TTC after 35

Intro: TTC #2 at 38 + OPK without temping?

Hi everyone!

I started my Bump career in TTC>35 some three years ago and now have a 13-month old old conceived with a lot of help from TTC>35 friends who taught me all about temping, charting and OPKs. I'll be turning 38 in October and think I'll be ready to start trying by the end of this summer. In the meantime, I'm wondering if I should still temp or if I can safely use OPKs on my most likely to be fertile days, since my cycle seems to have gone back to normal.

So other than saying hello and that I really look forward to meeting you all, I'd be curious to hear if anyone has been successful using just OPKs, say for 10 days in the middle of the cycle, or if I really should be temping too.

Thanks a lot!

Re: Intro: TTC #2 at 38 + OPK without temping?

• Hi, Welcome! How exciting to start ttc #2! I think generally, it is considered "safest" to temp along with OPK's to confirm O date. This is what I did when TTC #1. For #2 I felt, like you, that my cycles we similar to befor so we tried around the same time of the month and were successful the second cycle. This time, I started OPK's last month and doing the same this month. Temping doesn't make much sense for me because I wake up several times a night. So, all that to say...do what you are comfortable with...you can always change strategy a cycle of
    Pregnancy Ticker

DD- 9
    DS-6
    c/p- April 2016
    missed m/c- 6w5d; discovered 8w2d- September 2016

• Hello and welcome!  Wishing you lots of luck!
    Me: 41
    Husband: 40
    TTC#1 since 9/2014
    Unexplained Infertility - Trying naturally
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks @jennh75b and @KT&John! Decided to use only OPKs and will start testing three days from now at DPO 10 (my cycle is around 27 days). Will keep track on this thread of (any) progress... I'm also going to use expired OPKs for now, since we're not yet trying.
  • marijaa333marijaa333 member
    edited July 2016
    So i got new Wondfos and have been using them for the past five days, CD 9 through 14. I got a darkening pattern leading to what I think was a faint positive yesterday, and then two very faint results (negatives) today. This make sense given my cycle, however, without temping, I really have no way of confirming, since it wasn't a 100% positive like it was when we were trying for #1.  I'm definitely drinking more fluids these days because I'm still nursing, so my theory is that my urine isn't as concentrated as it used to be. This is my third cycle since my son was born and I went back to the same cycle length I had before (26-27 days, with a 12-13 day luteal phase).  I guess I better go back to temping too...

Update July 25: Got what seems to be ovulation spotting today, so I think the wondfos were indeed not picking up the surge very clearly.