September 2015 Moms

Check Your Medical Bills for Wellness Checks!

Just a PSA for everyone to make sure you check your medical bills after receiving a wellness exam for your baby. 

I was surprised to receive a charge for $14.49 for my child's last wellness exam as my BCBS insurance states wellness exams are covered at 100%. I've never been billed for them in the past. I spoke to my medical service provider and insurance and apparently my insurance doesn't cover the "behavioral questionnaire" at 100% and only pays a portion. 

At each visit, my pediatrician has us fill out a behavioral questionnaire that asks about specific milestones, just a yes/no questionnaire about whether or not my baby has reached certain milestones. This is the portion that apparently is not covered at 100% by BCBS. The medical service provider told me I can opt out of completing the form and I wouldn't be charged, and said BCBS changed their coverage for this portion last year. BCBS told me it was the provider's and my responsibility to ask about any extra charges, even though the coverage booklet from BCBS says nothing about being charged for any portion of the wellness exam.

Next visit, I'll look at the form and bring up any concerns I have with the pediatrician, but I won't be turning it in so I can't be billed for it. Just frustrated that neither party will take responsibility for the fact that the charge was never explained ahead of time. $15 isn't a big deal, but $15 for every single exam going forward to fill out a questionnaire is ridiculous!

Re: Check Your Medical Bills for Wellness Checks!

• Rediculous! Silly that reading a little form wouldn't be just part of the regular charge for wellness checks. 
  • jht4jht4 member
    Absolutely ridiculous that developmental questionnaires aren't covered by insurance. Just a heads up that some pretty lengthy and comprehensive questionnaires may be given around the 18 month check up, I think the mchat is included in that set. It may be worth paying the extra money and completing them at that appointment.
    BabyFruit Ticker