January 2017 Moms
Options

Currently Breastfeeding Check-in 6.21

1. How old is your nursling? 

2. Current challenges in nursing your toddler/baby? (Pregnancy related, or in general) 

3. Plans to wean? Tandem nurse?

4. Planning on trying any new breastfeeding products this time?

5. What fears do you have breastfeeding a new baby? 

Re: Currently Breastfeeding Check-in 6.21

• Options
    ThePax89ThePax89 member
    edited June 2016
    1. Almost 20 months. 
    2. Nursing is painful. She only nurses 2x/day. Before her nap and before bed. My milk is nearly gone. 
    3. I plan on weaning as soon as the first trimester exhaustion chills out. I am home with my dd all day and need her to nap. I'm worried she won't go to sleep without a boob. 
    4. I bought a my Brest friend pillow. I used a boppy with my daughter. I need some nice reusable breast pads too. 
    5. My milk didn't come in until day 8 with my daughter. She nursed constantly and was a VERY alert baby. I'm worried that my next baby will be a normal baby who sleeps a lot and it won't be enough to stimulate my milk. 
  • Options
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @ThePax89 *lurking, I had to wean to get my ovulation back* I had a super alert nurser too, but I've read and heard that your milk will come in sooner (likely) with future babies cause your body knows what's up! I'm hoping it's true in case I'm gestating a snoozer too!
  • Options
    Thanks @katesmama0706. It's one of those stupid irrational fears. My BF journey was largely uneventful. Even with my milk not coming in, she still maintained birth weight. How old is your LO? 
  • Options

12 months and about 3 weeks

2. Current challenges in nursing your toddler/baby? (Pregnancy related, or in general) 

supply has gone wayyyyy down and it is still not super comfortable to feed her, so my will to continue is seriously dwindling. DH has been pushing for me to wean her since about a month before her first birthday, mainly because he's tired of having to get up in the middle of the night to bring her to me (which is what we do to try to balance the fact that by default I am the one who's up nursing her). And at this point, I'm ready to give in. 

in the process of weaning now

definitely plan to try some new nursing bras! Haven't really thought about anything else tbh

I guess just that it won't go as well as the first time.  We had a rough go of it in the beginning but over all it's been pretty great and I hope it will be again!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    *dirty lurker ftm here* Can I just say, going back and reading the other breastfeeding checkins from previous weeks has been so enlightening!?! I didn't even know people breastfed for so long and that there were so many struggles with TTC and pregnancy while still breastfeeding. It has opened my eyes so much!
    Previously PaukMeKiande
    Surprise BFP/MC February 2011 
    BFP May 16th 2016
    EDD January 25 2017
    DD born January 30 2017
    Surprise BFP/MC April 2017
  • Options
    1. Just turned 1! 
    2. She's going through that phase where she gets super distracted and stops nursing, then yells at me if I cover up, then pitches a fit bc yelling didn't get her what she wanted. 
    3. I nurse her typically at nap time and sometimes before bed. She isn't as attached as her sister was, so I think she'll probably self wean soon. DD1 self weaned when she was 2.
    4. Other than new bras and maybe a new breast pump, no.
    5. None really. I'm blessed to be able to feed my children, whether through BM or through formula. I'm thankful to have had great BFing experiences, but if it isn't the same this time around, that doesn't mean I failed or that my new little bit won't be full or healthy. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    20 months
    I don't have as much milk and don't feel really full anymore. It is pretty tender now. But my DD has shown no interest in slowing down. She nurses probably 5x a day and 3x a night on average. 
     I would like to night wean this summer. Some days a just feel done but maybe because she nurses so much still. I'm not too interested in tandem nursing. My goal is to have a few months of no one touching my boobs before the new baby comes. I just don't know how to cut things off. She's so attached. 

not sure. Maybe some different nipple cream. 
    that for some reason it won't work out this time. I had SO MUCH MILK that I had to wear nursing pads for 7 months. My milk would spray everywhere when DD would unlatch. I just don't want to deal with that again but I'd take that over not having enough milk. 
  • Options
    @PaukMeKiande yep! A lot of women don't get their periods until they fully wean. I was part of the unlikely few who had a return of fertility at 10 weeks postpartum. As for nursing past infancy it is actually recommended to nurse until age two now. 
  • Options
    ThePax89 said:
    @PaukMeKiande yep! A lot of women don't get their periods until they fully wean. I was part of the unlikely few who had a return of fertility at 10 weeks postpartum. As for nursing past infancy it is actually recommended to nurse until age two now. 
    This is my one hesitation with weaning now - I know the breast milk is so good for her and she still loves it.  I just don't know if my production is still high enough to really keep up with it.  Our pediatrician is really pushing us to stop nap time and night time feedings and that's the main time that we nurse.  I have such mixed feelings.  
  • Options
    Ugh @karaelaine1991 can you find a more supportive pedi? We ended up swtiching because of differing views in nursing. My daughter probably won't be making it until 2, which breaks my heart because it was my goal. But I need this to be over at the same time 
  • Options
    He's 11 months

Very sensitive nips, painful to nurse

I've been slowly weaning and we haven't nursed in a few days

Nah. Happy with what I had

I'm just hoping we don't have the latch issues that I had with my son
  • Options
    ThePax89 said:
    Ugh @karaelaine1991 can you find a more supportive pedi? We ended up swtiching because of differing views in nursing. My daughter probably won't be making it until 2, which breaks my heart because it was my goal. But I need this to be over at the same time 
    Well we actually have to switch because we're moving on Saturday to be closer to DH's office and it would be over an hour to drive to our current pediatrician.  This is actually really upsetting to me because for the most part I love the practice we go to.  As for the no nursing before sleeping thing, the reason she's recommending it is because she's concerned that the desire to nurse is preventing DD from getting enough sleep which is definitely possible; she takes about 40 minute naps when they recommend at least an hour and she typically wakes up about every 3 hours at night now to nurse.  There was a night last week when I nursed her for an hour before I finally gave up in frustration, and then it finally took DH another hour to actually get her down.  We're both very frustrated with it and pedi's theory that she's waking from a desire to nurse makes sense.  Since a doctor gave us these instructions, DH is clinging to them like they're irrefutable (although I thought he learned his lesson about doctors not being infallible during our failed cry it out experiment but that's another story...)

TL;DR very on the fence about what to do since both pedi and DH are on Team Stop Nursing and I'm so uncomfortable now when DD does it.  Maybe I can stop at night time and just give in when she asks during the day?  Ugh.  Parenting is hard.  
  • Options
    lurking because my daughter weaned (and finally stopped relapsing and asking randomly) and I'm missing it already!
    @karaelaine1991 I tried EVERYTHING to get my daughter to sleep better.  She had good naps, no sleep props (no paci and fell asleep on her own with no nursing or rocking), she went to bed before she was overtired, we night weaned, we didn't talk or make wake-ups "interesting".  Didn't work.  I can only assume she was rolling over, realizing she was half-awake, and missing her mom and dad.  It wasn't until about 16 months that she started waking us up only once a night.  Now at 19 months she's still waking 1x most nights, with an occasional night here and there that she sleeps through.  I never worried about her sleep because she was hitting or exceeding typical milestones and her temperament was good (happy, alert, not falling asleep randomly, not throwing more fits than a typical child of her age, etc.)  I worried more about my own sleep!

Every baby is different - I know people who night weaned and their children started sleeping through the night within a couple of weeks - I just wanted to share our story because I don't want you to night wean if you're not ready (or you feel she's not ready) and then be disappointed if it doesn't fix the sleep issue.  

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    @colleenkevin (raises hand) dd was waking 5-15 times a night to nurse, no joke, at 15 months. We night weaned her and within 4 nights she started Sttn. Sometimes she wakes up in her crib and comes into our bed for snuggles, but doesn't need a boob. 
  • Options
    lurking because my daughter weaned (and finally stopped relapsing and asking randomly) and I'm missing it already!
    @karaelaine1991 I tried EVERYTHING to get my daughter to sleep better.  She had good naps, no sleep props (no paci and fell asleep on her own with no nursing or rocking), she went to bed before she was overtired, we night weaned, we didn't talk or make wake-ups "interesting".  Didn't work.  I can only assume she was rolling over, realizing she was half-awake, and missing her mom and dad.  It wasn't until about 16 months that she started waking us up only once a night.  Now at 19 months she's still waking 1x most nights, with an occasional night here and there that she sleeps through.  I never worried about her sleep because she was hitting or exceeding typical milestones and her temperament was good (happy, alert, not falling asleep randomly, not throwing more fits than a typical child of her age, etc.)  I worried more about my own sleep!

Every baby is different - I know people who night weaned and their children started sleeping through the night within a couple of weeks - I just wanted to share our story because I don't want you to night wean if you're not ready (or you feel she's not ready) and then be disappointed if it doesn't fix the sleep issue.  
    Thanks for sharing! We'll see how it goes... as of right now the most we've done is tried not to get her asleep initially by nursing and then if she wakes up in the middle of the night I nurse her.  DH wants that to stop too but I told him that if he wants that to happen he'll have to be the one getting up every time and getting her back to sleep, because if I try she'll just want to eat...so far, he hasn't taken me up on that haha
  • Options
    colleenkevincolleenkevin member
    edited June 2016
    @ThePax89 we maxed out at 9 wake ups on our bad nights - I just can't imagine 15!  We stopped bringing DD into our bed around 14 or 15 months in case she was waking us just to come sleep with us.  Now I miss those cramped early mornings and snuggling her while she slept!

Good luck @karaelaine1991!

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    @ThePax89 I missed your reply! She's a week shy of 1! My breastfeeding journey was super uneventful too, minus slow milk coming in (but her weight stayed up too!) And a blood blister on one side from a poor latch once (just once! Come on boob-universe-gods, that's just rude). I had tried to slowly wean and see if/when my period came back to get pregnant again but once I cut a feeding a day she all the sudden lost interest and never wanted boob. I was disappointed but knew it was a possibility. Hoping to have another good nurser! 
  • Options
    Wow you ladies are doing a great job!! I am only nursing my 18 month old at night right before bed... But I'm not too sure she's even getting anything. One thing I am worried about for this baby is allergies. My 18 month old daughter was exclusively breast fed and has a dairy/egg/wheat/soy/oat allergy. I thought breast feeding was supposed to cut down on the allergies!! Anyways, I am super excited to nurse this baby, but I am nervous about the allergies again :(
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @acmergo how scary! Did she have those sensitivities to your breastmilk if you ate those things? 
  • Options
    @ThePax89 yes she does... Ended up having to toss a lot that was frozen once we figured it out! It has been an experience for sure!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    How's everyone doing lately? I'm struggling. My milk is definitely going especially now that DD is weaned at night (she's 21 months). It freaking hurts to nurse and I just feel done. But yet I keep going because DD will freak out. I also feel kind of repulsed lately when she nurses. It just feels totally off lately. I don't know how to explain it. 
  • Options
    I haven't nursed in 48 hours, I think we are dunzo. :(

@underthesea how often does she nurse? 
  • Options
    @ThePax89 how are you feeling about that? Has your DD been asking to nurse?

My DD nurses about 5 times a day. 
  • Options
    Lurker here, but @underthesea I've always heard that when you feel off or repulsed about nursing, it's time to stop. Don't feel guilty about freaking out your kid, just do what feels right to you. They won't remember it later anyways.
    Previously PaukMeKiande
    Surprise BFP/MC February 2011 
    BFP May 16th 2016
    EDD January 25 2017
    DD born January 30 2017
    Surprise BFP/MC April 2017
  • Options
    @underthesea she hasn't asked to nurse in 6 or 7 weeks. I have been stupidly offering because I couldn't get her to sleep any other way. I seriously thought I would be breastfeeding this kid til college. I'm so done nursing her. I feel like I should feel bad but I don't :( do you still have milk? I feel for ya, nursing through aversions is awful. Are you hoping she will self wean at this point, or do you think you may have to intervene to get her to stop (if that's what you still want). 
  • Options
    @PaukMeKiande that's interesting. I feel really bad about it. 

@ThePax89 I'm worried about how to get her to sleep too. She nurses to sleep for her nap. I know that's going to be really tough to figure out for us. I also have to switch her to a toddler bed. So did your DD just stop asking before nap? I do still have milk but not a lot. I was hoping she would self wean but that's not going to happen anytime soon. I'm going to have to intervene, but I know she's going to have a fit. 
  • Options
    @underthesea she suddenly became obsessed with the pacifier. We sit down and she asks for it. It's so bizarre. And totally less effective. Our naptime/bedtime fail rate has skyrocketed. We are making the big bed transition soon. I think it will be helpful to lay with her until she falls asleep and then ninja out of there. If you still have milk that could be the reason. Tw: this has been my 3rd pregnancy in 6 months. With each one, my supply dropped, so by the time I hit 6 weeks with this one, the milk was gone. 
  • Options
    My DD just weaned recently and I waiting until she decided she was done. We made it a solid 17 months and I dried up fairly painlessly. 
    I worry about the new baby breastfeeding and DD deciding she needs to as well. However, I had major over supply problems and had to pump and donate excess milk so maybe if it happens again it'd be helpful for DD to nurse again? 
    I'll definitely be trying different nursing bras this time around and probably a different kind of pump. I had a very good nursing relationship with DD and won't stray too much from what I did the first time.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Our Rainbow Baby H arrived at 37 weeks on 12/20/16!
    Baby E arrived at 37 weeks on 01/31/15!
    Married my Marine 05.23.14

*TW*
    TWIN LOSS 7.2.15
    BFP 9.7.15 CP 
    BFP 12.31.15 MC 2.28.16
    BFP 10.14.17 CP
    BFP 3.10.18 D&C 4.13.18
  • Options
    @AshleySparkle720 I'm worried I'll dry up before DD is ready. I think I'm gradually going to wean so it's not so jarring to her. We will see! I'm home with her all day so my boobs are always there. It will be tough. 

Ive had several friends with your same concern. If you want to tandem nurse then I'm sure you'll be able to. But, your LO will probably be ok with a new baby nursing. Maybe she will be interested and want to snuggle as you nurse but enough time will pass between now and then that she may forget or be totally passed the idea of nursing. We will all learn together!
  • Options
    @ThePax89 I'm so sorry for your losses. It's sure been a hard year for you, and your body. 

The the toddler bed transition stresses me out. We start today since she started escaping from her taller crib we put together for her last month. It's not going up be a fun week. 
  • Options
    KMck27KMck27 member

almost 11 months

She is too nosey and easily distracted, I am not producing nearly enough and pumping at work has went from overload to drops....Super depressing

I stopped pumping at work and mostly nurse when with her, but have introduced formula because she is not getting what she needs. I think weaning is pretty muh my only option at this point 

4. Planning on trying any new breastfeeding products this time
    haven't given it much thought. trying to get over the fact that my baby girl won't be the baby too much longer. 

5. What fears do you have breastfeeding a new baby
    I do wonder how nursing the newbie will be while having 2 other Littles running around. Not so much a fear, more like a challenge. Haha

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    @underthesea I think I've resigned myself to the idea of having a kid in my bed forever. She will probably transition from her crib to our room. Also, I don't think your milk will just dry up randomly. It will be gradual. She will know it's happening. She may freaking hate it, but my guess is that if you start trying to wean her, the change will be less gradual because your body will produce less milk 
  • Options
    My baby is officially weaned. She appears to have no memory of the 20 months she spent attached to my boobs. And I tried to hand express after 4 or 5 days of not nursing....bone dry. That kind of makes me sad, not even a drop. I guess it's really over. 
  • Options
    You did such a great job. 20 months is a long time! I understand the sadness. It's such an intimate relationship and I'm sad to end mine soon. Enjoy the next 6 months of boobs to yourself. I'll be joining the party soon... As I'm nursing DD to sleep. Maybe next month. 
  • Options
    @ThePax89 it's so hard not to get emotional about it! When DD weaned I was super bummed that we couldn't just go all the way until the baby was born. I guess she was just ready!

*TW*
    TWIN LOSS 7.2.15
    BFP 9.7.15 CP 
    BFP 12.31.15 MC 2.28.16
    BFP 10.14.17 CP
    BFP 3.10.18 D&C 4.13.18
  • Options
    @underthesea do you pump at all? I pumped about 2 months before weaning so she could still have breastfeeding milk in a sippy cup at meals. It was nice because my supply was still high enough at that point.

*TW*
    TWIN LOSS 7.2.15
    BFP 9.7.15 CP 
    BFP 12.31.15 MC 2.28.16
    BFP 10.14.17 CP
    BFP 3.10.18 D&C 4.13.18
  • Options
    @AshleySparkle720 I don't pump anymore. I quit when she was about 15 months when I stopped getting engorged/ over producing. I wasn't doing it much by then and wasn't getting much. I think I have barely anything left now. It really hurts to nurse and then my boob throbs for the next few hours. This morning I gave her a sippy of almond milk instead of nursing her at wake up for the first time. She wasn't too upset about it. I'm going to try to make it until bedtime without nursing.