February 2017 Moms

Constant headaches! Ugh! What's working for you?

I'll be 11 weeks tomorrow and have had a constant headache going on 5 days now. Staying hydrated and rest haven't helped.
I haven't tried Tylenol (I don't have any in the house since it usually doesn't do anything to help my headaches anyhow). When not pregnant, I get an occasional migraine and sleep usually is the only thing that helps. Not working with this!
What's helping to get rid of your headaches?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Constant headaches! Ugh! What's working for you?

• I also have been suffering with headaches. I take Tylenol only when it's unbearable which sadly, is a lot. I hate taking any kind of meds whether pregnant or not but it is the only thing that gives me relief. Lots of water too. 
  • I see a chiropractor regularly which helps keep the headaches at bay, but lately I've had to resort to Tylenol when it gets really bad, even with that it only dulls the pain.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Diagnosed with PCOS March '10 - Started 1000mg of Metformin
    After 3 unsuccessful Clomid cycles, FSH+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Time to make Emilie a big sister!

May '16 2.0: Letrozole+FSH+Menopur+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP! first beta-45.44, second beta-148

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I second @fourPsinapod about the tylenol and lots of water. if I am able to lay down I'll take a nice cold wash rag and put it over my eyes and relax. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • jab3-2jab3-2 member
    Extra strength Tylenol. I usually have to take excedrin for migraines, but can't now obviously so the extra strength T has been doing an okay job. Also, a glass of coke or two. I don't get the energy some do from caffeine, but it does help me with headaches and with naseau too. Cold facecloth helps somewhat too providing at least a little relief. I hope you feel better though and I know what you mean, sleep isn't getting rid of them for me at this point either. 
  • I was actually talking with my boss about this this morning since Tylenol never does diddly squat for me. He suggested using acupressure on the area of your hand between your pointer finger and thumb. He said it works for him about 80% of the time. I've started reading up on it today but have yet to try it. Here is an article showing how to do it:

https://breakingmuscle.com/health-medicine/the-most-famous-accupressure-point-what-does-it-really-do

It does say that it could promote labor in pregnant women, which I'm sure we are probably OK with right now, but I'll probably do some more reading before actually trying it.
  • Tylenol + a can of ice cold coke
  • Me too. But with my morning sickness I'm sure it's because I'm not hydrated. Today I tried a little Coke and it helped a tiny bit. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Thanks so much for the replies so far! I think I might need to get some Tylenol and try it even if it doesn't normally help me. UO maybe, but coke is gross! I could take it with a little iced tea though.

So far the cold washcloth feels good, even if it isn't really making the headache go away!
  • I had a headache the past 2 days and found that drinking Gatorade helped a lot. I think it has a little something to do with dehydration, so electrolytes are a good way to go. Tylenol did absolutely nothing for me either. 
    Married 2/12/2015
    PCOS Dx June 2016
    BFP #1 8/4/2015, MMC 9/24/2015
     DD 2/13/2017 
    BFP #3 8/24/2017, MC 9/20/2017
    BFP #4 11/14/2017, CP
    BFP #5 1/5/2018, MC/BO 2/17/2018
    BFP #6 7/15/2018, CP
    BFP #7 12/15/2018, EDD 8/28/2019
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• I get hormone migraines with my period and have had a redicuous amount of them with this pregnancy.

My prevention has been:
    lots of water
    good sleep

But once its here:
    more water
    a dose of caffeine (if I'm nauseous from it Coke. Otherwise tea/coffee)
    rest
    heat or cool on my neck
  • Tylenol doesn't do anything for me.

Caffeine, hot shower, nap, water/Gatorade, face in the freezer, heat on my neck, neck back and shoulder stretches. My husband has been giving a lot of massages. Salon Pas patches help but I get migraines and get neck and back pain/tightness and the patches help which in turn can stop the migraine sometimes. I also switched to mostly wearing sports bras because my bra straps were bothering me.
  • Something I've read (and have only tried pre-pregnancy) is that if you place a cold cloth on the back of your neck and place your hands and feet in warm water, it will help move blood towards your extremities and help relieve pressure in your head. It's worth a shot to try! I would just be sure you're sitting, don't stand up too fast, and don't make the water too hot to raise your core temp. I kind of envision maybe heating up 3 inches of water in a bath tub to sit in and place the cold compress on your forehead and neck.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @SawyerRichardson I get acupuncture and acupressure on a pretty regular basis. My acupuncturist flat out will not do any points on me that can induce labour before 36 weeks. I'd be a little concerned about doing any point that's linked to labour, because any acupuncture/acupressure point that induces labour does it by starting contractions, which is not something we want at this stage in the game! 

But there are plenty of acupuncture/acupressure points that do help with headaches without inducing labour! I see someone regularly, and if you saw someone, they could recommend points that would be safe for you to do for yourself right now. 
  • More than a cold compress, I use an ice pack. Back is my neck, forehead, temples - basically moving it around to where the headache is. Sometimes it helps get rid of it but if it's really bad it at least helps when it's on. Good luck!
  • I have chronic migraines. I think I cried when my neurologist said I couldn't take Excedrin. She told me to do this:
    1. Take Tylenol and Benedryl.
    2. Drink some caffeine (avoid diet pop, I drink Pepsi Max).
    3. Go to sleep. If you can sleep, put a blanket over your eyes and focus on breathing in and out. Focus on lowering your blood pressure. You'll eventually fall asleep. when you wake, move as slowly as possible. The key is to keep your blood pressure under control. Take your time sitting up before standing.
    4. Drink more caffeine and rest for awhile (bingewatch a tv show).

it may take a day, but it's the best substitute for Excedrin Migraine for me.

• I've been getting really severe migraines and I ice my neck and drink caffeine. It only kind of works and they last for days. My doctor offered me narcotics but honestly i wouldn't be able to function as high as I would have to be to kill the pain
  • L JaneL Jane member
    I had a terrible headache for several days too. Not much really helps me except a little caffeine. I was on vacation and didn't have Tylenol...but past experience told me not to even bother. Tylenol has never done anything for my headaches!!! A lot of times I just have to tough them out during pregnancy. 
  • @poetryandoceans thanks for your input! I will write that one off my list for now.
  • Following! I've been getting sinus headaches every morning for like a week... Tylenol usually helps. For some reason it only seems to be in the morning. I used to drink more caffeine and more water than I have been lately, guessing that's contributing to my personal situation, unfortunately.
  • JDW0325JDW0325 member
    edited July 2016
    Add me to the headache camp too, unfortunately. 
    My OB said 2 Tylenol and a glass of coke! 
    If I have a small one every couple days it helps. Hope you ladies find something that helps you 

edit- b/c i apparently can't type today
  • jab3-2jab3-2 member
    TeacherMom2517, that sounds like a good trick, I'm going to try it. 
  • Echoing all of the suggestions to combine Tylenol with a dose of caffeine! If you want to avoid medication at all, sometimes just a 1/4 cup of coffee and a nap will do it for me--depends how bad the pain is.
    Me: 34 
    Husband: 35
    Married: June 2007
    Son Max born 1/10/17
    BFP #2: 10/5/17; EDD: 6/11/18
  • I use an ergo bead eye mask that I keep in the freezer and it really helps, most of the time. It looks just like this one:
    https://www.healthproductsforyou.com/p-imak-eye-pillow-or-pain-relief-mask-with-massaging-ergobeads.html

But when that fails, a little caffeine and if it is sinus than I let the vapors from my humidifier moisturize my nose. I look a little weird hovering over my humidifier, lol, but I noticed it works better than salene flushing.
  • Coke and an ice pack. I've had the same headache/migraine for 8 weeks (it's starting to get smaller, guys!) and that combo dulls it the best. 

My ob says the med he prescribed pregnant ladies for headaches is basically Percocet minus the aspirin, plus caffeine. And since I'm a stickler trying to avoid it if I can, I feel like Tylenol extra strength and a soda are still a step down. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • L JaneL Jane member
    Coke and an ice pack. I've had the same headache/migraine for 8 weeks (it's starting to get smaller, guys!) and that combo dulls it the best. 

My ob says the med he prescribed pregnant ladies for headaches is basically Percocet minus the aspirin, plus caffeine. And since I'm a stickler trying to avoid it if I can, I feel like Tylenol extra strength and a soda are still a step down. 
    I think that's what I was prescribed during my last pregnancy. It wasn't until the 3rd tri though.  Thankfully my headaches haven't been that bad...yet. 
  • @HeatSparks last pregnancy I had to take Tylenol with codeine. It barely did anything but I did fall asleep in a birthing class after taking it once lol.
  • krobkrob member
    I caved after days of headaches and fitful night of sleep with a constant headache. At 5am I went to the bodega and got an egg and cheese sandwich, a coke and extra strength Tylonel. Ahhh sweet relief. 
    Me: 36, H: 37
    FTM, 2 Furbabies
    married 03/17/07
    lived in Houston, Austin, Los Angeles and NYC
    due: 2/15/17
  • I am a regular migraine sufferer - and these pregnant headaches have been doozies. Agree with all the posts above but wanted to add one more very non-traditional thing that works for me - an orgasm! From yourself or your partner, followed by a nap, or go right to bed :) 
  • edited August 2016
    Oh! Thank God I found this post that got buried!! Thank you all for tips! And you all are right! Tylenol and caffeine is what my neurologist also suggested..but he also warned of rebound headaches with caffeine. I've been taking Tylenol w/ codeine which really has not been helping much.  I forgot about the caffeine so will ask DH to get some Pepsi for me.  Gahhhh! I love our group!! 

Edit: spelling