Trying to Get Pregnant

Need Advice on TTC!

Hello all! This is my first time on this site. I would love some feedback from anyone willing!

I am currently indecisive on when exactly to start TTC. I work at a tax office and have to somewhat plan around that season. Originally, my DH and I had decided to start trying during my cycle in August--which, If I were to get pregnant on the first try, would put me at 37 weeks pregnant on the busiest time at my job. So I guess my question is, should I wait another month to start trying even though it might take me longer to actually get pregnant OR should I go ahead and just chance it knowing that if I do get pregnant right away, I'll be really far along.
I'm just really unsure of how likely it is to go into labor at 37 weeks so I know that should play a role in the decision as well. Any help/ advice is appreciated. I am leaning towards just going ahead and TTC like we had planned in two weeks but I just want some feedback or reassurance from this community.

Thank you in advance!  

Re: Need Advice on TTC!

• Hello all! This is my first time on this site. I would love some feedback from anyone willing!

I am currently indecisive on when exactly to start TTC. I work at a tax office and have to somewhat plan around that season. Originally, my DH and I had decided to start trying during my cycle in August--which, If I were to get pregnant on the first try, would put me at 37 weeks pregnant on the busiest time at my job. So I guess my question is, should I wait another month to start trying even though it might take me longer to actually get pregnant OR should I go ahead and just chance it knowing that if I do get pregnant right away, I'll be really far along.
    I'm just really unsure of how likely it is to go into labor at 37 weeks so I know that should play a role in the decision as well. Any help/ advice is appreciated. I am leaning towards just going ahead and TTC like we had planned in two weeks but I just want some feedback or reassurance from this community.

Thank you in advance!  
    Welcome

I've never been pregnant so I can't comment about going into labour at 37 weeks, but I would think at 37 weeks you're going to be pretty big and uncomfortable and there are so many complications that could arise, that you really need to consider if you also want to be at the busiest part of your job at the same time. If you had a complication and couldn't work would that impact your job? I would personally wait the extra month just to make things a little easier during your busiest time of year.
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with what everyone else has said. There is no "right" answer. For me personally, at my age (35), I would just start trying and if I happened to conceive right away, I would just have a plan in place to deal with the work inconvenience. That would allow many months to figure it out and mentally prepare.  And as a recent newbie myself, I will say the newbie resources really are great and very helpful! This has been a very welcoming place :)

Me: 36  DH: 41
    DS: 07/03/11
    TTC #2: July 2016
    BFP: 4/19/17 EDD: 12/31/17
  • I agree with all that the PPs said but wanted to add one thing: you are in charge. If you are nervous about being super pregnant at an inconvenient time, then wait a month.  I am of the mindset that if I'm trying to get pregnant on purpose, then I might as well control the factors that I actually can control. DD for a convenient due date is one of them. I didn't TTC a few months ago because my due date would have been around Christmas. I did not prefer that, so we took a break that month. I have been trying for 5 cycles now, and would not make that decision again because I'd rather just get my take home baby!

@NamelessAria - well said! Also I love dr who! David tenant was my fave dr. 
    **TW kids and loss mentioned**

-- DS 3.8.14
    -- MC 9.22.16 at 8 wks

• I'm in the 'why wait' camp. With DS we got lucky and it only took 1 month. We thought it would be a hugely inconvenient time to have him when we did but it worked out great. We also have a friend couple that kept putting off ttc for other people's happiness (weddings, get togethers, and something else that I can't remember).  <TW> It ended up taking them about half a year to get pregnant and it ended in a loss. <TW> So what I'm saying is, make the choice for you and your husband and to hell with the rest. Be selfish and put your wants first.
    FWIW I had DS at 39 weeks with a medical induction. My biggest concern at 37 weeks was how many Christmas cookies I could eat at one time. 
  • izza2izza2 member
    You've had a lot of great replies to this so far, but I'll share my two-cents as well.

I can see both sides of the decision, and either way, it can and will suck at some point.
    If you decide to start trying in August, and end up getting lucky your first cycle, you'll be at 37 weeks at peak-season and likely be uncomfortable. However, you'll also be at 37 weeks with your beloved child, and excited about the prospect of having your LO in your arms in a few weeks!
    If you decide to wait, you could get KU that first cycle you do try, or you could be like many ladies and take a few cycles (up to a year if you don't experience IF) to get pregnant, and end up wondering how different it might have been if you had tried during August. But, you also wouldn't be 37 weeks pregnant at peak-season.

Both sides have pros and cons. Ultimately, it's always up to you and your partner. But, keep in mind that you only have a 20% chance of conception each month. You can be lucky your first cycle trying, but the odds are stacked against you that you wouldn't be. It can take a healthy couple up to a year, with good timing, to get pregnant. So even if you wait and start later, you may end up still TTC in August of next year, and then you have to wonder whether you'll take that month off or just keep trying (which I hope isn't your case! But, unfortunately, it is the reality).

When you do decide - imagine how it would be if you did get pregnant right away. Would it be absolutely so unbearable that you would regret starting right away, and wish you would have waited another cycle? Would you be so happy to be pregnant that you may grumble about how difficult things are, but still be glad you didn't wait?

All in all - I hope you can come to a decision that you're comfortable with, and I wish you luck on your TTC journey. :smile:

Me: 30 | DH: 34 | DSS: 14 | DS: 4
    PG #2, EDD 10/12/2023

• Honestly? I would probably wait (and am for similar reasons). I know it can take up to a year for a healthy couple, but 60% of couples get pregnant within 3 months (stats below from an article, my doctor has told me similar stats), so while it could take longer, for many women it doesnt, and if you are fairly regular with normal length cycles, I would wait one extra month. Now if you are older or have abnormal cycles, I might not, but for me, my career is SUPER important to me and enough to wait one month to preserve it.

• 30 percent get pregnant within the first cycle (about one month)
    • 59 percent get pregnant within three cycles (about three months)
    • 80 percent get pregnant within six cycles (about six months)
    • 85 percent get pregnant within 12 cycles (about one year)

•  I had to postpone TTC for 6 months for health reasons, and when I got the all-clear health wise, career wise it made sense to wait 1 more month before starting TTC. Even though it's been 19 failed cycles and an IF diagnosis for me, I don't regret waiting that extra month to get started because career wise it was the right decision for me and has had a very positive impact on my career. I would wait that extra month again, even with my TTC struggles. only you can decide what is best for you personally and career wise, and there is no wrong decision.
  • I echo the ladies who say they wish they started sooner.  
    DH: 34 | Me: 35
    DS1 9/24/13
    DX Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Factor V Leiden Mutation, Secondary Infertility
    MFI (SA #1
    Count 11mill, Motility: 18%, Morphology: 1%)
    MFI (SA #2Count 7 mill, Motility: 18%, Morphology: 1%)
    AMH .328 
    | FSH 13.2 
    Oct. 2016: Clomid + TI
    IVF: ER 3/1/17; 5 retrieved, 3 mature & fertilized
    Results: 2 PGS normal embryos
    Planned on August 2017 transfer
    **TW**
    Natural BFP 4/3/17,Expecting baby boy via RCS 12/7/17

• J1DJ1D member
    In an ideal world where all the things happen in a 100% predicable manor I would say wait 1 month to time everything better.
    But in this world where everything happens when it happens there's no way to know if you'll get pregnant right away (took me almost a year) or when you'll go into labor (I was induced at 38 weeks for severe preeclampsia) or how you'll feel at any point during your pregnancy (I was miserable and in physical pain but healthy enough the whole time until I developed pre-e, 2 of my good friends worked their regular schedule up until the delivered at 39 and 40 weeks, my other friend had complications and delivered all her babies spontaneously at 37 weeks, another friend had hyperpuke-y can't remember what it's actually called and lost her job in the first trimester from missing too much work, ect so on and so forth...) it's just so unpredictable how it will all go that you really can't plan all that much. 
    Please forgive my horrible run on confusing sentence!

TL;DR: conception, pregnancy, and labor and delivery are unpredictable so don't get too hung up on planning around any of it happening a certain way at a certain time.
  • I personally wouldn't wait, but I'm also 33. DH wanted to wait until this year to marry and TTC instead of last year, and now we have Zika to worry about. You never know what may come up, even when you think you have the best timing.
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • Nothing new to add about HOW or what decision to make,  but if you do end up delaying ttc, I would suggest taking pre natal vitamins and starting to take your basal body temperature in August anyways if you haven't started already.  We started ttc as soon as we could based on jobs, so i don't wish I had started ttc sooner, but I do wish I had started temping right away.

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019