Cloth Diapering
Options

Leaking out the leg holes

Hi everyone!
DD is 3 months old, and we've been CDing since her umbilical stump fell off, around 3 weeks old. We've had this issue for a while, and I'm starting to think I can't be the only one who's ever had this problem.

The diapers NEVER leak, day or night, UNLESS she poops while I'm nursing her. When those two incidents coincide, it's almost 100% chance of it leaking all over me.

We use Kawaii pocket diapers with bamboo and microfiber inserts, but not stuffed inside the pockets. I've made sure the inserts aren't sticking out. I've actually stuffed the inserts inside on occasion, and it still happens then too. Someone in another group mentioned "twisting the tabs" but I'm not really sure what they meant by that and they haven't responded back in a few days time. 

Any suggestions? I can't say I'm about to give up on cloth, but it's getting really annoying to be pooped on (all over me, her, and the boppy pillow) several times a week :(

TIA!

Re: Leaking out the leg holes

• Options
    I use a prefold folded in the "jelly roll" style to contain poop. We use Blueberry covers over the top and have never had a blowout. To be honest, I cannot imagine using just inserts in this runny EBF stage (my LO is also 3 months). The prefold rolled around the thighs catches any of the nasty that tries to escape.

I'm assuming what the other poster meant is that they use prefolds, and take the top two corners on the top of the prefold (once it's folded over the top of LO) and twist them to tighten up the legs before fastening. 
  • Options
    I really disliked pocket diapers during the pre-solids phase for this very reason. DS had skinny legs and we just couldn't get a good fit to contain that runny poop. They worked better for us when he filled out later and was eating solids more consistently. This is why a lot of people prefer a diverse stash, as we find that different diapers work better for different stages.

IME, prefolds, flats or fitteds with a cover are much more effective for containing runny poop. Do you have any of those in your stash?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Regarding the tab twisting, I heard about it when Pip was a nb too.  I think they were talking about tucking the tab of the wing under the wing of the opposite side and attaching to the landing strip further over than what is able to be done with just the cross-over tabs.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • Options
    Forgot to mention, look for covers that have double gussets at the legs. Thirsties and Blueberry are good ones. Best Bottoms also have double-gussets, but the inserts won't contain runny poo (poo will get on the cover). Sometimes you'll just get a better fit with a different brand.
  • Options
    Make sure the microfiber doesn't touch lo