May 2016 Moms
Options

Baby Instruction Manual

OK, so I know there is that saying that "babies don't come with manuals" but I'm looking for one anyway, lol.

Anyone know of an ap or easy chart or guide that tells me what sort of things I should be doing with her or introducing to her at certain points? Like when to introduce her to food, and what to start with. Or when to try certain kinds of stimulation/toys with her. Things like that.

I'm hoping "there's an ap for that" trumps the first saying! ;)

Re: Baby Instruction Manual

• Options
    The Bump app continues to have updates on development as well as Ovia. The thing is, babies are all developmentally different so there is no perfect timeline, and there are different recommendations depending on who you ask. There are a lot of charts depending on what you're looking for on blogs and Pinterest, but again, they may vary because not all sources agree. I recommend getting a book whose parenting philosophy you agree with and go with that. I personally read "The Baby Book" by Dr. Sears, and it's very attachment parenting based. Not everyone likes that. You just need to see what's out there and do what's best for you.

For instance, the AAP, WHO, and other organizations say food shouldn't be introduced until 6 months, but a lot of pediatricians are still recommending starting earlier. You have to do your research on this stuff to figure out what you think is best. Not easy, but, to me, important!

As far as certain toys, I think that's trial and error. I tried toys with DS and if he didn't seem interested I would wait and try again later. There is a wide range of normal, which is why what you are looking for isn't really possible. It's not an exact science!
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    I know it's not exact. I was hoping for some kind of loose guideline, though. Maybe an ap that would send notifications of "you may want to try this soon." And maybe even keep track of when she actually does them. If they have books on it, you would think they would have aps for it...

I really like the Wonder Weeks ap.

I just don't have the time or energy to read those big books. I'd fall asleep first! I was so into pregnancy materials while pregnant and thought I would read baby stuff now. Yeah right.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hi, I use an app called baby sparks and it gives guidelines on different activities to play with your baby to encourage different developments. I'm not sure if there is a free version but I paid 7.99, which isn't too bad. Basically it lays out different activities to do with your baby each day and tracks your baby's progress. 
  • Options
    Some areas have Parents as Teachers programs, where someone will come to your house monthly during the school year to make recommendations and discuss milestones. Check out your local school district to see if they offer this or something like it!
  • Options
    I get weekly emails from Babycenter and it's about your child at their age that week. I've been getting them for DD#1 for the last 8 years, now for DD#2. It's not too informative but I like reading them. Gives you a glimpse of what you should be expecting to go through.