February 2017 Moms

Cervical Length Checks

We met with a genetics counselor yesterday after our NT scan yesterday (which we did a week early because we're going out of town and it had to be done on a Tuesday). She called me last night and said the high risk doctor wants to start seeing me at 16 weeks and they scheduled me to come in to start having cervical length checks. Has anyone else done these and how does it work and generally how frequently do they do them? I didn't even think to ask on the phone yesterday and they're at the main hospital today, not the office I went to yesterday so I don't feel like calling since I know I won't get through and it's not a super important question and I'm impatient so I don't want to wait for a phone call back.

Re: Cervical Length Checks

• I vaguely remember them checking mine when I was later in pregnancy.  I think they just did ultrasounds to get measurements.  With my first, a shortened cervix was one of the signs I had of potentially going into preterm labor.  I actually carried until my due date, but they put me on modified bedrest for the last 6-7 weeks of the pregnancy.

• Ok thanks! I wasn't sure how they checked for length. An ultrasounds makes sense, not like they can stick a measuring tape up there but you never know!
  • Loading the player...
  • I know it's something they check durring the ultrasound.

We were referred to high risk last pregnancy to monitor growth due to a 2 blood vessel cord. Our doc was super mellow and very reassuring!

It sounds like they are being extra cautious!
  • I had cervical checks every time it went in for an ultrasound when I was pregnant with my twins.  They did a regular ultrasound and the trans vaginal ultrasound to check my cervix.  I was considered high risk and put on bed rest at 21 weeks because my cervix were shortened.  I delivered at 37 weeks 1 day via scheduled c-section.
    IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My cervix length was checked during ultrasound as well. I'm sure hoping everything looks good for you!
  • @LaurenAshley04 yes they are. My first was a premie and I found out after having my second that I have genetic condition that can cause cervical issues so they are being extra cautious.
  • TW - loss mentioned

When I was pregnant with my twins, my cervix apparently changed very fast and I didn't know it. My amniotic sac for baby A suddenly protruded and ruptured at 19wks 1d. Ultimately I lost both twins a week later.

Things can change fast. If you have signs of a shortened cervix, I'd want weekly checks and/or discuss a plan for a cerclage.

Best wishes for a healthy pregnancy!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @ss456 I'm sorry for your loss but that is good to know. Thanks.
  • ss456 said:
    TW - loss mentioned

When I was pregnant with my twins, my cervix apparently changed very fast and I didn't know it. My amniotic sac for baby A suddenly protruded and ruptured at 19wks 1d. Ultimately I lost both twins a week later.

Things can change fast. If you have signs of a shortened cervix, I'd want weekly checks and/or discuss a plan for a cerclage.

Best wishes for a healthy pregnancy!

this happened to a friend of mine as well. 

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • I start my cervical length checks in 3 weeks (at 16 weeks) the high risk doctor already discussed putting the stich in my cervix. I'm also having twins.