Infertility

IVF CLASS

I FINALLY have gotten to the point where we finally get to have our IVF class or just the meeting with the IVF nurse about everything that's going down during our IVF process. I was just curious what we should expect out of our meeting and what's to come? Thanks!! 

Re: IVF CLASS

• Kp214Kp214 member
    You will probably have questions about what to expect, so this is a good time to ask. You may even get your protocol. You will probably learn about giving yourself injections. Don't worry if you forget. There are websites where you can watch the videos to help you remember. You may meet with a financial coordinator to sign papers and go over exactly what is being paid for.

I'm trying to remember my first meeting and it's been awhile. I know this is exciting to be moving forward and also scary. It will be ok. Good luck!
    Me:32 DH:36
    Me: DOR, poor egg quality, MTHFR
    DH: MFI
    TTC since 3/2014
    2015: 3 IUI's-BFN
    12/2015: 1st IVF cycle-(9 follicles retrieved, 5 mature, 3 fertilized w/ICSI, transferred 1 excellent and 1 good embryo on day 3)-chemical pregnancy
    3/2016: 2nd IVF cycle- canceled (3 follicles retrieved, 3 mature, all fertilized w/ICSI, 1 fragmented, 2 arrested) 
    3/2016: RE suggested donor eggs- taking an ivf break and to supplement 
    9/2016: 3rd ivf cycle-cancelled due to early ovulation
    Oct./Nov 2016: 4th ivf cycle- EPP-AFC:5, retrieved 10, 10 mature, 8 fertilized with ICSI, 6 blastocysts biopsied and frozen. 3 CCS normal embryos
    1/9/17: transferred 1 embryo-BFP 1/16
    1/18/17: beta #1-104
    1/20/17: beta #2-174
    2/2/17: first u/s, heartbeat of 107 at 6w1d
    7/20/17: baby boy born at 30+3 via emergency c-section 

• At our class they spent some time going over the general process. Like a biology class almost, we talked about (and saw pictures of) what can cause IF from both male and female side. Then we saw videos and pictures of each step along the way (ICSI, assisted hatching, development of embryo, etc.) Then we were taught how to mix and inject the meds and went over each one and what it does. Most of us met with the financial coordinator during that time as well to finish going over consents. There was plenty of time for questions and the nurse happily spoke with each couple separately if needed. I would highly recommend you bring your partner/DH/DW. It's a lot of good info and if there's any chance you might struggle to give yourself the meds it's good to have your other half there to learn as well.

---Trigger warning---

Me: 31 DH: 27
    TTC since April 2013
    Two cancelled IUIs in Aug and Sept '15 due to low motility/count
    IVF round 1: January 2016
    ER: February 17, 2016; 9 retrieved, 7 mature, 7 fertilized
    Day 5 Blastocysts: 5 BB, 1 AB, all normal from PGS
    FET date: May 11, '16; transferred 1 AB embryo
    First beta: May 23, '16: 998!!  Second: May 25, '16: 1648
    EDD: January 27, 2017
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Ours was basically going over all the meds & how to give them.  It was overwhelming, but I just tried to tell myself afterwards that I will take it all one day at a time, and of course seeing everything all at once would be a lot (trying to keep this attitude as I'll be getting a box with all the meds soon).  GL!
    About me:
    /loss mentioned/
    TTC#1 July 2014
    dx: MFI (morphology)
    IUI #1 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Sept. 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #2 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Halloween 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #3 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Thanksgiving 2015 ~ BFP!!
    hb 146 bpm at 7w5d
    1/28/16 ~ began to say goodbye to our beautiful baby at 11w 
    d&c, followed by cytotec
    TTCAL April 2016
    IUI #4 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Apr. 2016 ~ BFN
    IUI #5 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ CP
    IUI#6 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ BFN
  • Thank y'all so much! I really appreciate it! Just getting anxious!
  • i would watch all the videos from Freedom MedTEACH just so you have an idea what's going one :)
    Me & DH - 41, DH has a cyst blocking his tubes, I'm just old.
    IVF #1 scheduled May 2016 - 375/525 follistim, 75 menopur - cancelled cycle Day 6
    IVF #2 scheduled July 2016 - new protocol, switcharoo...IUI June 2016 - BFN
    IVF#3 scheduled August 2016 - estrogen & testosterone primed for 3 wks - ganirelix 7 days leading up to stim - 500 follistim, 75 menopur, 150 clomid , no follicle growth on day 6, stopped injectibles. Scanned day 9 just to check, some growth, 3 days 200 mg clomid, day 12 more growth, 100 follistim, 75 menopur, start ganirelix on day 13, ER = 0 eggs, ovulated to soon ( :( )
    IVF#4 scheduled Sept 2016 - Microdose Flare protocol, cancelled stim day 6 converted to IUI (one dominant follicle)  :(  IUI cancelled ovulated too soon again. Taking a mental health break.
    IVF#5 December 2016 - New protocol, same results. My adventure is over.