September 2015 Moms
Options

How do you get anything done?

Hey ladies, boy am I struggling to get what I need to do done every day. I'm at home right now but doing a certification course in online educational design for better future job potential (you might remember I posted here about maybe doing a nursing program a while back, it was definitely the wrong choice and I'm much more excited about this new direction). And I have a very needy boy who is not good at independent play and is getting into everything and pulling up on everything at the moment.

I have been trying to finish my project for the week and learn a new program and I have been so frustrated at how little quality time I have been able to give to it because it's important to me, but he's my first priority. And he's an amazing baby too, so sweet and good tempered, he just whines a lot when he wants you. I hate feeling like I'm ignoring him but he only naps for 2 hours a day and I also use that time to eat/shower/cook/clean as needed, so I can't always use it for my work. What do you guys do with your littles' to get stuff done? He loves his walker but I don't like to leave him in it too long and he still needs to be monitored. My DH is home in the evenings but he's almost as needy as the baby and he likes to use that for family time. I know lots of ladies would love to be home with their LOs all day so please don't think I'm complaining, I know I'm very lucky. But my career is important to me and I'm just not balancing my life well right now. Would love to know how to do this and not feel like a bad mom! 

Re: How do you get anything done?

• Options
    It's not the best thing I suppose, but my baby loves watching the show Baby Einstein, if I need to get stuff done I'll put him in his play yard and he'll just sit there completely engaged. He's otherwise pretty needy and very active. He rarely sits still, the only time he sits still is to eat or when he watches the show, it's on YouTube.
  • Options
    Honestly, I think you need to enlist your DH to help out. Maybe some of the evening can be time for just him and your LO to bond so you can work. I'm assuming you also work after LO goes to sleep. I'm a freelance writer and I work when my LO naps and sleeps, but he takes two naps a day, each at least an hour, and goes down for the night at 7 or 7:30, which leaves me a good amount of time each day. Otherwise, I'm not able to do any writing while my son is awake. I can do chores, but my attention can be at least partially on him as he plays in his play yard or "helps" (like playing with the laundry I'm folding). You're in a really tough spot because it sounds like you have to be focused entirely on the computer. My only other idea is to have "play yard only" toys, or put together some novel and safe items for LO to play with while you try to work. If something is new to my LO, he is way better about playing independently. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I admit I use my 3.5yo as a babysitter quite a bit... but I am getting way more done with 2 kids than I did with just one. I think part of it was adapting to the new normal, and getting baby to do what I'm doing. I shower after bedtime or wake up early (and it's not every day because I like sleep more than nice hair). I cook with LO in her high chair and give her tastes, measuring cups, spoons, etc. I clean while she's on the floor, give her socks to roll in while I fold laundry, and I tend to vacuum while the kids finish their supper. Nap times are when I do preschool activities (on days I have kids here) or when I give my oldest a movie and do my own thing.

Im not perfect. LO is sick and has been waking more, so 90% of our clothing is in hampers or in a giant pile in the first room waiting to be folded. I could go fold it now, but this is my time, and I need to do some paperwork and eat ice cream :smile:
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We hired a cleaning lady. She does the big shit that I just don't have the time for now. Scrubs floors and cleans bathrooms, etc. it's been a lifesaver. I can spend what little free time I have doing yard work (which I love and makes me feel like pre baby me), overtime from home, fun stuff with the baby. Not feeling the pressure to clean the house from top to bottom every Saturday like I used to has helped me see what's really important. If I were a stay at home mom I don't think I'd ever get anything done. No clue how it's even possible! 
  • Options
    Only cleaning I get done is when I wear DS in the ergo, he thinks the vaccume is relaxing but cleaning with a 20+lb baby on your chest is a workout. Two birds one stone?

To shower I put DS in the pack n play with toys in front of the shower, it keeps him safely contained while I shower. 
  • Options
    BabyBugutskyBabyBugutsky member
    edited July 2016
    It's not the best thing I suppose, but my baby loves watching the show Baby Einstein, if I need to get stuff done I'll put him in his play yard and he'll just sit there completely engaged. He's otherwise pretty needy and very active. He rarely sits still, the only time he sits still is to eat or when he watches the show, it's on YouTube.
    This is what I do. I put him in his play pen and turn on Treehouse. He will play with toys and dance to songs on TV. It allows me to do things I need to get done. 

Edit to add I do what I can't get done during the day while he is napping and when he is in bed at night too. I also agree with a pp that you need to get DH to help more. Have you talked to DH about how you're feeling? He may not know just how much you're struggling to get everything done. I had the same issue the first few months and after we talked about it DH is helping a lot more with everything. He was upset that I was depressed because I couldn't get everything done. Congrats on you're new educational adventure! 
  • Options
    I sort of made my small living room child proof and I sort of baracade him in there with his toys ( I can see him straight from the kitchen) and he enjoys his play time (maybe sometimes with mickey mouse clubhouse on), walker for a little while, highchair with his snack/lunch/breakfast (this usually allows me to get some dishes done) he is a slow eater so it gives me some time.  I also still have my jumper out...he thinks its still fun and it keeps him in one place even though he is a little tall for it he still bounces and lifts up his legs :) I am going to have to try the play yard for the shower idea... I tend to always get in a pickle when the am comes and he wakes up before I jump in and get ready for work....
  • Options
    thinkpink101thinkpink101 member
    edited July 2016
    My LO hasn't napped at home at all for over a month (he'll take up to one 40 min nap at the beach/pool/mall/walk mid day) and he's up by 6am every morning. I don't get anything done unless I do it with LO. He's way too tall for swings/walkers/jumpers so the only place I can contain him is his pack n play or crib and he doesn't tolerate that for long. LO cooks, cleans and does dishes with me, everything takes longer but I chat with him while doing it so he's learning too. I would definitely focus on your schoolwork if you can get him to nap!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My list of things I can't do as LO is awake keeps growing! He chases my broom and dirt pile now. Lol. I can't empty or load the dish washer while LO is awake. Laundry is out of the question, also. Needless to say my home is always messy.
  • Options
    It sounds like I'm not alone, lol! I am pretty good at getting most of the house stuff done because he will go in a high chair or jumparoo or walker for a bit while I do things, he just won't hang out in them for long before he's whining for me again. But I can manage cooking and cleaning stuff between that and a carrier. It's honestly just being able to sit down at the computer, with use of both of my hands, without him being in mortal peril every two minutes. I'd say I can get about an hour and a half a day during naps, but that doesn't feel nearly enough. Maybe I'm just expecting too much. My DH watches him most mornings for an hour so I can catch up on sleep, and he will offer if I'm really frustrated and he's home, but he spends a lot of his off time working on the cars or fixing things around the house which are not baby watching activities. I have thought about getting a sitter or sending him to day-care one or two days a week so I can get a whole work day in. DH is pretty cheap but I may be able to convince him. Thanks guys, you've given me some good ideas! 
  • Options
    I send m DH and DD to bed early and power clean for a couple hours every night, I'm sleepy but I have more time during naps, lol, my DH is needy too
  • Options
    Lol! Basically...
  • Options
    It's easy.  My house is a constant disaster and I'm late to work everyday.  But at least my kids are clothes, fed and healthy.  :)

Seriously, I get stuff done when no one is home (which is never) or very late (11pm or later) on a Saturday night.  I also like waking at 6am on weekends to get a jumpstart on the day.  I basically function on 5-6 hours of sleep per day. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    tlc11934 said:
    It's easy.  My house is a constant disaster and I'm late to work everyday.  But at least my kids are clothes, fed and healthy.  :)

Seriously, I get stuff done when no one is home (which is never) or very late (11pm or later) on a Saturday night.  I also like waking at 6am on weekends to get a jumpstart on the day.  I basically function on 5-6 hours of sleep per day. 
    Superwoman!!!!! Hats off to you! 

• Options
    tlc11934 said:

This is my life lately!
  • Options
    With great difficulty! *sighs
  • Options
    It only gets harder with each kid! I have 3 now, but they are spread out (9, almost 5, and 10 months). The eldest is a big help & can do chores. We just bought a chore chart we are going to start using it during  the upcoming school year (when we're back on a regular schedule). I do laundry & dishes, sweeping/mopping, and cooking/eating while Piper is up. She's either barricaded in the living room with all her toys/gear, or in her Highchair or jumper. Her nap time is my "mommy time". Make that time for yourself!

Our normal schedule when school is in session is up at 6am, that way I can shower & have coffee before the kids wake up. Then get the kids ready & off to school, and get back home to do the every day stuff (dishes, laundry, sweep, etc) done early. Then when the princess naps, I have "me time". Like PPs have said, try to do the housework when baby is awake & use nap time to focus on school. Mad props to you for the new educational endeavor! Good luck!