September 2015 Moms

Daycare Transition

I work in a school and was very fortunate to have this year off to be at home with my LO. I go back in September (I break down and cry at the thought of it) - but I think it will be good for both of us. My LO is so attached to me with bad separation and stranger anxiety. If my husband takes her from me, or anyone, she has a melt down. 

My mom and MIL are going to watch her 3 days and my neighbor who runs an in home daycare is watching her the other 2 days. 

I'm worried about the neighbors because she's unfamiliar even though we've visited a couple times since baby was born. I'm planning to transition my LO by perhaps going with her for an hour for a couple days and then leaving her for an hour a couple days while I'm still home. She loves other kids so the socialization will be good. I admit I haven't brought her out to many play dates or classes because I was always so tired until she started STTN and then trying to keep her on a schedule to maintain good sleep - it's my regret. 

Any tips for transitioning and starting daycare or with unfamiliar sitter? What helped your LOs? Thanks in advance! 

Re: Daycare Transition

• My advice is similar to what you have stated already but I transitioned my daughter for about 10 days before actually leaving her a full day and going to work. I went one day and showed her where she would be staying/playing, then the next day I left her for 2 hours, and then 3 hours, and so on. I am so relieved I did that while I was still nearby so if they needed me they could call and I could get there quick. They never called me, but it was helpful for my peace of mind. My daughter transitioned thankfully pretty well and only cried for about 2 weeks at drop off. Now she doesn't cry at all when I leave. Which helps me so much when I go to work because I don't worry nearly as much about her being happy. She loves playing with other kids and seeing her smile when I pick her up makes things a little easier.