September 2015 Moms
Options

Drinking Less and Less BM

My LO is wanting less and less BM.  Anyone else experiencing this? Yesterday my LO only ate 3oz of BM while I was at work all day.  He eats plenty of solids and is in the 95th percentile for weight and height so he is growing fine.  I was pumping 2 times a day at work and getting about 10oz along with nursing him when I was home.  I'm wondering if I should go down to pumping one time a day at work?  Is he self weaning? He is 10.5 months.  My goal was make it 12 months.

Re: Drinking Less and Less BM

• Options
    I am experiancing the same thing. According to Le Leche League leaders and some friends, it is day weaning. My LO will be 10 months on the 29th, and I just went down to one pump a day this week. I am a little nervous I dropped down too soon because I would like to make it 12 months as well. I wish there was a manual for these kids! He drinks anywhere from 6 to 9 ounces while I am away. The amount of BM he drinks has been slowly dropping from 16 ounces (most he has ever consumed at daycare). He prefers to eat solids during the day and is about 25 lbs, so weight and height are not an issue. I nurse mornings, evenings, and also middle of the night still. Worse case, I will add the second pump back in. Awesome job making it so far and working! It is certainly a labor of love!
  • Options
    We are in the same boat here! He is 10 months now and hardly takes pumped BM any more. We nurse before all naps/going to bed and the occasional day nurse - but it is pretty quick and fast. I think he is weaning himself, which I suppose is good - but I kinda feel sad? 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    tvistetviste member
    My daughter is going back and forth between not wanting to nurse and wanting to do nothing but nurse. I think she is starting to self wean which is okay because she starts daycare in a month
  • Options
    tvistetviste member
    My last post was cut off.....

I agree with the PP about it being a sad transition. Before my daughter was born, the thought of breast feeding kinda freaked me out and I didn't plan on doing it long. Now, almost 11 months in, I don't want to quit. I am not sad about stopping breast feeding itself. I am sad about losing the connection that comes with breast feeding.