September 2016 Moms

BTDT question- umbilical cord clamps

edited July 2016 in September 2016 Moms
I was thinking today about the clamp they usually put on the umbilical cord after birth. I don't remember it being an issue with DD1 or DS1, but with DD2, it got caught on everything and I worried about it ripping off her cord accidentally. I could have sworn it was standard to remove them before discharging, but now I'm curious. 

Did your baby:
Wife to A; Mama to C (2009), N (2011), H (2014) & baby F due 09/16/16

BTDT question- umbilical cord clamps 32 votes

Go home with the cord clamp on, fell off all together
12% 4 votes
Have the cord clamp removed before discharge
87% 28 votes
Removed the cord clamp ourselves
0% 0 votes
SS
0% 0 votes

Re: BTDT question- umbilical cord clamps

• Our clamp doubled as the hospital security monitor, so they definitely removed jt before we left! I'm glad too, I bet that would be so annoying!
  • I don't remember...I don't think she had a clamp at home. 
    Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • They removed our daughter's sometime while she was on the bili lights for her jaundice. And the nurse actually said something that led me to believe she had hers on longer than they usually keep them on.

• I honestly don't remember either (almost 7 years ago)... But I think they took it off before we left the hospital. 
    FORMER USERNAME: @runningisrad

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • drmh22drmh22 member
    I'm not 100%, but I'm pretty sure it was removed before we went home.
  • Ours was a security monitor so it came off before we left. I also distinctly remember the "imprint/ pattern" it made on the cord. 
  • I don't remember 100%. They must have taken it off because I sure as hell didn't, and the pediatrician ended up just taking off the stump at one our our appointments since it was so dangly. Baby belly button stumps gross me out and having a baby did not change that.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't remember 100%. They must have taken it off because I sure as hell didn't, and the pediatrician ended up just taking off the stump at one our our appointments since it was so dangly. Baby belly button stumps gross me out and having a baby did not change that.
    Me too!!!! I hate them and they make me so paranoid that I'm going to rip it off. DD's didn't fall off for at least 2 weeks. I wanted it off so bad.