March 2017 Moms

Cloth diapering

Anyone planning to cloth diaper, and already building a stash? 

I didn't cloth diaper with my other 3 but might with this one. 

I very recently started building up a stash that I use mainly for long outdoor trips and for nap time and overnight with my 1 year-old since she's predominantly potty trained but still has a few accidents. And I'm thinking that this is easy enough that I could actually do this full-time with a newborn. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Baby #1 7/16/10
Baby #2 11/14/12 
Baby #3 12/11/14
Baby #4  3/30/17
Baby #5 2/28/19 
Baby #6 Miscarriage
Baby #7 7/3/22
Naturally with PCOS

Re: Cloth diapering

• I'm planning to cloth diaper! Probably easy prefolds and covers for the newborn stage, and AIOs for later. I haven't bought any yet though.

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • I cloth diaper my DS, we started at 13 days....mostly because I needed to get a handle on having a baby before adding cloth diapers to the mix! I liked gdiapers when my guy was little, now we use bum genius and Kawaii baby pocket diapers. I want to add more thirsties covers and inserts for the new baby. Everyone always comments on my DS's cute fluffy diaper bottom.
  • Loading the player...
  • yesssss the designs are soooooooo cute
    Baby #1 7/16/10
    Baby #2 11/14/12 
    Baby #3 12/11/14
    Baby #4  3/30/17
    Baby #5 2/28/19 
    Baby #6 Miscarriage
    Baby #7 7/3/22
    Naturally with PCOS

• Amazon sells some pretty cute ones I actually just started buying them on Amazon prior to that I would only buy bum genius from Babies R Us because I thought the internet ones I would end up with like the cheapies that leaked but I'm glad that I actually did give Amazon a try because I got a order that had like 6 of them and included inserts for the pockets
    Baby #1 7/16/10
    Baby #2 11/14/12 
    Baby #3 12/11/14
    Baby #4  3/30/17
    Baby #5 2/28/19 
    Baby #6 Miscarriage
    Baby #7 7/3/22
    Naturally with PCOS

• YES! I have a stash from my DS, we'll use Bum Genius and Flip's mainly. I have a handful of other brands mixed in too. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We use cloth with my son and love it. We use AMP and Best Bottoms and Funky Fluff mostly. Funky Fluff is my favorite pocket/AI2 style and Best Bottoms are my favorite covers. I don't use their inserts though. I just stuff with FSTs or prefolds, etc. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I haven't even heard of two of those brands and really had no idea so many different brands were out there. 
    Baby #1 7/16/10
    Baby #2 11/14/12 
    Baby #3 12/11/14
    Baby #4  3/30/17
    Baby #5 2/28/19 
    Baby #6 Miscarriage
    Baby #7 7/3/22
    Naturally with PCOS

• I tried cloth diapers (apple cheeks) with my daughter.  Unfortunately, they leaked quite a bit, so I ended up using disposebles after all, but I kept them in case of emergencies, (if I forgot to pack enough diapers in the diaper bag or let my supply at home run too low).  I like to keep them as a back up.  Apple cheeks were the only kind I tried so I can't say that other kinds of cloths might not work better :wink:
  • Maybe you could use them in instances where you expect less bathrrom usage.  not sure how old your DD is but my 1yr old loves them for potty training. Its not a pull up which  my DD used as a diaper but the cloth I presume the feel helps equate it with panties so she does great with them. 
    Baby #1 7/16/10
    Baby #2 11/14/12 
    Baby #3 12/11/14
    Baby #4  3/30/17
    Baby #5 2/28/19 
    Baby #6 Miscarriage
    Baby #7 7/3/22
    Naturally with PCOS

• I cloth diapered my first for 18 months and my second for 12 months. I used BumGenius. I was all or nothing back then and we started having stink issues that we could not get rid of no matter what we tried so we just quit.

Now I am thinking we will do it part-time, basically only when we are at home. They are so bulky to lug around between the diapers and the bag for the soiled diapers, and I think I am over that. And I kept all the diapers I thought were still good but I might just toss the old and buy new ones since it has been 3 years and we won't need to buy as many if we only do it part-time. That way I can be sure we don't start with a stink issue right off the bat. I can't wait to start researching, I am sure so much has changed!

Me: 36;  DH: 38
    DD: 7; DS1: 4; DS2 due 6-21-17!
    **TW**
    MMC & D&C Aug 2016
  • i don't know if I could do it full time hands down to you for that one is a lot of work I'm sure.  
    I find just the few accidents my DD has to be a lot in added laundry lol
    Baby #1 7/16/10
    Baby #2 11/14/12 
    Baby #3 12/11/14
    Baby #4  3/30/17
    Baby #5 2/28/19 
    Baby #6 Miscarriage
    Baby #7 7/3/22
    Naturally with PCOS

• Lurking from Feb 17 
    We are planning on using a combo of gDiapers and Honest Co disposables. G diapers are cloth pants with the option of cloth or disposable inserts. They are really neat, although from my research the disposable insets work best. But they are still eco friendly, you can compost them yourself which says a lot about their ingredients! If it were up to my hubby we would be doing g diapers 100% of the time, but I like the idea of using regular (majors natural) disposables while we are traveling, in a rush at the zoo etc. Anyways, those are our plans, and the g diaper system seems really sustainable from a users perspective, and that's what I have heard from my friends who use them as well. Hope this helps!