September 2015 Moms

First dentist appointment?

Just curious when everyone plans to take LO to the dentist for the first time? My son currently has 6 complete teeth with 2 that just came through the gums in the last few days. A friend just took her 1 year old to the dentist, he has 2 or 3 teeth but they're not fully erupted yet. I'm just wondering what's the norm for this? I didn't have any plans to take LO to the dentist for a while. I figure 1 and 1/2 but maybe I'm wrong?

Re: First dentist appointment?

• Our pediatric dentist (for my older kids) said to bring Ronen in after his 1st birthday so they could check his gums/teeth.  Your plan for 1 1/2 sounds good to me! 
  • I worked as a dental assistant prior to becoming a SAHM and our dentist always said whenever they have teeth! It's more parent education at this age and of course checking to make sure there are no cavities. Unfortunately I have seen cavities on little ones as young as 1. 
  • Loading the player...
  • My daughters dentist reccomends 6 months with or with out teeth to check gums. But i didnt take DD until she was 1 & plan to do the same with the boys.

@leeeahyo i believe it! My husbands best friend has twins as well & him & his wife give them soda in their bottle & they barely turned 1 on Monday. Its crazy.
  • leeeahyo said:
    I worked as a dental assistant prior to becoming a SAHM and our dentist always said whenever they have teeth! It's more parent education at this age and of course checking to make sure there are no cavities. Unfortunately I have seen cavities on little ones as young as 1. 
    Oooh my god. That's awful. :( I'll get him in to the dentist sooner than. Can't hurt.
  • I spoke with my hygienist and she told me to brush when she gets teeth. I don't need to take her into the dentist until 2. That was their recommendation.
  • vibarra27 said:
    My daughters dentist reccomends 6 months with or with out teeth to check gums. But i didnt take DD until she was 1 & plan to do the same with the boys.

@leeeahyo i believe it! My husbands best friend has twins as well & him & his wife give them soda in their bottle & they barely turned 1 on Monday. Its crazy.
    Omg what kind of a parent would give a baby soda?!?! That's just awful. :0
  • @Growingapepper i know right! I was like wtf?? But then their 4 year old had 2 teeth removed @ the age of 2 from bad cavities. So i guess i shouldnt be too surprised, but damn!
  • Our dentist recommends we come in at 6 months (we didn't though). He even does a free visit at 6 months in hopes of encouraging parents to come in at least for the education. Per his recommendation we also started "brushing" at like 3 months because we wanted baby to get used to the feeling and the routine (he actually loved it because he got a nice little massage every night on those poor achy gums).

**TW**
    Me & DH: 32
    Married 2013
    Kiddo #1: Sept 2015
    BFP: 1/19, EDD: 9/30

"I'm having fruit salad for dinner. Well, it's mostly just grapes, actually. Ok all grapes. Fermented grapes. Fine, I'm having wine for dinner."
  • Our pediatrician actually painted fluoride on my LO's teeth at his 9 month check up (only 2 teeth).  He told us that we need to start brushing his teeth twice a day with toothpaste with fluoride.  He said that new research is showing that poor oral health is leading to more and more other health problems.
  • vibarra27 said:
    My daughters dentist reccomends 6 months with or with out teeth to check gums. But i didnt take DD until she was 1 & plan to do the same with the boys.

Omg what kind of a parent would give a baby soda?!?! That's just awful. :0
    My SIL is one of them....we don't parent the same at ALL...
  • keggenkeggen member
    My dentist office recommended bringing LO in to one of our cleaning appointments around one year of age.  A chance to talk more about dental care with us and build familiarity with going to the dentist.
  • My dentist starts at age 3
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have an appointment for myself coming up and I plan on asking them, I'll try to remember to post what they say 
  • My dentist also starts at 3 years old. It may be an insurance issue, or just their standard practice. As long as you brush their teeth & keep them away from an abundance of sugary things (I can't even fathom giving a baby or toddler soda), there shouldn't be a need for them to see a dentist before getting all of their baby teeth.