May 2016 Moms

Names. A Follow Up

Now that we have all met our LOs and have gotten to know them really well I thought it would be fun to follow up on baby names.

Are you still happy with the name you chose?

Have you gotten any weird or unexpected comments to the name?

Do you think LO fits their name?

Anything else you want to share!

Re: Names. A Follow Up

• Now that we have all met our LOs and have gotten to know them really well I thought it would be fun to follow up on baby names.

Of course! We named LO Tristan.

A few people have asked us if it is a family name. Random people have given us a lot of praise. I had to deal with a woman at HR at my job to get the insurance figured out and she knew immediately who I was from my son's name. She just loved it and kept going on and on about it… It made me feel really good! Some people tell us it's a pretty or beautiful name, which I guess might be weird considering he's a boy, but I'm not into gender normativity so it doesn't bother me at all.

Do you think LO fits their name? Yes! 

Anything else you want to share! Tristan's middle name is John, and we realized that if he were to ever shorten it it would be TJ, which is such an 80s name, LOL.
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• Are you still happy with the name you chose?
    Absolutely! It took me a while to really like it, but now I don't know why I hesitated.

We named him Roland so a lot of people ask us if we are French Canadian as it's apparently a popular French Canadian name.

I didn't at first. I thought it was an old man's name, but now that we have so many little nick names for him, it definitely suits him.

I was working out with my trainer at the gym a couple weeks ago and my trainer asked me how Roland was doing. The lady I was working out with said, "Oh he's fine. Why do you ask?" Apparently both her husband and son are named Roland! (Her husband is French Canadian and it's a passed on name.) But what are the odds?
  • Loading the player...
  • kp90kp90 member
    My LOs name is Mila. I am still glad we chose that. It seems to fit her well and I have received many compliments on it. 

The older lady at her day care continues to pronounce it 'my-la' when it's actually 'me-la'... So after about the 356393 time of her saying it. I'm just like "yup, 'my-la' is here" -_-
    Yes, we love it!  Her name is Brynn.

Not really.  Some have asked if it's a family name, but most people say it's cute/pretty.  Someone said it's interesting, so I just assumed he didn't like it...which wouldn't hurt my feelings at all.

I really do!  Confession: I got the name Brynn from an old season of the Real World (Las Vegas 2003ish, when I used to watch those stupid types of shows in college).  There was a cast member named Brynn and she had a cute, bubbly personality, so the name stuck with me for all those years and I associated it a cute, friendly girl.  Our girl is the cutest and she's such a happy baby...the name definitely fits. :) 

Our engagement/wedding/maternity/newborn photographer has a daughter named Brynn.  She went home after our newborn session and told her girl that she shot a little Brynn and her daughter was a little upset there was another Brynn out there in this big world!  Kids, they're so funny.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• yogahhyogahh member
    Are you still happy with the name you chose? Yes, I still love her name (Harper) but I did have a HOLY SHIT I NAMED MY KID HARPER moment.

Have you gotten any weird or unexpected comments to the name? All of the time. You would think this wasn't the #10 most popular name last year. I get a lot of "huhs" and blank stares. And we are in NYC where its a popular name!!

Do you think LO fits their name? YEP. I think of Harpers as being feisty and independent and so far, she fits this. DH and I were just saying that no other name (except for Natalie) that was on our list would have fit her.

cat fail animated GIF

• Margaret

Yes!

The common question we get is what nickname we will use. I'm not set on using a nickname but am open to Margaret, Margo and Maggie. I figure it'll happen on its own.

It fits her well! It's the nickname thing that throws me off. Maggie and Margo are such different people to me which is why I'm not "deciding," just getting to know her and see!
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
  • Yes, we love Cora. Although my older daughter is Carlee and I call Cora "Carlee" more than Cora. Oops. I've have Carlee for 8.5 years. 

Everyone comments on how it's so old fashioned and they knew a great grandma with that name. 

So far I think it fits her. She looks like a Cora to me. Lol 
  • I still love Pollie! People are usually surprised when they hear and comment how they've never met a Pollie or ask if it's short for anything. She definitely fits her name; cute, bubbly and girlie

• Are you still happy with the nane you chose-Yes, we have gotten tons of compliments on Natalie's name!

Any weird or unexpected comments- Nope

Does she fit her name-Yes. She is so freaken adorable. Loads of brown hair.Tall.long eyelashes. Have been told by many she is so cute♡♥.I definitely think she's gonna be a strong willed little bugger. 
  • Are you still happy with the name you chose? Yes, I still love her name, Camryn.

Have you gotten any weird or unexpected comments to the name? No, we have gotten nothing but compliments on her name. I guess if people don't like it, they are good liars!

Do you think LO fits their name? We mostly call her Cam because it goes with big sister Emma's nickname, Em. So far, I think she fits her name/nickname well. We'll see as she gets a little older and her personality develops more!
  • anijmananijman member
    edited July 2016
    Are you still happy with the name you chose? Yes, I had to get used to it in the beginning because really?! Did I just name my girl rain?!?! It's Rayne by the way.

Any weird or unexpected comments? People in general just ask me if I named her after the rain or if I meant reign as in rule. Most people love her name especially in combination with her middle name Sahara.

Does she fit her name? Yes. She most definitely fits her name. We live in the tropics, and the day she was born is the day the big rainy season starts here. People always ask me if that's why I named her Rayne (it isn't. She came 3 weeks early. I never thought of it). She also has such a stormy personality. She's going to be a feisty one! Her name fits her perfectly.
  • Are you still happy with the name you chose? Of course!

Have you gotten any weird or unexpected comments to the name? His name is Dante, so many people ask if it is for the Italian author Dante Alighieri, which he actually is, but I didn't expect so many people to ask. Have had one or two ask if he is named for the rapper...? I definitely have no idea who that is.

Do you think LO fits their name? Definitely

Anything else you want to share! I really like that we picked a less common name, but not one people would find odd. It really suits him, especially with our Italian last name.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Are you still happy with the name you chose?  YEs, We named her Lucine Seta, Lucy for short and Seta was my mother's name.

Have you gotten any weird or unexpected comments to the name? I wouldn't say unexpected.  I figured I would get some questions about the name's origin.  People ask if I made it up a lot of the time. 

Do you think LO fits their name?  Yes! I think it suits her just fine  :)

Anything else you want to share! I'm half Armenian and grew up with an extended very Armenian family. It will be harder to teach Lucine her heritage and the language seeing as there are practically zero Armenians in NZ and my family is so far away.  I wanted to make sure she had an Armenian name that could be shortened to something more standard. We have names picked already for baby #2 boy or girl and neither is Armenian . . . MH had more pull for this one. I just hope baby #2 doesn't one day feel bad about that.
  • 1 - yes we still love the name! His name is Ogden and we call him Oggie. DS1 helped pick it too :)

2 - I am surprised by how many people make the connection to the poet Ogden Nash. We live in the Chicago western burbs, through which Ogden Ave runs. Most people ask this second! Like they say "oh, like Ogden Nash! Oh wait...did you name him after the street?" Most people like it since they are familiar with it but it's not common.

3 - Oggie is 100% an Oggie! Ogden is a bit more formal sounding so I usually say Oggie or Ogden I French (more like ohg dan). 

4 - my whole family has been in Chicago since arriving in the US at the turn of the century so I love that it's a very Chicago name. His middle name is Chester which was my grandpa's name (actually DH's grandpa too but he didn't know him). He was a Chicago police officer and his first beat was Ogden ave. Found that out later which is pretty cool. 
  • 1mae20161mae2016 member
    edited July 2016
    I love my LOs name. Her name is Kirra Lea and I'm so glad we went with that instead of "Emberly"  since I've never heard of Kirra but after thinking of the name Emberly I seemed to hear it popping up everywhere.

A lot of people ask of the pronunciation which is a little irritating. She gets called "Kiara" a lot rather than the "Kür-ah" it's supposed to sound like.  

She definitely fits her name. She's an independent, cute, unique personalitied  baby. I sort of imagine a Kirra maybe being a little stuck up and she already has the stank face on point so I guess that fits too. Lol 

Anything else? Her dad actually picked the name so I thought I would hate it and although I do feel like I say it weird sometimes, I love it more and more every time I hear someone it. 
    ETA - corrected spelling 
  • arj14arj14 member

Honestly.... I still don't entirely love it.  It came down to Zoë or Sophia (nn Sophie) with DH giving me the final decision, and I went with Sophia because there were several Zoeys that had just been born on the hospital birth board.

I still love the name Miriam and I think she would have made a lovely Miriam.

Everyone thinks its a super beautiful name, which surprised me because of how common it is.

Jury is still out.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 1. Still Happy?

It's growing on me:) Joseph wasn't my first choice of name (or my second, third, or fourth...) but I love saying "Baby Joe." My MIL noticed it tonight at dinner: everyone always calls him "BabyJoe"!

2. Comments?

Lots! All positive, but weirdly judgemental. People are surprised it's a "traditional" name, and I've had a lot of middle aged white ladies compliment it precisely because it's not one if these newfangled trendy names. Which makes me feel a little odd, tbh. But one of those older white ladies is my husband's grandma, who cannot stop thanking us for naming him something normal: her other great grandkids are named after video game characters (Sonic, for instance).

3. Does it fit?

Actually, yes! None of the other names I liked would have suited him, and he is really seeming like a Joe.

4. Random!

One of the reasons I chose this name over the others DH and I were considering was that it's the same (first and last!) as his pediatrician, who is not only one of the best and most well-regarded doctors in our city, but was the pediatrician for DH and all of his siblings and cousins. Dr. Joe is awesome and saved DH's life by hearing his heart defect when he was a newborn, so I thought it would be a good way to honor that. Dr. Joe totally gets a kick out of it, but an unintended consequence is that we get really great care because all the hospital staff thinks Baby Joe is Dr. Joe's great grandson!
  • 1. I LOVE it! Realized I had the right name picked when I started getting freaked out that obviously everyone else was going to pick the same name since it's the best name ever. I know that's totally not true but that feeling made me really confident in our choice, and I'm still in love with the name Sierra Sky.

2. I've had a few people totally fall in love with the name, and most people are just fine with it. Some people call her Sierra and some friends/family have latched on to using the middle name too, so she'll probably go by Sierra Sky as much as just Sierra.

3. It feels perfect for her. And I'm happy because my husband was set on making the middle name Rae as a girl version of Ray, his middle name and his dad and grandpa's first names, but I didn't like the flow of Sierra Ray (too many r's close together). He actually suggested Sky because he felt like it was kind of related to Ray, and it just felt right. And I promised him we'd make Ray/Rae work with the second kid if that happens.

4. When I got married, my initials became CC, just like my husband's. Everyone kept asking if we were going to give our daughter a C name and we thought about it, but I decided I only would if I specifically loved a C name more than any other name. I'm glad we didn't force another CC, on top of being confusing to have everyone with the same initials, it also would have kept me from picking the name I love the most. 
  • 1. Still happy 
    Yes! I love that Lark is unique but simple
    2. Comments
    I have gotten very positive reactions from people and one weird one. Some guy I don't know said it was a mean kid name, like he would never mess with a girl named Lark. I laughed and took it as a compliment, she will likely be a tough confident kid :)
    3. Does it fit
    I guess so? She is quite laid back, I think it works. 

Yes! We named him Harry Andrew after our paternal grandfathers and I love it more each day. 

We get a ton of compliments on it which I'm semi surprised about because we didn't expect so many people to love it. 

Absolutely. I think baby H is an old soul :)

I know FIL is so honored that we named his first grandson after his father. I had posted months ago about how we were considering not using the name because we were getting the picture that MIL didn't love it (she had made some thinly veiled comments to that effect) but we decided that we loved it and she would get over it and I'm so glad we did. Plus a little part of me likes that we ignored her comments because it was so inappropriate and pushy of her to weigh in in the first place. Haha

It took us a really long time to decide on Kasper. I love that it's a known name but not common. I don't love that it is frequently spelled as Casper but that's not a huge deal. 

We've found that most of our older family including parents are sort of confused by it (asking where we got it from) but anyone under 50 seems to really like it. One family member said "well...that's a name. " WTF?!

I do, I think both of my boys' names fit their personalities. 
  • jessib899jessib899 member
    edited July 2016
    I was iffy about the name Gabriel before my son was born, but I love it now.

We've been asked a few times if he was named after the angel, and that's kinda awkward bc we just liked the name, there's no significant reason for choosing it. The most I'm asked is if he goes by Gabriel or Gabe. The answer is both, and both suit him :smile: But I've noticed most people just call him Gabe. 
  • @mmemartinez we are in the western burbs too and I definitely thought of Ogden Ave! Love the name :)

@Bellodomani everyone always comments that their grandma was named Margaret too 
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
    Yes! I love her name. Gwendolen Maryann is a little long, but I think it's so lyrical and beautiful. Old-fashioned and romantic. Gwendolen is from the legendary British warrior queen as well as the Arthur legends, and Maryann is for DH's deceased grandmother.

Hmm, I don't think so. I get a LOT of compliments on it. The most common question is whether we call her Gwen. We do sometimes, but we mostly call her by her full name. It may be a mouthful but it's just so pretty. :)

Of course! She's strong and beautiful like a warrior queen. :) Gwendolen wasn't my first choice of name at all. Frankly, it was the ONLY one my husband and I liked equally, even if neither of us was completely in love with it at first. If it were strictly up to me, I would have picked Aurora or Cordelia. But now I look at her and it's obvious she's not an Aurora or a Cordelia! Funny how that works.

I really hope she doesn't end up hating me for spelling it Gwendolen instead of Gwendolyn. The en is the original spelling, and I just really prefer it for the symmetry. I thought both spellings were fairly well-known, but I'm finding now that everyone expects it to be spelled with a y. Oops. I assume she'll mostly go by Gwen anyway.
    Yes. We named her Julia, which has always been my favorite girl name. We didn't even consider any other names. 

Nope. A lot of positive comments, nothing negative or weird.

Hard to say since she's 2 months old :) but I think she'll fit it just fine.
    Yes. Ashlynn James.  Ashlynn as the modernized version of the Celtic Aisling and James after my late grandfather (though it's also DH and FIL's first name).  We planned on AJ for short.

Yuuup...My mother keeps thinking she's named after the lion in The Lion, the witch, and the wardrobe (Aslan) and my grandmother keeps thinking it's Ashley. Her middle name is pretty polarizing since it's traditionally male, but no one has been overly rude. Generally we get comments that it's beautiful, and once that it was regal..."reminiscent of a British queen"....

Definitely.  She almost was Brooklynn Rae...but for some reason since she was born I've thought of her as my "fire and ice" baby - she's feisty yet cool and definitely has my irish/ginger nature -so my nickname of choice is Ash, though her dad calls her AJ and that fits too.

Anything else?
    I feel a little bad that she'll probably get called Ashley by strangers/telemarketers - I've dealt with no one getting my name right my whole life.  On the other hand it makes you stronger, and she's already a feisty little thing.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker

• -Are you still happy with the name you chose? 
    Yes! We named her Grace Octavia :) Octavia is her middle name and is my grandmothers name. 

-Have you gotten any weird or unexpected comments to the name?
    Haha, all the time! Well not on the Grace part, just the Octavia. I'm Hispanic, and her name should be pronounced " Oc - Tha - viya" instead of " Oc- Tay - via" I always try to get people to tryyyyy to pronounce it right, I know it can be tricky, normally they just say they can't pronounce it but that it's a beautiful name. I honestly didn't realize it was hard to say, I already feel bad for Grace! Ahhhh oh well! I love the name and my grandmother! I hope Grace appreciates it in the future! 

-Do you think LO fits their name? 
    Yes! The other day DH and I were chatting about her, and her personality. And we came to realize she fits her name perfectly, she truly is the sweetest little girl! She's easy going, loves to sit outside and look around, is sooo smiley. Our little beauty! Funny thing though, she was born with lots of dark brown hair, and looked super tan when she was born - and I thought my Hispanic traits had been passed on - but, now two months later she has bright blue eyes and we *think* her hair is turning red like her daddy! lol she might be the only red headed Octavia around :) 

• -Are you still happy with the name you chose? 
    Yes! We named her Grace Octavia :) Octavia is her middle name and is my grandmothers name. 

-Have you gotten any weird or unexpected comments to the name?
    Haha, all the time! Well not on the Grace part, just the Octavia. I'm Hispanic, and her name should be pronounced " Oc - Tha - viya" instead of " Oc- Tay - via" I always try to get people to tryyyyy to pronounce it right, I know it can be tricky, normally they just say they can't pronounce it but that it's a beautiful name. I honestly didn't realize it was hard to say, I already feel bad for Grace! Ahhhh oh well! I love the name and my grandmother! I hope Grace appreciates it in the future! 

-Do you think LO fits their name? 
    Yes! The other day DH and I were chatting about her, and her personality. And we came to realize she fits her name perfectly, she truly is the sweetest little girl! She's easy going, loves to sit outside and look around, is sooo smiley. Our little beauty! Funny thing though, she was born with lots of dark brown hair, and looked super tan when she was born - and I thought my Hispanic traits had been passed on - but, now two months later she has bright blue eyes and we *think* her hair is turning red like her daddy! lol she might be the only red headed Octavia around :)