May 2016 Moms

periods & pumping - ADVICE?!

I started my official period the other day and have since went from pumping/producing  3+ oz combined to 1 1/2 oz combined. My LO is seriously pissed and it's draining the both of us to constantly nurse and pump all day. I've read the drop in supply should be temporary and that taking a calcium and magnesium supplement should help. Is there anything else? 

Re: periods & pumping - ADVICE?!

• I take a fenugreek and blessed thistle supplement and that seems to have helped. I didn't notice a drop in my supply and I'm currently on my period right now.  

I mix this in milk or in coffee:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01ES85AFY/ref=pd_aw_sim_121_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=51J-m8GsDQL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL100_SR100,100_&psc=1&refRID=6S6T1STVFGA1AZ1ESKX9

If that's not an option though they make a capsule you can take too.
  • Up your calcium and magnesium like you did along with water intake or Gatorade. If you pump to feed (rather than stash) add an extra pump or power pump just before and at the beginning of your period-- or increase nursing frequency supply dip is totally normal and should only last a couple days. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't know if you'd consider supplementing these few days, but we use Similac for Supplementation when my supply runs low. It is affordable for supplemental use (around $7 for eight individual bottles), and our LO seems to really enjoy the taste. I typically mix it in with whatever small amount of breast milk I can produce on low supply days to make up the difference. 
  • I would supplement but she has milk protein sensitivity and I'm not down for her expensive formula! Lol. Although, some date- like today - I do wish I could just FF. 
  • I'm wondering.... Does this happen with every period, or just your first PP period?
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I'm wondering.... Does this happen with every period, or just your first PP period?
    It happened to me for a few months in a row, then I started supplementing with calcium and magnesium a few days before my period was due and it stopped happening.
  • so glad i found this thread...just got my first period on Thursday and have been freaking out because my supply seriously dropped.  It did coincide with going back to work so I wasn't sure if it was work or the period.  I will up the liquids and start taking the fenugreek again.

Was anyone else oddly upset when they got their period? I haven't been the most confident BF/pumper and since i bought into the old wives tale that I wouldn't get my period if I was BF/pumping enough I assumed I wasn't doing something right.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • How old was your LO when you got your period? I asked my OB at my 6 week appt and she wasn't concerned that it hadn't happened yet, but didn't specify when to expect it.
  • slfezzslfezz member
    If your EBF or EPing, you can go months without having a period but it really varies person to person. I've known some who have has periods at 2 months and some who didn't have one until they started weaning at a year. With DD1 it can back at 5 months and with DD2 it was 7 months (both corresponded to when my supply tanked based on a hard work schedule). If you are FF, I would expect it back within a few months but it still varies. 
  • I'm eping but I got mine after I got my implant put in. I think that was the reason I got mine. My supply didn't go down when I got mine.
  • @proudparent2b I got it at about 8 weeks.  At my 6 week my OB asked if I'd had my period yet like she'd expected me to already even though she knew I was EBF/P.  It coincided with both her sleeping through the night and them putting me on a progesterone only BC....so not sure if that had something to do with it even though the BC isn't supposed to regulate anything.  I did read that if you are not feeding every 4 hours you could get your period, so maybe it's the sleeping through the night thing...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I got mine at not quite 12 weeks PP, even while still BFing round the clock. We've had a few 5 hour stretches and I'd given bottles of BM a few times, but I didn't expect it back so soon. I didn't notice a drop in supply, but I tried to make sure to drink plenty of water. LO was a bit fussy the morning before it came. It lasted less than one day, though.... 
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers