Working Moms
Options

go back to work early or not?

Hi All,

I am not a frequent poster. But I am looking for a bit of unbiased advice on my situation. I am in Canada so we get a year of maternity leave benefits from the gov't - which for my family has been savings for education, and retirement. We live off of my husbands income, always have. My income is savings, holiday money, mortgage downpayments, or big purchases that require a lump some. My son is 6 months old and I was not planning on going back to work until next year when he turns one. HOWEVER, I have been pursued by a large Medical Device sales company and have made it down to one of the final applicants.

I am so torn, I would be going back when my son is about 9 months old. And I know all you American Moms do this and do it very well, I just feel silly giving up this time with him when it has been given to me. Its not like my family absolutely needs the money. And on the Pro side, it is a great job, I would be making more money than I ever have, its long term or could be a great stepping stone for moving up it I wanted, the hours are semi- flexible as its a work from home position, the position I held before I had my son was only a contract and the contract has ended, so I would be looking for a job next Feb anyway.  the Con side - going back to work early, some training that requires me to be away for a week at a time for the next few months, need a nanny, my husband has a very demanding career and the bulk of the family responsibilities fall on my shoulders (I also have a 3 yo) and I am concerned about the balance or lack of if I go back to work.

If anyone has been in a similar position, or has some advice for me I would appreciate it. I have been thinking about this non-stop for the last few weeks. 

Re: go back to work early or not?

• Options
    To be honest, my post will be heavily biased since I had to go back to work at 10 weeks PP.  If you take it, you will have had a wonderful amount of time with your LO - 9 months! I'd be thrilled if I had that option. The gig sounds pretty awesome actually - more $, work from home, and flexible! Those are hard to come by. I understand the cons make things tough though. My H had a very demanding job until very recently so I was doing all the daycare drop off/pick up/childcare for awhile. It's hard, but it is doable. However, at the end of the day, it is such a personal decision. Could you try it out for a few months and then make a final decision? You could always quit, right?
  • Options
    4N6s4N6s member
    I would go back too. :) It sounds like a great opportunity. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
     9 months is pretty close to a full year anyway. I don't think going back a little earlier would make or break the situation.