February 2017 Moms

F17 Book Club Poll

Xstatic3333Xstatic3333 member
edited July 2016 in February 2017 Moms
Vote here for our August F17 book club selection!  Voting will stop Sunday evening so everyone can get downloading for August.  Comments welcome below the poll.  All books that had multiple mentions on @silvercamaro77's list are included in this poll and listed in no particular order.  If there was a gross omission, you are welcome to chase me with pitchforks. 

F17 Book Club Poll 56 votes

Inferno, Dan Brown
16% 9 votes
The Million In One Boy, Monica Wood
5% 3 votes
Everyone Brave is Forgiven, Chris Cleave
10% 6 votes
What Alice Forgot, Liane Moriarity
16% 9 votes
The Power Of One, Bryce Courtenay
3% 2 votes
Eligible, Curtis Sittenfeld
10% 6 votes
All The Missing Girls, Megan Miranda
37% 21 votes

Re: F17 Book Club Poll

• Thanks for making the poll!  I can't wait to get started.

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker   
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for making the poll!
  • Yay! Thank you for doing all this, @peachesnbean
  • Dang, all of these books sound really interesting.

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker   
  • cjs260cjs260 member
    Dang, all of these books sound really interesting.
    Agreed! For the ones we don't end up picking for Aug, are they allowed to be re-nominated for future months? 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker                                       

• cjs260 said:
    Dang, all of these books sound really interesting.
    Agreed! For the ones we don't end up picking for Aug, are they allowed to be re-nominated for future months? 
    I don't see why not! It was a tough choice for me. 
  • I vote for reusing book titles that aren't picked.
  • cjs260cjs260 member
    Since All the Missing Girls is ahead, I wanted to look to see if it was available/how many copies were at my public library. I'm now #53 on the wait list. If this wins out, looks like I'm going to be reading the ebook edition! 

• Al the missing girls has not been easy to find on audiobook. FX my husband can find it on his library. 
    ******************** BFP Warning *******************

I'm 29 and DH is 32 we have a MFI (low count) 
    IVF #1 starting in August. ER 9/5/13 23 eggs we are fertilizing 15. 9 frozen
    ET 9/10 - transferred 1 perfect 5AA blast
    7dp5dt BFP ~~ Beta on 9/19 - 77.4 Beta #2 on 9/21 - 357
    Low heartbeat on 10/7 86, lower heartbeat on 10/11 76, no heartbeat 10/14/13. D&C 10/15/13
    Tests revealed MTHFR c677t mutation, put on Folgard.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FET #1 1/6/14 - 4BB blast - BFN
    FET #2 - 3/3/14 - 5AB Blast -- Beta #1 3/12 - 152 -- Beta #2 3/14 - 358
    FET #3 06/09/16 - 5AB Blast - Beta #1 6/18- 245 -- Beta #2 06/20 - 600
     PAIF/SAIF/PAL/SAL welcome!

• @FishyMom Audible has All the Missing Girls audio book.
     Me: 27 | DH: 28
    TTC since January 2016

BFP - 3/12/16 - MC 4/5/16
    BFP - 6/11/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • But @FishyMom the book tells the story in a way that some people said made it hard to follow as an audio book.
     Me: 27 | DH: 28
    TTC since January 2016

BFP - 3/12/16 - MC 4/5/16
    BFP - 6/11/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks @mrsdramak I don't know when I would have time to actually read it. So I suppose I may try it and see what I think .
    ******************** BFP Warning *******************

I'm 29 and DH is 32 we have a MFI (low count) 
    IVF #1 starting in August. ER 9/5/13 23 eggs we are fertilizing 15. 9 frozen
    ET 9/10 - transferred 1 perfect 5AA blast
    7dp5dt BFP ~~ Beta on 9/19 - 77.4 Beta #2 on 9/21 - 357
    Low heartbeat on 10/7 86, lower heartbeat on 10/11 76, no heartbeat 10/14/13. D&C 10/15/13
    Tests revealed MTHFR c677t mutation, put on Folgard.
    FET #1 1/6/14 - 4BB blast - BFN
    FET #2 - 3/3/14 - 5AB Blast -- Beta #1 3/12 - 152 -- Beta #2 3/14 - 358
    FET #3 06/09/16 - 5AB Blast - Beta #1 6/18- 245 -- Beta #2 06/20 - 600
     PAIF/SAIF/PAL/SAL welcome!

• Should we wrap up the poll a little earlier so people can get going on sourcing the book?  I'd like to leave it up through tonight for the non-work bumpers but we could call it tomorrow.  It looks like we've got a clear favorite here, and, selfishly, I'm going to a bachelorette weekend where I expect to have a lot of time to read while everyone else is hungover Sunday ;-)
  • @Xstatic3333  Sounds good to me.

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker   
  • That sounds good! I might just download it now, I'm bored haha
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @cjs260 how do you feel about pirates and sailing the seven seas?
  • I wouldn't mind being able to start reading this weekend... Just found a book club guide for All the Missing Girls if tomorrow we see that's the final vote! 
  • cjs260cjs260 member
    @PerraSucia Would I want to BE a pirate and sail the seven seas? Absolutely. Would I like to read about pirates sailing the seven seas? Yes to that, too. 

• I may just buy the book since I can't get down with e-books. 

• Thank you for the descriptions for each book! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Thanks for the pill and descriptions! 
  • I have some e-book settlement credits to use so bring it on! I'm ready to start this weekend! 
  • Motion to call this thing. Can I get a second?
  • The e-book version was actually available without a wait through my library which almost never happens. When are we going to plan for the first discussion and what's our reading amount goal for by that time?

• The e-book version was actually available without a wait through my library which almost never happens. When are we going to plan for the first discussion and what's our reading amount goal for by that time?
    No clue! I've never been in a book club before and thought we just discussed it at the end. 
  • If we want to do it in a month, how about ~1/4 week? It's 384 pages according to Amazon, so that's 96 pages a week. When we actually get the book in our hands, we can figure that out with regards to chapters. 

How about a weekly discussion thread on Sundays? I think someone said they'd found discussion questions online?
  • I'm late to the party on this- but that sounds great! I haven't been able to find a decent book to read in forever!
  • Are we starting on the 1st? 
  • I'd say the 1st is good starting point.  It'll give everyone enough time to get the book over the weekend and start.

As for the discussions, I'm not help because my last BMB just did a huge discussion at the end.  I think having them every few chapters is a good idea, that way details are fresh in our minds.

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker   
  • And it's a good way to pace ourselves. Although items to read ahead if I'm really into it. 
  • That sounds good to me.

• Might I suggest that whichever book is #2 in the poll is next month's book? That way, the ladies using library holds can go ahead and get that on order.
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Might I suggest that whichever book is #2 in the poll is next month's book? That way, the ladies using library holds can go ahead and get that on order.
    Yes, I second this... or at least vote early for a second book. I prefer checking them out of the library also, it would make it tons easier to get the book in time.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • maybe if we do the poll the last/first week of the month (ex. new poll right now for sept. book)