March 2017 Moms

Meal Plan Monday

Hi! I just wrote my whole post and then my computer did something weird and I lost it...so here we go! These recipes are easy to substitute in things to accomodate your life and allergies, they can be made dairy free, gluten free, vegan...they are also very versatile! We are living through a heatwave here in the Northeast, so they are very hot weather friendly as well. I hope everyone had a great weekend! Did you try any recipes from last week?

Breakfast
Strawberries ‘n’ Cream Smoothie Bowl
Serves 1
Recipe by Lindsay Hunt
INGREDIENTS
1 cup frozen strawberries
½ cup yogurt
¼ cup milk
1 Tbsp. maple syrup, plus additional for drizzling
¼ tsp pure vanilla extract
½ cup cornflakes
5 strawberries, sliced
¼ cup blueberries
2 Tbsp. almonds
1 Tbsp. pumpkin seeds
1 tsp chia seeds
PREPARATION
Blend the strawberries, yogurt, 1 tablespoon of the maple syrup, and the vanilla until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and top with the cornflakes, strawberries, blueberries, almonds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, and a drizzle of yogurt.

Lunch (more strawberries because they're delicious, add chicken or other protein to make it more of a meal)

Ingredients
1 bunch fresh spinach
1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese (pasteurized, or sub cheddar)
1/2 cup raw pecans (leave out for allergies)

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 cup olive oil
salt and ground black pepper to taste
Directions
Combine the spinach, strawberries, Gorgonzola cheese, and pecans in a large bowl.
Stir the balsamic vinegar and honey together in a bowl; slowly stream the olive oil into the mixture while whisking continuously. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle the dressing over the salad just before serving.

Dinner (in the crock pot because it is so damn hot!)

Hawaiian BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches )

Ingredients

2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1/2 cup ketchup
1/3 cup pineapple juice (apple juice could be substituted)
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
2 1/2 tsp molasses
1/4 tsp liquid smoke (I omit because I don't keep it on hand)
1/4 tsp coconut extract
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 Tbsp cold water
1 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp tomato paste

Glazed Pineapple
6 fresh pineapple rings (cut about 1/2" thick)
4 Tbsp brown sugar, divided
1 Tbsp butter, divided
Directions

Place chicken in a 6 or 7 quart slow cooker. In a mixing bowl, whisk together ketchup, pineapple juice, low sodium soy sauce, honey, molasses, liquid smoke, coconut extract, ginger, onion powder, garlic powder and black pepper. Pour sauce over chicken in slow cooker, cover with lid and cook on low heat for 5 - 6 hours. Remove chicken from slow cooker, shred and set aside. In a medium saucepan, whisk together cold water and cornstarch, pour in sauce from slow cooker and add tomato paste. Bring mixture to a boil over medium high heat, stirring frequently, then reduce heat and simmer 30 seconds, stirring constantly, until thickened. Return chicken to slow cooker (or the mixing bowl) and pour sauce over chicken, toss to evenly coat. Serve warm on hamburger buns, along with optional glazed or grilled pineapple and optional diced green onions (grilled red onions would be good too).

Glazed Pineapple
Working in 2 separate batches, melt 1 Tbsp butter in a 10 inch non-stick skillet. Sprinkle 1 Tbsp brown sugar among one side of 3 pineapple rings (about 1 tsp per each), add pineapple to skillet (brown sugar side down) and saute over medium high heat until golden on bottom about 3 minutes. Sprinkle another 1 Tbsp over the tops of pineapple rings in pan (again 1 tsp per each), then flip and cook opposite side until lightly browned about 3 minutes. Repeat this process with remaining 3 pineapple rings.

March 2017 August Siggy Challenge-  Summer Fails

formerly known as theabels

Married to DH since May 2009
TTC Baby #1 since October 2012
Dx with Stage 3 Endo December 2013
IVF #1 Retrieval: February 27- 21 eggs retrieved, 16 fertilized via ICSI 
March 4: 1 egg transferred. 10 embies on ice!
March 17: BFP!!

FET#1 Transfer: 6/30/16
7/7/16 BFP
Initial Beta 396! 
Beta 2- 1007
Beta 3- 2952

Official Due Date 3/18/17!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Meal Plan Monday

• Mmmm that BBQ pulled chicken sounds delicious! I may have DH attempt it when he's off on Wednesday!
  • kjd291kjd291 member
    Is it really already Monday... I still have your last meals on my to-do list. Haha*facepalm*  Hoping I can get back to cooking without puking very soon.