December 2016 Moms

Food advice?

We are leaving for Disney in a couple days with DH's family. (12 people in one house, pray my hormones are feeling friendly) But we rented a house instead of staying on property, which is what we usually do. We usually have a dining plan as well. We don't have that this time so we are planning to take lunch into the park. I have no idea what to take! Since lunch meat is a no no, what would you ladies suggest that would do well in a cooler for a few hours?

Re: Food advice?

• Hmm, that is a head-scratcher. Sometimes for lunch I pack a salad in a large mason jar and keep the dressing on the side. Then when it's lunch time I put the dressing in the jar and shake away. Usually keeps well from home to lunch and we don't have a fridge. Just my cooler lunch bag.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
    Visit The Nest 
    Fur Baby Momma 4/2/2010
  • I still eat lunch meat :/ but if you don't, maybe salads in mason jars? Smoothies? Pasta salad?
    Met DH - 9/2003
    Dating - 9/18/2012
    Married - 8/16/2014
    NTNP - 7/2014-5/2015 
    TTC #1 - 5/2015 (CP October @ 4w2d)
    *PCOS/Hypothyroid/Ectopic Kidney/High DHEA-S*
    HSG - All clear, ectopic kidney didn't affect uterus (yay!)
    CT Adrenal Scan - no tumors! :D
    SA - sperm count excellent, 2% Morphology
    March/April IUI scheduled -  surprise BFP w/ help of Progesterone - 3/18/2016
    Beta #1 @ 11dpo - 45.7 #2 @ 14dpo - 163 #3 @ 18dpo - 997 #4 @ 21dpo - 3799 :D
    EDD 12/1 based on O, 11/28 per Ob/Gyn (but he's wrong lol).

*TEAM BLUE!*

BabyFruit Ticker

Image result for funny i hate football memes

• Loading the player...
  • @juliehollz13

I am also a sucker still for salami and pepperoni from time to time.... :-D
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
    Visit The Nest 
    Fur Baby Momma 4/2/2010
  • @juliehollz13

I am also a sucker still for salami and pepperoni from time to time.... :-D
    @littlebirdie28 oh yeaassssss salami and pepperoni I can never resist. I just try to buy the high quality kind or with no nitrates. 
    Met DH - 9/2003
    Dating - 9/18/2012
    Married - 8/16/2014
    NTNP - 7/2014-5/2015 
    TTC #1 - 5/2015 (CP October @ 4w2d)
    *PCOS/Hypothyroid/Ectopic Kidney/High DHEA-S*
    HSG - All clear, ectopic kidney didn't affect uterus (yay!)
    CT Adrenal Scan - no tumors! :D
    SA - sperm count excellent, 2% Morphology
    March/April IUI scheduled -  surprise BFP w/ help of Progesterone - 3/18/2016
    Beta #1 @ 11dpo - 45.7 #2 @ 14dpo - 163 #3 @ 18dpo - 997 #4 @ 21dpo - 3799 :D
    EDD 12/1 based on O, 11/28 per Ob/Gyn (but he's wrong lol).

*TEAM BLUE!*

BabyFruit Ticker

Image result for funny i hate football memes

• Can you boil some eggs? I would love hard boiled egg salad sandwich. I've been really getting into fixing them up with cottage cheese instead of mayo too. Yum! I love it!
  • I too am still eating lunch meat occasionally.  But if you are not comfortable with that you can do egg salad (kept in a container and put on bread when ready to eat) or hard boiled eggs travel really well.  We do this when we go to conventions and it has always worked well for us.
  • how many days is this for? Trying to figure out how much variety you may be looking for. For me, if it's just one or two days, in order to simplify I find myself sticking probars into my luggage. They are good and filling and easy.
    I second the hard boiled eggs. Get to-go packets of mayo and mustard and make a quick egg salad to eat with crackers or bread.
    and never overlook the reliability and deliciousness of the good ole pb+j.
    Bagels and cream cheese packets. sometimes with jam too...
    hummus and pita and chopped veggies
    cheese sandwiches.
    You could cook up a couple chicken breasts and slice those for sandwiches too (though I also still eat lunch meat a couple times a week)
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
  • Hmm, that is a head-scratcher. Sometimes for lunch I pack a salad in a large mason jar and keep the dressing on the side. Then when it's lunch time I put the dressing in the jar and shake away. Usually keeps well from home to lunch and we don't have a fridge. Just my cooler lunch bag.
    That's a really good idea! And salad has been one of my cravings, so double yay! Haha thank you!
  • These are all really good suggestions! I didn't think about hard boiled eggs, so that would be good for a day and the pb&j sounds amazing right now. We'll be in the parks for 3 days, so this gives me great ideas! Im not 100% lunch meat free either, haha Ive eaten it a couple times when it's straight out of the fridge onto my sandwich.  ;)
  • I'm pretty sure if you make it yourself, chicken salad shouldn't be an issue.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Also, if you're feeling really paranoid about the lunch meat, just heat it until it's steaming in the microwave.  It will get rid of listeria (not nitrates though).  You can even put it back in the refrigerator after to cool it back down.
  • I typically stick to pb&j or pb&nutella sandwiches. But I'd get tired of that after a few days and eat lunch meat. 
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• If you have a little ice pack or something, I used to do a lot of yogurt, fruit, granola bowls.

I had one of these when I was working and loved it. It let OCD me keep my stuff all separated until lunch time when I mixed it and kept it all cold. 

• I know it's not food, but...
    I wouldn't waste cooler space with juice or flavored drinks. They will give you free ice water at the places that serve food, and you can mix them with those crystal light packs.
    This pregnancy has me craving juices/lemonade over ice, so if I were heading to the parks I would totally take advantage of that haha.

With food, I'm all for the PB&J and granola bars!