February 2017 Moms

UTI? Freaked out (TW)

I had a urine culture and bloodwork at my last appointment over a week ago.   The nurse just called me this afternoon to tell me that I have a slight UTI, and they called in some antibiotics. 

I do not get frequent UTI's and the last time I got this phone call, it was a week after the baby had stopped growing.   I had a UTI with my missed miscarriage.. My miscarriage was due to a chromosomal issue, I know that, it just made me wonder if the loss caused it.  

I know in my head that this is common, but my PGAL mind can't help but panic.   Google does NOT help, looks like UTI's can cause early miscarriages.  I am also baffled why the urine culture results didn't come back for over a week.   Wouldn't that be something to diagnose and treat immediately?  

Has anyone had one with this pregnancy or previous pregnancies and not had a problem?   
Married - 7/29/06
Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
Mia - 6/16/11
Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: UTI? Freaked out (TW)

• I am on my third right now. Both previous ones were bad enough my kidneys got swollen and painful. And ultrasound yesterday showed a healthy baby.
  • I had one earlier in this pregnancy, really early. I also had one in my last pregnancy. (Caused no issues, my daughter was fine) 

I am afraid I have another. Those are the only I have ever had. 

I would try not to google even though that's exactly what I did. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I had UTIs with both my previous pregnancies. The first one they said was really bad. I had to take antibiotics with both. Both my kids were born healthy and fine. The only time I've gotten them is while pregnant. And I have no clue why they take so long getting those results back to us. This pregnancy is nuts so far. I haven't even been checked for any of that. I'll have it done on Thursday when I'll be 12 weeks, and at my second appointment. Super weird. But I hope knowing that they seem to be common helps ease your mind. And I hope everything is ok with baby :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Google sucks. I know there's nothing I can say to ease your thoughts, but I'm thinking about you and sending you lots of calming thoughts!
  • If it helps, I really don't see how a loss could possibly cause bacteria to get into your urethra. That is to say that they were likely totally unrelated and therefore this UTI has nothing to do with baby! I hope you feel better soon. 
  • Thank you!   Logically, it makes no sense, but who needs logic right?   I haven't had any noticeable symptoms of a UTI, so I was surprised to get the call.   I will start antibiotics tonight and hope they stay down since pills have not been friends lately. 
    Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • The reason it takes so long is because the lab has to let the bacteria grow, it's not magic! Your urine sample gets plated to agar and has to grow for about 24 hrs, then from what growth they see they have to separate out the different types of bacteria and let those grow to identify them. Generally a urine culture should only take about 3 days for results, but I guess it just depends on the process and protocols of the lab it gets sent to!
  • mmg410625 said:
    The reason it takes so long is because the lab has to let the bacteria grow, it's not magic! Your urine sample gets plated to agar and has to grow for about 24 hrs, then from what growth they see they have to separate out the different types of bacteria and let those grow to identify them. Generally a urine culture should only take about 3 days for results, but I guess it just depends on the process and protocols of the lab it gets sent to!
    I'm not sure if you were trying to be helpful or condescending, but it certainly sounds like the latter. 
    Chill out. 
  • PgAL brain is so hard, sending you some great thoughts and strength :)
  • Ok, thank you for the lab explanation, that does make sense, but it has been 11 days, that seems odd.  

Thanks for everyone understanding the anxiety brain that makes this stuff harder.   Now, to convince my stomach that pills are not evil. 
    Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Anxiety brain sucks... Medical stuff is a huge trigger for me so I get it!!

it does take a bit but 11 days is just not cool!

Can you get some raw ginger? I have been having that in warm water (kind of like tea). Really helps calm the stomach!

Take the ABX with food! And ask your OB if you can take a probiotic (opposite times of the ABX). That will help both your stomach and to avoid yeast infections!

Feel better momma!
  • @Partyof6 can you sign up to get your test results online?
    My doctor has this option, so I watch it like a hawk after every visit. I'm the one who called them to say it looked like I had a UTI. Unfortunately they didn't automatically culture my sample and the lab got rid of it. Great. I went in on Monday to give a new sample and just got my final urine culture results (negative) this morning when I looked up my results. No one has called me yet and I'm wondering just when they'll get around to it!
    I think doctors offices are busy (especially the mfm I see, I'm PGAL too), so I'm glad I have to option to watch out for my own results!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My OB said that UTIs during pregnancy present no symptoms. Which is crazy if they're not checking us for them more frequently. I'm sure all is well and I'm glad you got abx ❤️
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Just realized as I was loving your responses, I wasn't loving that so many of you are dealing with these, just the comments and support.  1st antibiotic on board, I need to take the other before bedtime when medicine cannot go down. Thanks for the suggestions! 
    Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My SIL had them throughtout both pregnancies - she has healthy 6 and 2.5 year olds :)
  • I had 2 last pregnancy. Though I think the second was just the first continued because the antibiotics were crap. I think it was unnecessary to scare you like that. UTI's are ridiculously common in pregnancy. Try not to worry! 

@mmg410625  That's cool, I didn't know that.
  • I was called by the nurse 8 days after my appointment to be told I had a UTI. Not sure what took so long. I just finished my abx yesterday. Depending on what they put you on, be ready for some weird colored pee. I was concerned about my diet/hydration after I was peeing orange the first day, but it's just something in the prescription. 

I had a u/s on Monday and baby was happily wiggling around. Hope this helps calm your nerves!!
  • Sorry, def just trying to be helpful....tone is hard to interpret through text alone....which is why I don't participate unless I have something meaningful to contribute!