November 2016 Moms

Baby wearing???

Ive been on the fence about baby wearing. My main concern is that I live in Florida and I think it's probably too hot, but it just looks so convenient. 

Anyway, my question is... Does anyone recommend an ergonomic carrier over a wrap? Or the other way around? They can both be pretty pricey so I'm just trying to get some opinions before I spend the money. 

Thanks! 

Re: Baby wearing???

• I tried wraps and carriers with DD. She wanted to be held all the time so I thought it would work great for us. She hated it. Did my matter the wrap or carrier. Not sure I'll try it this time around. 

MMC 01/26/12 

MC 12/25/12, D&C 01/05/13

BFP 03/05/13, EDD 11/12/13. HB 175 @ 9w2d. Its a Girl!

<3Madeline Lorraine H. <3 Born 11/12/13 @9:10pm, 7lb6oz

DX with EA/TEF Type C & Tracheomalaysia
    MC @ 13wks 01/15/15 

DX Septate Uterus - surgery recommended

BFP 3/18/16, EDD 11/13/16 It's a boy!
    <3 Clint Kiszonas H. <3 Born 11/21/16 @10:38pm, 9lb11oz

BFP 1/11/18, EDD 9/21/18 
  • atcwagatcwag member
    I made a DIY Moby - way cheaper, no-sew and super easy.  It works well for the itty-bitty stage. I'll also be getting an Ergo this time. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a Moby. It was hot and a pain to put on...and when my son got bigger, it did not support him as well. I got a Baby Bjorn carrier that I liked a lot more. This time around, I got an Ergo because I like the option of back or front wearing and the built in sunshade. For me, babywearing was a lot more handy than a stroller on most occasions.
  • Thanks for the feedback, ladies! 
  • I couldn't have lived with out my Tula.  My daughter is 14 months and I still wear her often.   I wore her startin two weeks after she was born it was great if I needed to vaccine or was doing something with my hands. 
  • I'm also a Floridian and we really like our Lillie baby airflow, it's very breathable.
  • Des321Des321 member
    edited July 2016
    I've read good things about the k'tan, there's no wrapping involved and it can be used for newborns. They have one with a breathable fabric that i believe is called Baby K'tan Active. 
    Edit: actually I think it's called Breeze, not active. Maybe there's both. Baby brain is getting in my way right now!
  • I'm also a Floridian and we really like our Lillie baby airflow, it's very breathable.
    I've looked into those. I've heard they're a lighter material. I may end up just registering for that and hope someone buys it for me lol 
  • I live in AZ and I love our Lillie baby airflow, too! My husband is 6'4 and I am barely 5' and adjusts for both of us. We loved to wear our daughter when she was little, so much easier than a stroller!
  • I definitely prefer wearing babies to strollering them. Mine prefer it too, at least my first two.

For the first 3-4 months I prefer wraps, then I prefer carriers (Ergo, Tula, etc.). The Moby works well and is pretty easy to use. I also have a woven wrap which is nicer than the Moby but was more expensive.

If you're not sure you're going to enjoy carrying baby, I'd check out the Moby and the ktan (and maybe the lillebaby?). Our babies will be tiny during the coldest part of the year when hopefully wearing them is tolerable in FL. Then you can decide later to buy or skip a carrier.
  • ZoeFerZoeFer member
    Thanks for starting this thread ! I am adding Moby for registry but I really want a carrier as well. Does it make sense to register for both ? Also, people who use Ergo which model do you suggest ? I had likes the original first, because it seems more comfortable for newborn with an adapter but if we will use the wrap first few months maybe we can totally skip that and get the Adapt model or 4-position 360 ? Does anyone have experience with these models ?
  • Katemr1146Katemr1146 member
    edited July 2016
    I baby wore in the house all the time, so the outside temp wouldn't matter for that. Sometimes it's the only way to keep a fussy baby calm while you get anything done. I loved my K'tan for the newborn stage and then the Tula or Ergo when they got a little bigger. 

@ZoeFer - I've only every used the original ergo, so that gets my vote. I've heard wearing the baby facing outwards is more uncomfortable for both mom and baby, and harder on your back, so I personally wouldn't spend more for a 360.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've had a Moby, structured backpack carrier, ergo, fitted sling, peanut shell, and ring sling (over the course of 3 kids). I have to say the ergo & ring sling are my favorites. My oldest loved the Moby but I found it too much work with multiple kids. My husband like the structured backpack because it's like a hiking backpack, I think the Ergo would be next. The ring sling is my favorite for running errands. Peanut shell felt like a death trap for the baby, I worried that it was covering his face too much. The fitted sling was okay, but the ring sling us nicer for adjusting to all of babies different sizes.

I don't think they make it anymore but we have an ergo sport, which is supposed to be more breathable. Hard to tell because babies are pretty warm when snuggling against you.
  • Has anyone found a wrap or ring sling they are able to successfully nurse in? I have a Tula, which I love and will use for this LO, but I'm wanting to a get a wrap or a ring sling as well for when she's a newborn and I'm hoping to be able to nurse in it. Right now I'm debating between getting a Solly wrap and a Tula ring sling. Any advice on which one I might have more success with?
  • I had the Bjorn for our daughter but will be getting the Ergo 360 this time for more lower back support. Also getting the Katan wrap this time too. Daughter liked facing out in the carrier better than facing in. They make a mesh Ergo so might not be as hot.
  • aquasocksaquasocks member
    edited July 2016
    I live in southeast Louisiana, so I can sympathize with your concern! I had a Moby and an Ergo Sport. I found the moby great for around the house. It was warmer to wear because of all the fabric, but I could crank up the A/C. The Ergo Sport is breathable and easy to
    adjust between me (5'2) and my husband (6'). I used it in the grocery, Costco, etc. Also for outdoor things like fairs and festivals. At almost 3, my daughter still thinks it's "fun" to ride in the ergo when we walk the dog around the block. I could
    have lived without the moby but my Ergo Sport was worth every penny. 

Edit: I'm sure the regular ergo is not much warmer than the ergo sport. Maybe I have the Ergo Performance? 
    Awesome Kid #1: Born September 2013!
    Awesome Kid #2: Due November 2016!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've ordered material to do a diy wrap. There's a pretty simple tutorial on Pinterest. And then I'll probably invest in a lillebaby carrier. 
  • mrsmoose5 said:
    Has anyone found a wrap or ring sling they are able to successfully nurse in? I have a Tula, which I love and will use for this LO, but I'm wanting to a get a wrap or a ring sling as well for when she's a newborn and I'm hoping to be able to nurse in it. Right now I'm debating between getting a Solly wrap and a Tula ring sling. Any advice on which one I might have more success with?
    You have more options with the ring sling, but I never found mine super comfortable for nursing, but to be honest, I didn't like nursing in a carrier because my breasts were so big and my baby so small for many months. By that time, the Ergo was all around more comfortable and allowed me to discreetly nurse with ease.

Anniversary g
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I used a Boba wrap (similar to Moby, but was told it was a bit more breathable) when my DS was small. I also had a woven wrap, which I still sometimes use with him (he's 15 months). Not everyone likes wraps, but I found them extremely versatile. 
  • Do yall have any suggestions for carriers that can be comfortably be work with a backpack( baby in front, backpack behind)?  Especially for guys? My husband knows he's seen dads around with this set up but we have no idea were to start looking without trying them on.  Or any advice in general about popular baby wearing for dads? 
  • My H wore our babies on his front with the Ergo, and then with backpack on the back.  I've always done it too because I use a backpack diaper bag.  It does mean having double straps on the shoulder, but it definitely works.  We have only had an Ergo, but my husband wore both of our girls and was always comfortable in it. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• My H got mad when we looked at carriers because most don't seem to have any fabric between you and the baby, so the baby just sits against whatever you're wearing. He's like I'm not doing that because I don't want to get peed/pooped on. Of course I'm thinking dude if a big accident happens that tiny extra fabric won't save you.....  When we were looking I think I only remember one, a Chicco, that had that extra barrier but it was one of the "crotch danglers" that I've read to avoid. 
  • kvruns said:
    My H got mad when we looked at carriers because most don't seem to have any fabric between you and the baby, so the baby just sits against whatever you're wearing. He's like I'm not doing that because I don't want to get peed/pooped on. Of course I'm thinking dude if a big accident happens that tiny extra fabric won't save you.....  When we were looking I think I only remember one, a Chicco, that had that extra barrier but it was one of the "crotch danglers" that I've read to avoid. 
    I wore my daughter all the time in many different carriers and that was never an issue :)

However, for big ole explosions, like you said, fabric won't save you! Just keep an extra shirt of his in the car to ease his worry. 

Anniversary g

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I loved my Baby K'tan with my first son! I do believe they make a mesh style one for hotter temps.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Memly1 said:
    Do yall have any suggestions for carriers that can be comfortably be work with a backpack( baby in front, backpack behind)?  Especially for guys? My husband knows he's seen dads around with this set up but we have no idea were to start looking without trying them on.  Or any advice in general about popular baby wearing for dads? 
    @Memly1 I do this all the time since I want to have my hands free, usually to hold my other child's hand. I've had no problems with an Ergo, Tula, or Onya (all soft structured carriers) worn on the front and a backpack on my back. Now that DS is nearly 2, his hair is starting to tickle my face since he's getting much bigger, but that wouldn't be a concern for a long time with a new baby.

My DH wears the kids nearly as often as me, though he prefers having the kid on his back (and making me carry the backpack...).