September 2016 Moms
Options

Breech baby

I am 33 weeks along and because of gestational diabetes, I have a larger than usual baby. I have just been told my baby is breech and to prepare mentally for a c-section. Anyone had experience with a breech baby? What have you done to try and "spin" your baby the right way? Did it work? I have been trying swimming exercises as well as handstands in the pool. I desperately want a vaginal birth :( 

Re: Breech baby

• Options
    I think there a thread called "spinning babies" that might be worth searching for!
  • Options
    My baby was breech last week (at 33 weeks) at a fluid check and I did a search for yoga poses for turning a breech baby.  I would look up the website spinningbabies also.   Today at my fluid check at 34 weeks he was head down.  Your baby still has time to turn!  I also have GD and my baby is a little on the bigger side as well.
    Married 9/19/09
    Me (32) Dx PCOS, DH (32) SA = Normal/mild morph issues
    TTC#5 July 2017 - 3rd cycle TTC = BFP on 11/12/17 at 9dpo Beta #1 = 96 at 13dpo - Beta #2 = 207 at 15dpo
    TTC#1  starting Nov. 2009
    3 rounds of Clomid + TI and 3 rounds of 7.5 mg Femara + IUI before our BFP on 11/8/10 at 12dpiui
    TTC #2 3rd cycle of Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 4 follies = BFP on 10/12/12 
    TTC#3 July 2014 - Metformin +TI = BFP at 9dpo - Twins, one baby lost at 5.5 weeks 
    Macy Annabelle born at 37w4d on 4/29/15.  Diagnosed with Cri du Chat and passed away on 6/6/15.  Forever in our hearts.
    TTC#4 3rd cycle of Metformin + Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 3 follies = BFP on 12/24/16
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Spinningbabies.com and chiropractor.
    Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I think it's still a little early to worry about breech or not.  My doc said she wouldn't be concerned about baby's position until i was 36 weeks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I think it's still a little early to worry about breech or not.  My doc said she wouldn't be concerned about baby's position until i was 36 weeks.
    Same. DD was breech until I think 35 weeks last time. 
  • Options
    This.

I'm surprised your doctor would say that. You definitely still have time for baby to turn. My OB felt around my belly at my appointment last week (34 weeks) and said he thought she might still be breech (she was breech at 28 and 30 weeks). He was not concerned at all about it yet. I do feel like she turned yesterday. Of course I won't know for sure until my u/s next Thursday. 

"mentally preparing" for a c/s is really something every expectant mother SHOULD do because it is always a possibility. Easier said than done. I'm trying not to worry about it until I have to.
    Anniversary       

• Options
    Same here. I saw my midwife today and she said baby hasn't moved to head down yet but she still has plenty of time to do so (I'm 33 weeks). She said that she can try different inversion techniques if the baby is still breech around 36 weeks. She also said that she's had great success with babies moving to head down by doing this! You've still got some time for baby to move :) 
    Me: 26 DH: 33
    Married: 6/14/14
    TTC immediately
    BFP: 11/19/14 MC:12/3/14
    BFP:  2/27/15 Blighted Ovum: 4/10/15, D&C 4/13/15- Trisomy16
    BFP: 12/29/15 EDD: 9/15/16!!  Please be our miracle baby!

• Options
    My midwife told me that leaning against the counter or leaning forward when sitting (which is hard for me since baby girl is still pretty high up in my ribcage) can promote the baby going head down and to the left which is the easiest position for labouring vaginally. So I've been doing that a bunch today, she hasn't flipped yet but I'm going to keep up with it
  • Options
    ashtasht member
    My midwife told me that leaning against the counter or leaning forward when sitting (which is hard for me since baby girl is still pretty high up in my ribcage) can promote the baby going head down and to the left which is the easiest position for labouring vaginally. So I've been doing that a bunch today, she hasn't flipped yet but I'm going to keep up with it
    This position is equally painful! I found out last week that is how baby is. Her head grinds down low and her feet push on my right ribs preventing me from sitting up constantly.
  • Options
    It's never too early to start trying to flip the baby with stretches and visiting a chiropractor who knows the Webster technique. Mine started doing treatments to try and loosen the ligament that is often responsible when I mentioned baby was breach around 27 weeks, she said it's better to start early when baby is a little smaller and has more room to flip than to start trying everything at 37 weeks. I've also read placing frozen peas at the top of your belly and a warm compress down by your pelvis can sometimes convince baby to turn to get away from the cold, but in the end you do still have a bit of time and it's such a small percentage of babies that remain breech at birth. I'm pretty sure ours flipped to head down yesterday while we were waiting for our ultrasound to check it's position and it nearly made me pass out!
  • Options
    My son flipped to breech at 38w.  I desperately wanted a vaginal delivery as well and my doctor suggested Child's Pose to open the pelvis for more room.  I went to https://spinningbabies.com/ and used a lot of their techniques too.  Specifically inversion.

I also put an ice pack at the top of my belly and played music to my crotch.  Bizarre, but effective.  My H actually has video of me in the inversion position with my iPod perched on my butt playing classic rock.  Desperate times...

BUT - It worked!  He flipped back into the right position within a week and I had an uncomplicated vaginal delivery.

Are you a good swimmer?  Do you have access to a pool?  Experienced swimmers can also have luck turning their babies in the water too.  Being relaxed in the water is key, but the hip motions of most swim strokes open the pelvis.  Plus, you can invert yourself by doing handstands in the water and it's less pressure on your back than doing the technique on dry land.  Good luck!

Piper, 4/10/10
    Connor, 3/16/15
    Morgan, EDD 9/22/16

• Options
    Flowr4246 said:
    My son flipped to breech at 38w.  I desperately wanted a vaginal delivery as well and my doctor suggested Child's Pose to open the pelvis for more room.  I went to https://spinningbabies.com/ and used a lot of their techniques too.  Specifically inversion.

I also put an ice pack at the top of my belly and played music to my crotch.  Bizarre, but effective.  My H actually has video of me in the inversion position with my iPod perched on my butt playing classic rock.  Desperate times...

BUT - It worked!  He flipped back into the right position within a week and I had an uncomplicated vaginal delivery.

Are you a good swimmer?  Do you have access to a pool?  Experienced swimmers can also have luck turning their babies in the water too.  Being relaxed in the water is key, but the hip motions of most swim strokes open the pelvis.  Plus, you can invert yourself by doing handstands in the water and it's less pressure on your back than doing the technique on dry land.  Good luck!
    Both my midwife and my doula recommended the spinning babies website! Good luck!
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for the advice and calming words! I am definitely going to try some spinning babies suggestions :)