 21 votes
Dr. Brown's
1% 1 vote
Avent
21% 11 votes
Tommee Tippee
5% 3 votes
Munchkin
0% 0 votes
Other
5% 3 votes
None
19% 10 votes

Re: What brand of pacifier does your LO use?

• I work at a day care facility and 99% of the babies we see use the Soothie. Don't know about issues down the road, but that's why I chose it. I then doubted myself and bought one of almost every other brand just in case (before LO arrived) and she won't take any other brand than the Soothie. Just my personal experience. 
  • We use MAM. It was the only brand we purchased, mostly due to the reviews. DS loves it! 
  • Loading the player...
  • I think I read that dental issues resulting from paci use don't really apply until a child is 2 years or older. I could be wrong...
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We use Mam. It's the only one DD will tolerate. 
  • linzoirvlinzoirv member
    edited July 2016
    redselig said:
    I think I read that dental issues resulting from paci use don't really apply until a child is 2 years or older. I could be wrong...

That's what I thought too. She insisted that I was giving him the wrong pacifier and that I needed to be proactive about changing him over to an ortho paci. He's almost 15 weeks and he's not showing signs of teething.

I guess I have to do more research. I'm going to talk with his pediatrician about next month also.

• From what I've been told, it's not a dental issue until much later on. I would just talk to the Ped and do whatever they recommend. Our little guy uses a Nuk mostly but he also has a wubanub & that has a soothie on it. Maybe she is working with some anecdotal information that has her so concerned? 
  • We got the MAM as a sample from Buy Buy Baby or something when we registered. It's the only one she has ever used and seems to like it.
  • My little guys hates pacifiers. We've tried so hard! He doesn't even like my thumb anymore... He'll just take the boob.. And the occasional bottle.
  • MAM all the way. I bought a Wubbanub because they're super cute and all of my friend's babies loved it, but my baby doesn't. She kinda just grimaced and spit it out  :(

She acts offended and disgusted if we try to offer her another brand of pacifier. I keep trying though, just in case she changes her mind, likes she's done about liking her mamaroo, her bouncy chair, being swaddled, being unswaddled, being rocked, being bounced...  :D

Pregnancy Ticker

• korpatch said:
    My little guys hates pacifiers. We've tried so hard! He doesn't even like my thumb anymore... He'll just take the boob.. And the occasional bottle.
    LO is just like this! He will gnaw the crap out of his fists though  :/
  • Callen only wanted the soothie fromt he hospital and the wubbanub at first, but about a week ago, he decided that he prefers Dr. Brown's. 
  • We keep trying with the paci, but R won't have it unless she's crazy hungry. She also won't take a bottle yet.

L used a Gumdrop or Smoothie (same shape) til she was 1.5 and wouldn't ever take an orthodontic one. Her bottom front teeth do tilt inward, but I don't know if it's related to her paci use or not.
    kids with flags
  • He loved the Soothie, probably since that was what they popped in his mouth the day he was born in the NICU. I think that is what's recommended for smaller babies anyway. As he has gotten bigger, his tastes have changed and he will take a standard NUK, Avent, or orthodontic NUK (his clear fave because I can put my finger in it, and he loves the pressure on his teething gums). It's nice to be able to swap them out, since I received so many as gifts before he was born.
  • My baby wouldn't take a paci until 3.5 months! I just kept trying and trying and now he likes it. He uses mam. 
    BFP #1 - 12/30/12 - EDD 9/13/13 - CP

BFP #2 - 2/13/13 - EDD 10/24/13 - born 10/29/13 - Kian Edward

BFP #3 - 7/16/15 - EDD 3/27/16 - born 3/23/16 - Liam James

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We started off with the soothe and he likes it but today his caretaker suggested the mam because the soothie falls out and wakes him. So far he likes the mam and was able to fall asleep for his nap quickly and paci still in after 20 mins.
  • LO has never wanted the pacifier since she was born she would spit it out,, she doesnt like bottles either,, we have tried different pacifiers and bottles but she just does not want nothing that is not her hand or boob in her mouth, 
  •  So many nods towards MAM brand...great! :)

I went and picked up 2 MAM pacifiers with the matching clip this morning before work. LO will be trying them out tonight; FX that MAM is a success. If not, I just wasted $7...

• We never got into pacifiers. He didn't seem to take to it right away and with all the conflicting advice I didn't know if I should give it to him anyway.
  • @linzoirv -So how did it go? :)

Pregnancy Ticker

• linzoirvlinzoirv member
    edited July 2016

@dancingsphinx22 LO really likes them! :) I wish they had more variety for boys though(colors/designs). But, I have 2 regular 0-6 month and 2 glow in the dark 0-6 months for night time.

• brenlo42 said:
    We keep trying with the paci, but R won't have it unless she's crazy hungry. She also won't take a bottle yet.

L used a Gumdrop or Smoothie (same shape) til she was 1.5 and wouldn't ever take an orthodontic one. Her bottom front teeth do tilt inward, but I don't know if it's related to her paci use or not.
    I doubt it. My DDs bottom two teeth are a bit tilted inward as well and she hated pacifiers like the plague ;)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I thought after a year is when ortho problems arise
  • Make sure you size up and discontinue the soothie kind sooner than later. In my professional opinion, pacifiers should be gone way before 2 years old. And after a year, really only if necessary at bedtime. But to each their own. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • AK118 said:
    Make sure you size up and discontinue the soothie kind sooner than later. In my professional opinion, pacifiers should be gone way before 2 years old. And after a year, really only if necessary at bedtime. But to each their own. 
    We threw out all the soothies a few weeks ago and they have been replaced with the MAM brand. Even now, he only uses them before nap/nighttime. We also agreed to have no more pacifiers after 12 months. We'll see how that goes...
  • Does anybody know where we can donate pacifiers? I've been googling to no real avail. I've discovered that some Goodwills take them, but not all. My local women's shelters list baby supplies, but only new pacifiers. If anybody has donated theirs to a local charity in their area & wants to post the info, I have accrued quite the collection of rejected ones to mail them...
  • It doesn't seem sanitary to me to donate them. Nor safe as it is recommended you replace pacifiers every few months. To me it would be like donating a used toothbrush. No thanks. 
  • edited August 2016
    yodiggity said:
    It doesn't seem sanitary to me to donate them. Nor safe as it is recommended you replace pacifiers every few months. To me it would be like donating a used toothbrush. No thanks. 
    I actually read a thread in which somebody said the same thing, but as long as the pacifiers were not used and sanitized over and over (thereby exposed to heat and breaking them down) and are in like-new condition many people still look for both pacis and baby bottle nipples. I also would not personally want a used pacifier for my own baby, but since reading that there are people that do, I am holding on to them to donate. 

ETA: I also read that some farms collect them as donations for piglets that can't suckle from their moms (downright adorable) if that's more your style.
  • Im in the same boat. Our baby only likes MAM, so we have a bunch of Nuk and Soothie pacifiers that she tried once and spat out. They've never been used since. Seems like a waste to just throw them out. 

I know a few girls that recently had babies, so I was going to ask them if they'd be interested in taking them. They're basically new. I think a good boil would be enough to sanitize them. 

@Missingchampagne do you know anyone (friends or family) that might want or need them? Also, maybe try putting an ad on Craigslist? Just specify that they were used, etc. 

Pregnancy Ticker