February 2017 Moms

Have to Quit BFing

amotz777amotz777 member
edited July 2016 in February 2017 Moms
note--since I am still pretty new I am not sure what is considered a TW but this seems like something that might fit. 

I made the decision today that I will be quitting nursing/pumping for my 10-month-old. The pain has just gotten too bad to result in half of what he drinks a day. My freezer stash is almost gone. So today I bought my first tub of formula and we are going to give him a bottle of it a day for now to supplement until I am done tapering. I am so heartbroken that I wasn't able to make it to a year like I had originally planned but at the same time I feel like I am forcing it for me and not him. I guess it is better that he seems very okay with not nursing rather than if he were to be trying to nurse while I am trying to quit. I know it's better for me and both babies as a result. It's just so hard to stop something that I have been doing for my boy since he was minutes old. I know I am lucky to have been able to do it as long as I have. I'm just going to miss it. 

Re: Have to Quit BFing

• Aww don't feel bad! Weaning is rough emotionally. I've been trying so hard to wean my son but he is ridiculously attached still. I've even considered taking night shifts at work so he has to break the habit. I really have no idea what else I could do. I don't have any advice but just wanted to say I sympathize. It's rough. 
  • I pumped exclusively for both my kids. With my first I was young and didn't do a good job at all. I was only pumping every 8 hours instead of every 3 which is what I did for my second. Because of that my boobs were going crazy and started drying up quickly. I gave up after only a couple months. I was so sad that my son would be on formula. With my daughter I thought I had enough frozen milk to make it to 12 months so I quit pumping when she was 8 months. My frozen milk only lasted until she was 10 months then she finished out on formula. Again I was bummed. But I got over it within a couple weeks and both my kids developed fine and took well to the formula we bought. I guess what I'm saying is that I understand you feel disappointed to not go as long as you wanted, but I think you did great going as long as you did, while pregnant. It's extra emotional right now, and I know you're bummed but trust me you will move on quickly and be okay with it soon. Don't be hard on yourself, you're being the best mom you can be to your babies and that's amazing! :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I know you're a Feb mom, but you might have better luck with a question like this on the Breastfeeding board.

Also, you don't have to TW breastfeeding or children.  But I do sincerely appreciate your sensitivity.
  • You are awesome for making it to 10 months! Don't feel bad for making the decision to wean. It's an emotional process. I nursed my first while pregnant with my second. When I weaned, I still nursed my ds to sleep, but that was the only time I nursed him. Eventually he didn't want to nurse at night anymore, my guess was I dried up. That made the switch easier for both of us. 
  • I understand how you feel.  I stopped at ten months too.   It was actually a big relief for me since DD was going through a bad teething stage.   She didn't even seem to mind the switch to formula which was comforting.   Good luck!!! 
  • Thanks to everyone for all the kind words and support! I think the hardest part for me will be missing out on the bedtime nursing session. I was hoping to keep that going for a couple
    months after he turned one but oh well. I am coming to grips with it all. 

@AnnaAT he had his first bottle of formula today and apparently took it like a champ. That is comforting! 

@MonaLisaRalphio Sorry if this this was in the wrong place. I just associated my quitting BFing with my pregnancy since it is an unfortunate effect of the sore boobs. I would have continued on if it we ren't for being pregnant so I thought it would work here and was just kind of ranting instead of asking a question.  My bad! 
  • You're fine, there are other moms on this board who are 2nd, 3rd and even 4th time moms who may be able to offer support or understanding. I think she was just suggesting the other board may be helpful too.

We have two sleeping beauties in heaven.
    Jack gained his wings on 09/02/2016. 
    Kali gained her wings on 07/28/2015.
    They will be forever missed. <3
       Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @amotz777 Yes, what @bdesterhouse said - I was just thinking you might get more answers over there.  It's totally fine to cross-post to two boards, though!
  • Oh thanks!!!