September 2016 Moms
Options

Breast Feeding Worries

This is my 3rd and final baby, and I have decided I am going to try and breast feed. My concern is that I have larger aeriolas, has anyone had this issue or been able to feel with that?  I've always been self conscious about them,but have began to worry that it will cause an issue when feeding baby. Not sure why this is bothering me so much, but all pictures on breast feeding support is women with small aeriolas. 

Re: Breast Feeding Worries

• Options
    This is my 3rd and final baby, and I have decided I am going to try and breast feed. My concern is that I have larger aeriolas, has anyone had this issue or been able to feel with that?  I've always been self conscious about them,but have began to worry that it will cause an issue when feeding baby. Not sure why this is bothering me so much, but all pictures on breast feeding support is women with small aeriolas. 
    I don't think areola size will matter at all! Nipple size and projection would matter more, but even then, it's not usually a huge issue unless baby has a lip/tongue tie.
  • Options
    Tippy05Tippy05 member
    edited July 2016
    I've never heard of that being an issue either, but you may want to check with a lactation consultant.  One came to my room after DS was born to help establish a proper technique (he was tongue tied so it was a little tricky).  It was great to have her there to help and made me feel really comfortable, despite the fact that boobs were out all over the place.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have large-ish areolas. My daughter couldn't get the whole areola in her mouth, but it didn't impead our breastfeeding at all. Agree that a lactation consultant should be able to ease your worries regarding any of this.

• Options
    I think that's what I am worried about, whether the aeriola size makes a difference or not. I suppose I've always pictured the baby latched with the aeriola in their mouth, but don't think the whole one will fit. 
  • Options
    I've read that you're supposed to encourage the baby to take as much of the areola into their mouth as possible, since that's where the lactiferous ducts are, but those of us with very large ones won't get the whole thing in.  As long as they are well latched and have their mouth open as wide as possible, the baby should be getting plenty of suction where it's needed and as a result, plenty of milk.  As a FTM, I'll be using the LC services available to me at the hospital as much as possible to make sure I have an idea of what to do before I leave.  Until Baby is here, I'm going to try not to worry about it.  Remember, women have been feeding their babies for literally ever, large areolas or not! :smile:
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    It really shouldn't be a big deal! Don't worry about it. Part of the reason, along with what @Jabreen said is that they want you to be sure the baby's mouth opens big and wide. So taking the whole thing in a smaller areola would be open wide. Baby doesn't have to take the whole areola if it's larger. 
  • Options
    Agreeing with everyone and saying the size doesn't matter. Plus, I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure most women's areolas are larger and darker especially after birth. Feed on mama! 

DD #1 3/26/13
    Mo/Mo twins MMC 3/31/14  o:)
    DD #2 3/31/15
    DD #3 8/25/16
  • Options
    Large areolas unite! I have large areolas and come from a line of women who also have large areolas. All of us breastfed without it being a problem.  I hope your experience goes well! 
  • Options
    I'm on team large areolas and I assure you it never impacted my DDs ability to latch.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    photo its20a20girl_zpsy8rztyxtjpg
  • Options
    Love yall! This thread is making me feel so much better!! I will have to update after she is born and let you all know how it's going. I want to BF, but that's honestly been my set back.
  • Options
    Team big areolas here as well and I BF'd until 14m. Definitely take advantage of the hospital LCs but be prepared to see one once you're out as well. They'll come to your house and insurance covers it sometimes. Also, go to LLL meetings. Many great resources to mar BFing work. 
    Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Just as a heads up, if you try to pump at all, it's good to know there are different sizes available of the "funnel" type piece, sorry I have no idea what it's called, that fit different size areolas.  At least that was the case with my medela pump.  Mine came with 2 sizes, I think it was M and L, and I ended up having to order an XS.  But they go up to an XL or maybe even a XXL.