Potty Training
Options

Potty Training & Language Development

I have a couple questions! 
My DD is 18 months old (in a few days), my original goal was to start potty training at 18 months. However, she doesn't talk. She makes sounds and such but she doesn't use words. She understands many things, can point to animals/body parts etc. Can do simple tasks such as "Give to momma" or "close the door" etc. So I am worried, how do I potty train a kid that won't tell me she has to go? 

I just found out I am pregnant again (yay!) and I've altered my goal to: only 1 kid in diapers at a time! 

So I'd love to know if you have had any language barrier issues with potty training and how you overcame them. 

Also, I just ordered the book: "Oh Crap! Potty Training" by Jamie Glowacki - has anyone read/used her methods before? 

Also...a little bit odd, but how do you get an 18 month old to sit on the toilet (the big toilet with the seat on it)... I just can't see her doing that! (I do have a little potty for her though, but seems like many people skip that step) 

and one more final question, I used disposable diapers with DD, with the new one, I am contemplating doing reusable diapers. Any input? How the heck do you clean the soiled ones?!
imageimageimageimage
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Potty Training & Language Development

• Options
    Hi! I just changed to using cloth diapers. I rinse my poopy dipes in the toilet & scrape any solids with a rubber spatula. I've since heard metal works better. Then wash with directions from fluff university's website. 

I havent started potty training yet since on vacation but I'd just get a baby bjorn. Don't put on big potty yet! 

I'd try to start now. You'll be responsible for asking child to try for the first several months anyway. 

Im reading a variety of books from the library. See if yours has some free online to download. 
  • Options

I personally think it would be difficult to PT a child that doesn't talk BUT it's not impossible. My DD is 18 months and I'm not even trying yet because although she copies me when I'm going to the bathroom, I just don't feel like she's ready. And she DOES talk.

There are a few signs that a kid is ready for potty training like not wanting to be in wet/soiled diapers, showing a general interest in the potty and copying mom or dad when they go to bathroom because that shows understanding.

As far as using the big toilet goes, we got my son a little rubber seat that sits on the regular toilet and he used that for a long time. As hard as we tried, my son wasn't ready to potty train until he was almost 3.5. It was stressful and we pushed too hard so eventually we just had to back off and wait.

There's a cloth diaper board that might be really useful to you :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Personally, I think you have unrealistic expectations and views of potty training. At 18 months your daughter is still quite young. Is she showing signs/interest of using the potty? Is she asking to use the potty? Until then, there is no point in "training". Forcing is only going to take longer. When she is ready, she will use the pot and the "training" is literally only 2-3 days, when she is developmentally ready. You can use either the insert on the big toilet or the little potty. We have both, and my daughter chooses which she prefers. She is three, and can't quite get on the big potty herself. 
  • Options
    I've PT my 4 kids at what people consider a young age: 14 months, 15 months & 2 at 17 months.  All were PT for daytime, naps and bedtime.  It took anywhere from 2 days to 8 days (bedtime took a month or 2)- depending on the child (the ones I did at 14 & 15 months actually took the shortest).  Anyways I don't think verbal language skill is necessary.  Babies/toddlers explain a lot of what they want without words.  My 14 month old would tell us by either walking herself to the bathroom and waiting for us or she'd grab our hand and whine for a second.  But it was clear she was telling us.  For us, we felt our kids were ready when they could walk and follow simple direction. 

We also exclusively CD our kids.  The diapers we used were very basic so they were only cotton- not the fancy CD.  I put a fleece liner in their diaper to keep the moisture away and when they turned 1 years old I took it out and noticed they could feel the wetness.  Around that time I noticed they stayed drier longer and would get fussy when wet.  I liked basic diapers because you don't have issues with stink, repelling, detergent sensitivity, etc.  BM is water soluble so my kids were EBF for the first 9 months so I just put them in the wash and did a rinse first then wash.  Once they started food (they went straight to solid food) whatever rolled off the diaper into the toilet I flushed, otherwise I did a rinse then wash.  Super easy to CD.  I always recommend it.  I spent no more then $600 to diaper 4 kids and I do think it helped them PT.
  • Options
    We just potty trained our twins and they are 22 months old. It's not as bad as you think it will be! Once they get it, they get it! 

I would start small now and every time you go to the bathroom, take her with you and talk about what you do when you go potty in. Bring her potty in and let her sit on it, especially when you run the bath water, she will start to notice the feeling of going. 

Good luck, mama!