September 2015 Moms

sleep training again, still not working..

okay. I'm doing all naps and bedtime in Ferber. Checking every 5, 10, 15, 20 min. NOTHING is working. This IS day one. I have tried this method 2 other times, and it got worse with each passing day. He just stands on the crib rails and cries. We are almost 11 months of zero sleep in this house UNLESS he is co sleeping....then I don't sleep because of him in bed. I have tried other ways of sleep training. Nothing works. When I go in and check I repeat the following:
no talking.
wipe is face off.
lay him down.
cover him in blanket.
rub his back or tummy.
walk out. 

I am consistent.

I HAVE to start sleeping. I need to be myself again. I need to save my marriage(haven't snuggled my own DH in almost a year), I have gained weight from stress and am just all around miserable. 

At at what point do I quit because it isn't working? He won't even transfer to a crib because he wants to physically be snuggling mommy. I'm a mess, he's a mess. I just want to feel any emotion other than crabby, exhausted and miserable. It's so bad, I honestly don't want more children because I can't sign up for this again, knowing how miserable it is. 

Re: sleep training again, still not working..

• RobsMrs77RobsMrs77 member
    edited July 2016
    Want to reach out and give you a massive hug. I can so sympathise with you love. It sounds like our house. Unfortunately giving up will only result in you having your baby in bed with you until he's a toddler, and possibly longer. I've spoken in depth to my health visitor about this, and she's advised to do the same as what you're doing, only doing it for longer i.e a week! 
    So far I've not managed a week as it was disturbing my other son who had school the next day, also I was on my knees with exhaustion. Now it's the holidays so I'm going to try my hardest to nail it. She did advise that I'd be even more sleep deprived than I am already (just what I wanted to hear) but with persistence it will work. It certainly doesn't feel like that when I'm up for the 6th time, and it's only 3am!! 
    What happens when he's asleep with you? will he go in his cot then when in a deep sleep? or does he wake as soon as you put him down? I can get away with an hour or so if I do this, but it pisses me off, as I know that what I'm doing isn't right. I also give Jake a 4oz bottle when he wakes, I find that helps knock him out for a bit. I nurse him in bed, and then pop him back in his cot once he's nodded off again. I've been told at his age he should be able to go all night without a bottle, but like you I'm trying my hardest and at the end of my tether.

Please don't let this put you off having anymore babies love. Believe me, they're not all like this when it comes to sleeping. Our first born was a fab sleeper. Slept through from 3/4 months in his cot. No problem with teething. In fact,  I wondered what everyone was taking about saying the first year was the hardest. Now I get it! All I can say is hang in there mama. You're not alone! a d you're doing your best! Also try to nap when you can. Leave your baby with daddy or a family
    member whilst you catch up on some sleep. It will make you feel better mentally and physically. I went through a depressed stage too over it, however I lost weight, which is the only bloody good thing to come out of it. 

Keep your chin up sweetheart. I'm always here if you want to get it all out. We could thrash it out together. Big hugs from across the pond.  <3

• Loading the player...
  • @dmbfan46835 dont feel bad! It worked! I'm jealous, lol. :) 
  • One: how is the gallbladder? Two: we sleep trained at 4.5 months so my suggestions may not even be helpful but here goes. We noticed he was eating less and less from the bottle at wake times which signaled us that he didnt need to eat just was waking from routine possibly talked it over with pediatrician at his 4 m visit. The first night we did not do anything he woke up cried for over 20 mins but below 30 I watched on the monitor as my husband rubbed my back and then he went back to sleep. He woke 2 more times the first night once for 15 then ten. Next night he woke twice very briefly and the next he woke once and that was the last time he has woken up in the night since december. He is happy, healthy but I believe his self soothing has been directed to a toy or thin swaddle cloth that he can bite on while hes asleep. He never took a paci had latch issues and couldnt even keep that in if he wanted to so I guess Ill take a blanket in the mouth over waking up a whole bunch. Now we had a little set back with naps and going to sleep when he learned to pull up and stand but didnt know how to sit back down. We would go up after ten minutes lay him back down and walk out. We did this twice third time we left him. If he cried for another 20 we would take him out and bring him down stairs and try again when he started getting nap cranky again. Eventually he learned to stay laying or sit back down. 
  • I'm normally disturbed by CIO methods and try not to comment on them any more. But our babies are getting older and having read your previous pleas for help I can see you are at your breaking point and I feel for you. 

My baby girl is a decent sleeper. On nights where she doesn't want to go back down in her crib, I don't give in. I will hold her until she gets sleepy and then put her back down. She starts to cry, I try to pat her butt and sing to her and if that doesn't work within a minute or 2, I pick her back up and try again. I keep repeating this until she sleeps in her crib. Even if it takes hours. Yes it's exhausting and the next day I'm a zombie but I feel it has helped her understand nighttime sleep is crib only and not to know that there's even another option. But then again, we never bed shared. She was in a Moses basket next to our bed before she went to her own room around 5.5 months. So I don't know how helpful this suggestion would be to you. 

The key seems to be not putting her down fully asleep. If she's tired enough, she opens her eyes a bit, snuggles up next to her bumpers and goes to sleep. We have short fluffy bumpers---got them a month or so ago and they've made a big difference in her comfort in the crib. So I just cuddle and bounce her, occasionally nurse her until sleepY, then she's put down. It takes a while for her to give up and just go to sleep. But I feel better not letting her go crazy crying her eyes out. 

i will occasionally give her a big bottle in her crib and just wait until she finishes it (watching with the monitor), and many times she will drink it, throw it aside and sleep, when she doesn't, I use the above method. 

I've never read any sleep training books, CIO or no cry solutions, so I'm definitely no expert. And I'm aware all children are different and what works for one may not work for another. Just thought I'd share in case it helps.

Good luck. Hope you start resting soon. It's tough going parenting on little sleep. 
    BFP May 2013 - MMC at 8 weeks
    BFP September 2013 - MMC at 12 weeks
    BFP February 2014 - early loss/CP at 4.5 weeks
    BFP May 2014 - MMC/ complete molar pregnancy at 11 weeks
    BFP December 2015 - DD born 8/18/2015
    BFP November 2016 - pending...

• vibarra27vibarra27 member
    edited July 2016
    Have u asked the doc to see if anything might be wrong(God forbid).?

I lay my boys down in seperate rooms, give them a bottle on their boopy pillow & walk out. I dont walk in unless they cry & all i do is make sure theyre not hurt & walk back out. I check on them every 10 min with out them seeing me. &. Sometimes they are in the room babbling & standing in the crib. The longest its taken them to fall asleep is 30 min but because DH is in the room talking & playing with them :angry: but its usually 5-10min. If after theyve had their 8oz bottle & they cry i give them water, walk out & they fall back asleep. I dont talk to them nor take them out. Just give them what they need(bottle,blanket fix them in the crib) & out i go.

Maybe hes hot? Here in Denver its been hot @ night so leaving them in a onesie, having the fan on them& giving them a bottle with water  has been my savior. Maybe try intervals. Leave him be for 15 min in the crib. The next 20 or 25. Then half an hout. Leave him longer & longer until it works.
    Just dont give in momma. I could not imagine not cuddling with hubby for so long! Good luck.
  • Ferber says that often night 2 is worse than night 1, so it's not abnormal for it to get a little worse before it gets better.  Staying consistent is key so that you aren't teaching baby that you will give in if he or she cries longer each time.  

Also, not sure if it makes a big difference but Ferber says to do they same time intervals each night, increasing each day.  So, for example, night 1 check on baby every 5 minutes.   Then, night 2 check on baby every 7 minutes, etc. until you get to 20 mins on night 6 or 7.  Usually by that point they are asleep well before 20 minutes anyway.  

If if you are on Facebook, there is a great group called Respectful Sleep Training/learning that has lots of great files and mamas going through the same thing as you.  It's a great place to get info, advice, and encouragement.  I learned in there that if the baby is standing in the crib, it is recommended to only lay them down one time.  After that, it is up to them to learn to lay down on their own.  Otherwise, it can become a game to them and they will cry and stand up to get you to come back in to lay them down.
  • Thanks everyone. I'm just so beyond defeated. I feel like I have the same post about every 8 weeks about how I'm going out of my mind with no sleep. 

Here's my biggest issue: when he co-sleeps, I don't sleep. He flips and flops and cries out of he isn't touching me in some way. I'm awake every 15 minutes from something and worried he I'll fall off the bed!! I'm a light sleeper. My DH sleeps deep. Our son sleeps I between us. We even moved the crib into our bedroom around 7 months to see if he would transfer or sleep in there with us. Nope. Didn't help. I just thought we would be past this at almost a year old?!
    My DH works nonstop so I can stay home with LO(daycare would take 3/4 of my paycheck). So, it's me. Help isn't here. I would be golden if I could actually sleep at night. Sadly, I hardly eat anything and still am gaining for the first time in my entire life!! Lost all of what little baby weight I had...then around December it all started creeping back. So frustrating. 
    Our LO will sleep all night in our bed, but I don't. I can only truly get sleep if he's not laying next to me. 
    I was soooooooo against any form of CIO until a few months ago. I still hate it and cave and give up. But this time he isn't teething...so it should be doable. But he just stands up and screams. And for heavens sake he's almost a year old!! I love him more than anything and would never do anything that would hurt him. I have so many friends that swear by CIO and say once LO sleeps, I will feel like a new woman. 

My LO also never took a pacifier...haven't even tried one since 4 months old. He doesn't self sooth at all. Probably my fault for running to save him at every whimper! What do I do?? I feel like it's all my fault and I'm so annoyed with myself. I thought about buying one of those turtles that are soft and project stars at the ceiling/plays soft music. I always use a noise maker! 
  • Ok, it sounds like co sleeping isn't for you.  I don't blame you, I wouldn't sleep well either.  So you need to teach your babe how to sleep in the cot on their own.  There are gentle methods and rip the bandaid off methods.  

Gentle - pick up put down, sssshhh pat the bum until they sleep.  These will take longer and are more physically exhausting for you.  My friend had success with the standing by just going in laying her son down over and over until he went to sleep.  The first night she did it over 50 times.  It gradually got better and now he doesn't stand at all when it's nap time.

With a faster approach that will involve crying, I personally found my babe got more worked up when I checked on her.  So, I just didn't but looked at the monitor.  One night she cried on and off for 1.5 hours.  It is very common for it to get worse 3/4 nights in.  You have to be soooo consistent - every single time you have to do the same method.  If you let them cry for 30 mins and then go in, the 30mins is wasted. 

Finally, what is your day nap schedule like? Is there enough time between last nap and bedtime or is there too much time? Does your babe nap at the same times each day. There are common sleep windows for putting babe down around 9/9:30 and 1/1:30 then between 6/7.  This is when their bodies start to naturally prepare for sleep.  

Also, have you heard of a lulla doll? It mimics your heartbeat and breathing and people have had excellent results transitioning to a cot using them.
  • Check this thing out https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/parenting/news/a39563/lulla-doll-helps-kids-sleep/
    its supposed to be the miracle sleep toy. 

also, I bought a dock a tot https://dockatot.com/collections/dockatot-grand and I love it. You could put LO in it in your bed, then use it to transition him to his crib. And then eventually his big boy bed. I love it. DS snuggles up on the sides and doesn't flail around in his crib. It cradles him. 
  • J1DJ1D member
    Have you tried putting the crib right next to your bed or a bed next to the crib in the nursery?
    Cause then you can stick your arm in the crib to soothe baby while he cries himself to sleep. Then once he gets to where he'll sleep on the crib with your arm in it you can scoot the crib away father and father and eventually have him sleep in his crib in his own room by himself. 
    It'll take time but maybe it's the more gentle transition your kiddo needs.

Does your baby spend much time in his crib? I slowly introduced my baby to the crib by leaving him there briefly when he was wide awake and happy and I was right there doing something near him. Then I'd leave him for longer and longer, then we started naps in the crib and then we moved to nighttime sleeping in the crib.

I see that someone else suggested the doc a tot. Maybe that could be your first transitional move. Baby would still be in bed with you, just not touching you. Then once he learns that's ok you can try moving him to the crib or if you can put your mattress on the floor and his crib mattress on the floor next to you, you can start scooting the doc a tot with him asleep in it on to his mattress. Basically getting him to sleep without touching you and then his own space and then later work on the crib.

My baby initially wouldn't sleep without being on me, so we started with him on me, then him next to me, then him in bed but not touching me at all, then bassinet next to the bed and then into the crib.
  • @Bellarose212 if you wouldn't mind, I'd love to hear what your sleep coach did. I feel like I've been reading sleep advice on here for at least 6 months and it seems like many of us still have bad sleepers. I'd be interested to see how what she did compares. You know, always looking for that "magic sleep secret" that maybe no one has mentioned before
  • I'm interested too. I have been getting 4/5 hours of sleep since baby girl was 4 months old. We are getting desperate!!! I appreciate everyone's suggestions. 
  •  I'll try to answer a few of the questions on here all together!! He use to play nicely in his crib. Ever since I tried CIO he flips out any time of day in his crib. Even with toys and lights on with me standing there. Full blown melt downs. :( 

I tried the crib next to the bed, it wasn't helpful.

Naps are OK. Two, 2 hour naps most days. I rely heavily on the MammaRoo, not going to lie. Or, he's sleepy enough to fall asleep on me and I lay him down somewhere other than he crib now(because after CIO he instantly wakes and freaks...then he won't fall back to sleep for the nap. Bedtime is my issue. 

I would LOVE and be grateful for anything that sleep coach said or did... @Bellarose212  
  • I just want to say a big thank you to every drop of support this board gives, all the advice, comments, and the air hugs! I am grateful for all of it.

Should I put his crib back in his room?? Or is it okay in our bedroom? 
  • Is he maybe getting too much day sleep? My daughter is a terrible napper and only takes 1 40-60 minute nap a day either in her car seat or while I bounce or nurse her (sometimes both). But come bedtime she's happy to see her crib to rest most nights. She sleeps 12-13 hours to make up for it a bit I think. Maybe try not letting him sleep so much during the day and see if that makes a difference at bedtime?

Again, I'm no expert and this could be terrible advice but 4 hours of daytime sleep seems like a lot to me. 
    BFP May 2013 - MMC at 8 weeks
    BFP September 2013 - MMC at 12 weeks
    BFP February 2014 - early loss/CP at 4.5 weeks
    BFP May 2014 - MMC/ complete molar pregnancy at 11 weeks
    BFP December 2015 - DD born 8/18/2015
    BFP November 2016 - pending...

• @Bellarose212 if you wouldn't mind, I'd love to hear what your sleep coach did. I feel like I've been reading sleep advice on here for at least 6 months and it seems like many of us still have bad sleepers. I'd be interested to see how what she did compares. You know, always looking for that "magic sleep secret" that maybe no one has mentioned before
    Me too! :)
  • Is he maybe getting too much day sleep? My daughter is a terrible napper and only takes 1 40-60 minute nap a day either in her car seat or while I bounce or nurse her (sometimes both). But come bedtime she's happy to see her crib to rest most nights. She sleeps 12-13 hours to make up for it a bit I think. Maybe try not letting him sleep so much during the day and see if that makes a difference at bedtime?

Again, I'm no expert and this could be terrible advice but 4 hours of daytime sleep seems like a lot to me. 
    I know...I just always hear: never wake a sleeping baby. Lol. I don't know what to do. He doesn't sleep 12 hours at night though. He normally sleeps from 9-6. Not always but normally 8 or 9 hour at night. 
  • Gosh, I'm so sorry you're having these issues! A lot of people are offering good ideas. I would just be as consistent as possible with Ferber. Is your DH around for bedtime? Can he switch his schedule for a week so that He can put your LO down? Ferber worked better for my family when my husband was the one doing the checks. Another idea: can you give your LO a piece of your clothing to cuddle with in the crib, so he smells you at night? Good luck, hang in there!
  • I still rock to sleep, and I found it much easier to transition my son into the crib if I rock him wrapped in a soft blanket and put him down with it still underneath him. I figure it's warm and he doesn't get startled by the cold sheet. You can sleep with that blanket first so it smells like you when you put him down with it. 

I also read somewhere that a mom recorded herself "shh-ing" over white noise and played that all night for her baby. That way when the baby woke he heard mom and thought she was in the room. 

And I've seen online, not sure if it was a pajama or a sleep sack, but it had something sewn in over the chest area so it's a bit heavier and baby thinks your hand is on his chest. If your baby is a stomach sleeper, I saw on Pinterest to fill a winter glove with rice or beans or something and sew it shut really well, and place on baby's back after you put him down so he feels the weight and thinks it's your hand.

Maybe a combination of the shh-ing white noise, your scent on the blanket, and the weighted glove would make baby think you're still there. And if effective, you could slowly drop one item at a time. It sounds like such a big science haha but every baby is different and what works for one baby may not work for another. Personally, CIO or Ferber does not work for my son. He will cry until he's purple and tear-streaked for any amount of time, and fall asleep instantly the second I pick him up from the crib. So I rock him to sleep, put him down with the blanket and some white noise, and sometimes we're lucky enough to make it to morning. Sometimes not! 

I really hope I helped and I hope you find something to work for your family. 
  • Oh one more thing I forgot... The sleep trainer told us to never let him play in the crib. She said its only for sleeping and will be very confusing if you let him play in there. 
  • LoveLee85 said:
    Thanks everyone. I'm just so beyond defeated. I feel like I have the same post about every 8 weeks about how I'm going out of my mind with no sleep. 

Here's my biggest issue: when he co-sleeps, I don't sleep. He flips and flops and cries out of he isn't touching me in some way. I'm awake every 15 minutes from something and worried he I'll fall off the bed!! I'm a light sleeper. My DH sleeps deep. Our son sleeps I between us. We even moved the crib into our bedroom around 7 months to see if he would transfer or sleep in there with us. Nope. Didn't help. I just thought we would be past this at almost a year old?!
    My DH works nonstop so I can stay home with LO(daycare would take 3/4 of my paycheck). So, it's me. Help isn't here. I would be golden if I could actually sleep at night. Sadly, I hardly eat anything and still am gaining for the first time in my entire life!! Lost all of what little baby weight I had...then around December it all started creeping back. So frustrating. 
    Our LO will sleep all night in our bed, but I don't. I can only truly get sleep if he's not laying next to me. 
    I was soooooooo against any form of CIO until a few months ago. I still hate it and cave and give up. But this time he isn't teething...so it should be doable. But he just stands up and screams. And for heavens sake he's almost a year old!! I love him more than anything and would never do anything that would hurt him. I have so many friends that swear by CIO and say once LO sleeps, I will feel like a new woman. 

My LO also never took a pacifier...haven't even tried one since 4 months old. He doesn't self sooth at all. Probably my fault for running to save him at every whimper! What do I do?? I feel like it's all my fault and I'm so annoyed with myself. I thought about buying one of those turtles that are soft and project stars at the ceiling/plays soft music. I always use a noise maker! 
    Just a comment on your star projector/music toy: We have one for LO and turn it on when we lay him down for all naps and bedtime. It plays for 45 minutes, then shuts off. He loves it and it's a good distraction, and tells him it's bedtime. Worth trying anyways if it would help calm him down! We also have a small 6x6 inch soft taggies blanket in his crib for him to cuddle with and a small stuffed animal. He usually plays with them before he falls asleep.

Our LO has always been a good sleeper, but for the first almost 10 months, we would lay him down completely asleep. Then that stopped working, and we had to figure out the drowsy but awake thing, which did involve some crying. I've never been a fan of CIO, but we basically did the Ferber method and went in to check on him in 10 minute intervals, but he always fell asleep within 15-20 minutes. It worked, and within a few days he was falling asleep on his own without even crying, but I know I would have had a really hard time staying strong if he put up more of a fight, so I can totally understand why you're having a tough time!

If your husband is able to help, I found that my LO would fall asleep faster when DH laid him down for bed and went in to check on him because LO is a huge momma's boy and more clingy with me. If he's able to help, even for the first few days, it's worth trying! I also had to find something to distract myself in those minutes when LO was crying so I didn't go crazy just staring at the monitor. 

Hope you can find something that works! Hugs!
  • We have been bed sharing and are also attempting to get him in the crib. We put the mattress on the floor and put the crib next to it without the front gate so it's almost like the same bed. I let him fall asleep next to me on the big bed then quietly scoot into his crib. Then at night I can still cuddle him and breast feed him while he's in the crib. It's been working really well because in the last few weeks I noticed that he's starting to prefer the crib because he has so much more room than the bed. Sometimes he wakes up the middle of the night, crawls over and breastfeeds then lays back in the crib. He's never been sleeping better since we did this. The goal is to eventually put the front of the crib back on and keep the bed right next to it, then when he's comfortable with that, we'll move the bed to the other side of the room and then eventually move the bed out all together. We surrounded the bed with blankets and pillows so if he wakes up and we're not in bed next to him, he can get out of bed himself and just walk into the living room. We tried Ferber at six months and it was horrible so we're trying a new gentle method. Although there still might be some crying when we leave the room. We'll see how it goes! Here's a picture of the set up.
  • @bellarose212 your advice was so amazing and detailed! I may use some of this for nap time. Thank you for taking the time to type all of this up for everyone. 

Ps- can I ask how expensive a sleep trainer is? I didn't even know this was a thing. I'd have hired one MONTHS ago!! Lol
  • @bellarose212 your advice was so amazing and detailed! I may use some of this for nap time. Thank you for taking the time to type all of this up for everyone. 

Ps- can I ask how expensive a sleep trainer is? I didn't even know this was a thing. I'd have hired one MONTHS ago!! Lol
    I think a sleep consultant is excellent if you feel like you might have trouble being consistent and need someone there to keep you accountable.  However, everything she said is found in Ferbers book, which is $12 on Amazon.   If you are simply looking for more detailed info on his sleep training method and tips on how to handle specific situations like teething, sickness, travel, etc.  I would suggest reading the book before spending the money for a sleep consultant.
  • @dmbfan46835 Oh good! I'm so glad it was helpful! I know a lot of it is similar to Ferber's method. I have read sleep training books, but I couldn't do it myself. I think I was too scared to let him cry for long and needed someone there to hold my hand through it all. I also was so out of it from lack of sleep that I just really felt that we needed someone there to help us. We live in Manhattan where everything is a fortune, but her prices are listed on the website parentingunlimited.com. 
  • @dmbfan46835 Oh good! I'm so glad it was helpful! I know a lot of it is similar to Ferber's method. I have read sleep training books, but I couldn't do it myself. I think I was too scared to let him cry for long and needed someone there to hold my hand through it all. I also was so out of it from lack of sleep that I just really felt that we needed someone there to help us. We live in Manhattan where everything is a fortune, but her prices are listed on the website parentingunlimited.com. 
    I live in a super small town! How cool to have stuff like this available!! I need support, also. It's easy to start to second guess yourself when your exhausted and hearing the nonstop crying...ugh.