Secondary IF

Potentially New Here

Hi ladies!  I'm Erin from Atlanta, both my SO and I are 22.  I'm a recent graduate with a marketing degree and my SO is about to graduate with a degree in Geographic Information Systems. 

I'm in a unique situation and unsure of who to turn to.  I am not necessarily infertile nor am I actively TTC, but was just looking for an outlet if need be.  I will most likely just be a lurker for the time being and figured I would post an intro anyway.  

I've been very active on the Feb16 board.  I had a beautiful DD on 2/10 of this year.  I had an emergency partial hysterectomy to take out my uterus and Fallopian tubes due to placenta increta.  They discovered something was wrong only after I had had a vaginal birth and my placenta would not detach.  They then didn't discover it was placenta increta until after they had biopsied my uterus. 

I still have my cervix (so I won't go into menopause) and my ovaries so that I am able to make my own babies through IVF, we would just need a gestational surrogate to make that happen.  If anything I am interested in learning about the IVF procedure and it's related costs.  

Please let me know if I am completely in the wrong place.  I have already reached out to the third-party reproduction board and it is for the most part a dead board.

Thanks ladies! 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Surprise BFP! 06/08/15
Nadine GraceMarie  02/10/16
Diagnosed with placenta increta post delivery: emergency partial hysterectomy - cervix and ovaries still intact 
Gestational surrogacy or adoption TBD

Re: Potentially New Here

• Hi and welcome. First - unsolicited advice. Don't even think about this right now. Enjoy your newborn snuggles, they go by WAY too fast. Second, many of the girls on here will be able to assist with IVF, but a lot of the costs are based on your insurance. You have time to plan and check out your insurance options through your jobs - assuming it is offered. My company has several plans, one of them has $25k in IF coverage, so I pay nothing out of pocket as long as I stay in plan. 

I have actually started looking into the surrogate process and that seems to be the most expensive part, and that is not covered by anything. 

Good luck with everything.

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • Welcome @egraves4 ! @Flamingemu is so right! Enjoy the time you have with your newborn. It goes so fast and even though you have the moments of "hurry up already", really embrace the time. They grow a little older every day. You never know what the future holds and may decide that you're a one and done family as time progresses.

But if you do decide towards the surrogacy option, you're looking at a minimum of $80k (when all is said and done). I'm located in CA, so our prices seem to be higher. IVF is covered by my insurance with a lifetime use of $30k max. It was 100% covered when I did the IVF in May 2013, but now that we are doing Frozen Embryo Transfers, my insurance has changed in 2016 and we've had to pay a small chunk to have it covered.

Best of luck and feel free to lurk, but don't be afraid to chime in! :)

Me: 37 DH:41
    10/2009 - TTC#1 Stopped BCP! Let's DO this!
    1/2010 - BFP (Natural) --> 10/2010 - DS born! Yay!
    12/2010 - DH diagnosed with stage 3B testicular cancer. #cancersucks
    10/2011 - Complications with DH and lymph nodes in groin area removed. No longer able to ejaculate.
    1/2014 - TTC#2 - IUI#1. No luck. Findings: DH sperm did not survive freeze. RE recommends IVF with ICSI.
    3/2014 - IVF Cycle #1 Started BCP
    4/2014 - Lupron, Gonal-F, and Menopur
    5/7/2014 - ER day (25 eggs retrieved, 15 mature)
    5/10/2014 - 6 fertilized, 3 embryos frozen - one grade A and two Grade B. Plan was to grow out to blastocyst stage but rest of eggs arrested by day 3. Decided to freeze on day 3.
    2/9/2016 - FET #1 with Grade A (8 cell - 3 day embryo); 2/20 - Beta was <5. BFN.  :/ Waiting for period and start next FET.
    7/8/2016 - FET #2 with Grade B (8 cell - 3 day embryo), fingers crossed this one sticks. :)
    7/19 - Beta was 74. BFP!!!!; 7/21 - Beta was 182; 1st U/S on 8/2; 2nd U/S on 8/16 :)

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Congratulations on your new little one. I'm sorry about your current situation. I think it's OK to be thinking about another. Only you know what you want your family to look like. It's ok to have kids close together. Best of luck! And congrats again on the new one. 
  • janeJ7janeJ7 member

Surrogacy is a great treatment of infertility. It’s nice you decided not to give up and look for options. I was diagnosed with glomerulonephritis after the birth of my first child. Because of this desease I had two pregnancy terminations. My dh and I decided to turn to surrogacy. It was our last chance to become parents. I was in search 24/7 during a couple of months. It was really hard to find a reliable clinic with affordable price. After some discussions with ladies on different forums we went to Ukrainian clinic biotexcom. The clinic provided us with everything needed, so we felt absolutely comfortable in foreign country. The whole process was under their control. They found surrogate mother for us in 2,5 months. Our son was born on October 2015. We paid approximately 40 000 euros for everything. Though there were so many people and lines were very long, but I think the result worth it)

• Congrats on your baby and welcome. Enjoy your newborn snuggles while you can! Toddler snuggles just aren't the same lol.

what part of Atlanta are you in? I am in the area as well :) 
    image image
  • @FloridaStanley I am in Marietta! :)

And thank you to everyone who responded!  I decided to focus more on my family.  It is hard to believe that I now almost have a 6 month old!  Since posting, I have found a group of women on Facebook suffering from the same thing I went through.  I recently made an appointment to see an RE and get a timeline of when would best to do IVF or if I need to do embryo freezing.  Because I have had a partial hysterectomy, there is decreased blood flow to the ovaries which can in turn cause lower egg count and quality, but this does not always occur.  I am hoping we still have some time! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Surprise BFP! 06/08/15
    Nadine GraceMarie  02/10/16
    Diagnosed with placenta increta post delivery: emergency partial hysterectomy - cervix and ovaries still intact 
    Gestational surrogacy or adoption TBD