September 2015 Moms

Baby hates being constrained

Does anyone else's LO hate being constrained? He doesn't like the carseat, highchair, or sitting still for drinking his bottle. I'm kind of starting to lose it. I envisioned having this attitude with the highchair that if he starts fussing, it'll mean he's done eating, and I'd communicate that to him and everything would be peachy. But he ONLY fusses in the highchair, so there's not much room for communication. 
Should I just like, force him to tough it out in the highchair like we have to do for the carseat? Or should I just stop struggling and reintroduce it later? Any help or just to hear that I'm not alone would be amazing.

Re: Baby hates being constrained

• What are you doing well you put him in the HC. LO gets puffs as soon as he strapped in and that makes him happy. 
    Missed Miscarriage 3/27 D&C 3/29/2012
  • I'm in the same boat, I bribe her with the yogurt melts and toys and ridiculous antics
  • Loading the player...
  • callistosmilecallistosmile member
    edited July 2016
    My kid hated the high chair so we did meals on the floor. He now has a toddler table and chair that I sit with him at and he loves it. He does ok in the car seat but sometimes I have to sit with him in the backseat of its a longer trip. And I've been giving him his bottle on the floor so he can do it himself.

eta we do BLW so he eats real food. 
  • Problems here too.  He doesn't like the car seat, stroller, high chair, being held, bottle time, etc.  He has just started walking and wants to spend ALL his time doing that.  He has no time for anything else, including eating.  It's become quite frustrating!!  
  • @callistosmile interesting! You're talking about your ten month old, right? I'm planning a trip to Ikea soon, maybe I'll check out their toddler tables. We're doing BLW too, and I've just been eating with him on the floor like you guys, but I've been feeling a little anxious about making sure he starts to understand table manners.

@amp61470 I generally hold him while I bring all the food to the table and only put him in the high chair once we're completely ready to tuck in to the food. So, there's not a lot of time for him to sit idle.

Since I posted yesterday I've treated highchair and bedtime as though he's asking me to set boundaries instead of thinking of it as a power struggle. That paradigm shift actually seems to be working. I've let him fuss while I'm right there with him, and after a couple minutes he calms down. We'll see how the rest of the weekend goes.

Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone, ladies! 

• Yup, just turned ten months. We have the Combi go and grow walker/table. Before he could sit up on his own I would put him in the walker with the activity bar off and put a couple pieces of whatever I was eating on the large tray type thing in front of him. He mostly played with it at that point (6-7 months). His eating really took off when he started crawling and sitting up on his own (he was capable of it before, but didn't start getting into a seated position himself until he started crawling at 7.5 months). A few weeks after that he started getting angry in the walker so I turned it into the table and just plopped him in the chair. He learned how to tip himself out of the chair and I'd leave a couple pieces of food on the table and he'd crawl away to do stuff and come back and finish his food a few minutes later. He still does that now, but he's really close to walking and can stand up off of the chair now. 
  • Carseat and being changed are the two things that incite screaming bloody  murder,  here. Highchair is sometimes some initial whining, but it stops when food appears. 
  • For us it's the changing table. Even if I give her toys to keep her distracted. She'll actually start crying if we walk past the damn thing or approach it.
  • Actually, he hates being changed too. We stopped using he changing table probably five months ago. We must have some free-spirited babies!
  • Yup, changing anywhere is a battle. I usually do poopy diapers on the ground with a leg over his arms so he doesn't grab his crotch until I wipe it. And as soon as I do he wiggles over and I have to chase him with the diaper lololol. He loves climbing all over me and everything in his path and he never stops moving. I'm already exhausted lol. 
  • Changing is a big challenge here too! The monkey twists and turns a crawls off naked! He cries when I dress him just hates it. Lately if we aren't going out he is in his diaper only. It's not worth the fight. 
    Missed Miscarriage 3/27 D&C 3/29/2012