Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Potty training

I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but I've tried seemingly everything. DD is 26 months, and will tell me she needs to go potty, but it's after she just went. How do I get her to tall me beforehand?

I've tried many suggestions already. We've done rewards, with limited success. I've tried having her run around in underwear, or nothing, with absolutely no success, just accidents all over my house. I've also tried going at set intervals. She will sit on the potty with no success, only to pee in her diaper 5-10 minutes later.

What am I missing/not doing?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Potty training

• Options
    dufferoodufferoo member
    edited July 2016
    Welllll, at 26 months, it's possible she's just not quite ready yet. We, and many of the families I know, had much better success closer to the age of 3.
  • Options
    *LrCg**LrCg* member
    I've PT my 4 kids (daytime and nighttime) at ages 14 months, 15 months and 2 of them were 17 months old (not twins).  Each child was different and I had to use different methods with each.  IMHO at 26 months old she's ready by age default not to mention what she's showing to you.  One thing you're not saying is how long you've tried and if you're going back into diapers.  When I PT it was cold turkey not an option to go back- not even for naps or bedtime.  If she's telling you after she's went then she's recognizing something and needs some help.  Get a vinyl tablecloth from the store (they sell very large ones for $5) lay them down if you have carpet with a potty.  Keep her naked in a smaller room where there are less distractions and when she starts to go take her to the potty- don't shout just explain.  It may not click on day 1- maybe day 4 but it will click.  Don't do anything but PT- no trips, parks, errands, etc.  Let her focus.  Accidents are OK- in fact they're perfect- it's learning.   My kids took anywhere from 2 days- 9 days (ironically the younger ones did it faster).  I've done this method for 2 of them and the other 2 I had to do the timer method (first day was 30 minutes, 2nd day 1 hr, 3rd day 1 1/2 hours and then worked up to 2 hours).  The timer method children got very discouraged from accidents and wanted immediate success so that's why it worked out.  The other 2 wanted independence to be able to say when they had to go so they bulked at the timer method.  

Best of luck!  Have confidence in her- she can do this!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Give it time. She might not be ready. The more you push, the more likely she is to push back.
  • Options
    BestmomideasBestmomideas member
    edited August 2016
    My son potty trained at 29 months. I was really worried if that was too soon, but he was showing signs of being ready like dry diapers after naps, telling me when he had a dirty diaper, taking an interest in mom and dad going to the bathroom, etc. When we saw these signs we explained that he would no longer wear diapers (except to sleep until he had a little more control of his bladder). So we went straight to underwear that he picked out, and never let him switch back to a diaper. I think that's the trick, is once you decide it's time you need to stick with underwear so that they don't get confused about when it's OK to use a diaper or tell you they need to go potty.
  • Options
    Sounds like she is close but not fully ready. My DD did thr same for a few months, but the transition from being on the brink of potty training to being fully potty trained (daytime) took just a week with one accident because I forgot the potty while we were out of the house. When the kid is ready, it goes so smoothly.

Isabella & Julian & and now #3!