December 2016 Moms
Options

car seat advice

Hi I'm a first time mom here, due in mid December. I have done a lot of research on car seats and I am a bit confused, so I am hoping someone here can help me out.  I already have an infant car seat/stroller combo.  After much research, we decided on a Chicco Bravo system.  I know I will need a convertible car seat for when the baby outgrows the infant seat, however I am unsure what kind to get.  I live in New Jersey and the law here states that children need to be rear facing until 2 years of age.  I agree with that law, and would actually like to have rear facing for as long as possible.  What car seats give me the longest time rear facing with great safety rating, but won't break the bank?  Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Re: car seat advice

• Options
    TollerToller member
    You can check out Car Seats for the Littles group on facebook (they're awesome- I've learned so much and we're planning on RFing until 4!) or csftl.org. There is SO much to learn, but you have lots of time! Things vary depending on the size of your child, age, car your driving, how many other car seats you need to fit, and your price range.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I would go with something that is easy to install. The convertible carseat we got for DS was a pain to install rear facing. I never felt I couldget it tight enough with being at the correct angle. So I made him foward facing at 18 months. It was a safety first  brand. With DD I wanted something that I could be easily installed, I went with a Graco (link below). I love it. DD will be 2 in September and she still has enough room, although she is small for her age (only 21 pounds). I live in PA and they just made the law to be rear facing until 2 as well. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00PTL2BE8/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1469722394&sr=8-1&keywords=graco+convertible+car+seat+65&pi=SY200_QL40

BabyFruit Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Car Seats for the Littles, and don't buy your seat until you need it because you don't want to waste a year of the expiration date before you even use the seat. I agree go with easy install (Britax click tights are great. I love my Marathon), but you need hat is going to fit in your car. Some seats will have great reviews, but will be massive, so if you're tall, you won't be able to recline your seat drivers side or passenger side. Some, my friend complains about her Chicco Nextfit a lot, have buckles/straps that are difficult to adjust. You'll also want to wait awhile to see how your kid is shaped. Seats often have different height requirements before they're grown out of, so if your kid has a long torso, they may need a taller seat. The nice thing about the csfl page is you can give them your car make/model/year and your kid's stats and they'll recommend the best seat for your car and your needs. And bravo wanting to keep that kid rear facing as long as possible!

@ve304856 Where in PA? I'm there too!
    November D16  Siggy Challenge-Thanksgiving Fails

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @jenlynne0624 Lancaster. What about you?
    BabyFruit Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

@ve304856 Pittsburg!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Pittsburgh. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    To be honest, I'd punt this decision down the road. my 16 month old is still in his bucket seat. We have the convertibles ready but he still fits in the bucket and it's safest and easiest still. No sense in buying a carseat to have it sit in the garage for over a year and a half...
    Also, it makes a great 1st birthday gift from a grandparent
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
  • Options
    I bought my LO her convertible when she turned one. Which was last month. We went with the Graco extend2fit. Bought you should def wait til your lo is ready to purchase. 

We also has the chicco bravo travel system and loved it! Good choice!
  • Options
    I personally haven't used the Graco Extend2fit, but when I saw it advertised a few months back I loved it. The reviews look great, and the idea behind it is genius. DD was kicking the seat, and leaving her mark, at about 14 months. I wish it had been available then.
    We bought DD her convertible car seat at 9 months, due to the 22lb weight limit. And we actually started turning her front facing at 20 months. She would get terribly car sick and our pediatrician recommended it.
    As others said, this could be put off since you already have the infant carrier. Wait and see what you like.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    To be honest, I'd punt this decision down the road. my 16 month old is still in his bucket seat. We have the convertibles ready but he still fits in the bucket and it's safest and easiest still. No sense in buying a carseat to have it sit in the garage for over a year and a half...
    Also, it makes a great 1st birthday gift from a grandparent
    Please explain how you have this wonderfulness.
    We had to switch L to convertible by 5 months, as his upper body was too long and he had less than the 1" required. 

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• Options
    Seriously? You must have a giant baby or tiny car seat! Our little guy is little... 14%... And we have the key fit 30 which is good up to 30 lbs. he still has some height to grow albeit not much but we just moved the straps to the biggest setting
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
  • Options
    Just coming in to agree with above .. Csftl.org and car seats for littles on fbook. But definitely don't stress about a convertible seat until your LO is ready to switch.
    id also recommend waiting until BRU runs their Trade-In event. You get a discount when you bring in an old or expired seat. You can literally just find one on the side of the road and bring it in. Condition/age/whatever doesn't matter, they'll take it and give (I think) 20% off your next car seat purchase which is really helpful. 
    we have a Britax Marathon with the Clicktight system. I'm meh on the car seat overall (I like it, no major issues, but idk if I'd get the same one again) but the Clicktight system is AMAZING. 
    Its so simple to use for installing. I had the initial install done by someone certified at a local fire dept, but it's been really simple to re-install whenever we have needed to stick it in another vehicle.
  • Options
    Seriously? You must have a giant baby or tiny car seat! Our little guy is little... 14%... And we have the key fit 30 which is good up to 30 lbs. he still has some height to grow albeit not much but we just moved the straps to the biggest setting
    He is 22 lbs and 1 yr old next week. He is just terribly long in the  torso. I wouldn't have know to switch him over except I had the carseat class at WIC and when I brought him in, in the bucket, they checked and had me switch him into the convertible before the class started. 

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well.