February 2017 Moms

Save this for Tuesday?

Wasnt sure where to post this one. I apologize if it belongs somewhere else I'm unaware of. Anyway, I did mention this in the 'pregnant after having a disabled child' thread as well as my 'false positive' post, but those both seemed to fade away without a response so here we go. 

At 9 weeks, I went in and we couldn't hear the heartbeat when my doc used the Doppler on me. She said please don't worry, you're fine, it's still early, etc. but I still couldn't help but feel upset. I also feel like a damn fool because I can't even remember when I first heard the heartbeat with my first two kids. Anyway, I go back on August 4th (was supposed to be 3rd but now changed to 4th) so she can check again and if we don't hear it then I'll get an ultrasound so we could (hopefully) at least see it. I've had zero blood work done so far so no clue about HCG levels either. They said it wasn't necessary.

They don't even want to do an ultrasound until 20 weeks anyway unless we can't hear the heartbeat again August 4th. I will be just shy of 13 weeks at that point. Different doc than my last 2, but I guess they do things the same. I only got one ultrasound with each kid, the A/S at the midway point. 

I have no reason to believe I'm not pregnant anymore and also know there are multiple reasons why the heartbeat might not have been picked up by the Doppler which could easily apply to me, but I'm still nervous because I know anything could happen to anyone at anytime. So, a "friend" (who I rarely talk to thankfully, the husbands are closer friends than her and I) texted me the other day to see how things were going and when she asked about the pregnancy I told her what I just stated above. So she says "OMG you need to get a second opinion immediately. Something is seriously wrong. That just seems odd to me. Sorry to scare you, but that isn't right. You should be able to hear the heartbeat at that point no matter what. I'm so sorry for you." WTF? 

Guess im hoping you guys will say she's being an alarmist TW. Looking for reassurance. Or is there actually any truth to what she said? I've been stressing the fuck out over this even though I know I probably shouldn't, but that sure as shit didn't help.

Re: Save this for Tuesday?

• edited July 2016
    9 weeks is still very early to hear a heartbeat on a doppler, so I think your friend is overreacting. The general rule is, if the Dr. isn't worried, try not to worry yourself.

Edit: grammar matters.
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • First, I'm sorry that you're dealing with this.

Second, I'm not sure if there is a standard practice across all OBs but at my first appointment (I was a little over 8 weeks), we did blood work and it was the same when I was pg with DS.  It does seem odd that at that point, there wasn't blood work but I'm not sure if that's the norm.

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker   
  • Loading the player...
  • scifichick09scifichick09 member
    edited July 2016

I agree with PP that 9 weeks is still early to hear the heartbeat. Your "friend" may be overreacting.

I do find it strange though about the blood work. I'm not sure if it's standard practice everywhere, but when I went in at 8 weeks they did a transvaginal ultrasound to see the heartbeat and did blood work.

ME: 25, DH: 27

TTC #1 since 09/2015

Miscarriage @ 10 wks 02/28/2016

BFP 05/28/2016!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • They haven't done any blood work at all to confirm hormone levels and such? 

Where are you?
  • My OB won't even try to find the HB until 12 weeks. 
    That being said, their standard is bloodwork and a U/S at 8 weeks. 
    Your friend is an idiot. 
  • I didn't get blood work done when I was pregnant with my daughter and they also wouldn't even try with the Doppler until 11 weeks. I also didn't have an ultrasound until the anatomy scan last time. Every practice runs differently. Don't let your friend make you nervous! 
  • Your friend was certainly not helpful in this situation because instead of being compassionate, she just became obnoxiously alarming. That being said, I feel like you should have an U/S and blood work at 8 weeks (if they have a transvaginal ultrasound at your facility), then usually they do another u/s at the end of the first trimester, 12-13 weeks. Not only blood work for hcg but also for iron and such too. Waiting until 20 weeks seems a little too far along to me for an u/s. Maybe try calling your insurance company to see what they cover and then call your doctor's office back and ask them to just do it or see if another office will? Regardless of what anyone here tells you about it being normal or not normal, I feel like the reassurance will come and anxiety will reduce only once you get an ultrasound. We couldn't find my baby's heartbeat on a doppler until 11 weeks 4 days except for on the transvaginal u/s machine.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • jab3-2jab3-2 member
    PerraSucia I'm in MA. Currently living right outside of Boston, but we were in Worcester which is where this doctor is located (Umass memorial medical center.) With my first 2, still in MA, but further north in a little town not a major city. I'm going to be switching docs anyway, but not until after this next appointment. I trust this current one though, but just felt nervous not hearing it and especially since there was no blood work done. Seems like most everyone else on here did have the transvaginal ultrasound plus bloodwork so I don't know what to think. 

Gingersnap, that does make me feel better, thanks. My doc did say right after we should have just waited til I was around 12 weeks because she didn't want me to be stressed over it. Too late for that I guess. 
  • My OB doesn't use the Doppler until 10 weeks because before that it can be hit or miss and will worry people who have nothing to worry about. My doctor didn't do any blood work related to HCG levels which scared me but at 7 weeks I did have the blood work where they check for thyroid and other hormone levels, iron, STDs, HIV, and blood type. 

I'm sorry your "friend" was such a jerk but I wouldn't rush out to get a second opinion however I would ask about the blood work at your next appointment.
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• MommaBeanMommaBean member
    edited July 2016
    I'm 10w with baby #2 and I've never had hCG levels tested. I just had blood drawn today (first time this preg) for CF, all the NT stuff, and I don't know what else. If you're doing NT testing, you'll have an u/s around 12w. Did your doctor offer that screening to you?

re: the doppler, as PPS have said, 9w is very early and I don't think it's a cause for concern. It sucks that she tried and left you in this situation! Chances are very good that everything is fine :)

edit: posted before I finished 
  • My Dr and midwife are both quite conservative in their treatments and I think they would do an US at every appt if insurance/patients would pay for it.  At 6 weeks they did a T/V US and bloodwork, but looking at my EOB from the insurance, I don't think all the bloodwork was actually necessary as only 2-3 of the 15 or so lab related charges were covered.  Other than iron levels, I don't even know what all they were testing for because that's the only thing they mentioned.

Think about a tiny fish in a water balloon.  Then imagine covering the balloon with a few layers of blankets and trying to find it with something similar to the doppler.  It's hard at best and impossible at worst.  I definitely wouldn't let it bother me.

• I'm 12 weeks today. My doc tried earlier this week at 11.5 weeks to hear the HB on fetal Doppler. She couldn't find it. Because it gave me anxiety she did a quick ultrasound. Picture was bad because I had already given a urine sample. But we saw the baby moving around. My doc said it was early to hear the HB on the Doppler and the uterus was still behind the pelvic bone. No need to worry. Many OBs have different schedules for pregnancy. If you aren't comfortable with your doc, find another that makes you feel comfortable.
  • jab3-2jab3-2 member
    MommaBean, she did offer me the screening, but I declined it. I didn't even think about that. Thank you to all of you who responded. It's reassuring and helpful to me and just makes it a little easier to get through the next two weeks. I like the way you described it silvercamaro77. 
  • jab3-2jab3-2 member
    "Your friend was certainly not helpful in this situation because instead of being compassionate, she just became obnoxiously alarming." Teachermom2517, yup this pretty much sums up how I feel about it. I'm sorry I didn't even see your post earlier. I skipped right by it I think because I was trying to respond to another one. Thanks for the reassurance and suggestions on what to request from them going forward. 
  • With my son, at 12 weeks, before my midwife put the Doppler on my belly she warned me that it was still early to hear a heartbeat on the Doppler so we may not hear it. So 9 weeks is definitely early. I found my baby's heartbeat at 9 weeks, but i searched for a long time and even then it was really faint. 
    As far as blood work and early ultrasound go, my doctor won't even see me for an initial appointment until 12 weeks. So I really don't think hcg levels are necessary. They are nice really really early (I went to a different doc with my first and had it drawn a few times at 4 weeks) to make sure it's doubling. But to be honest, a month after my miscarriage at 12 weeks I still had positive pee tests. Once you get far enough along, the hcg doesn't just go away all of a sudden to indicate miscarriage. It takes time. I don't know if that helps at all. But I wouldn't be worried about it. 
  • Has your friend ever been pregnant? If so surely she knows that making a comment like that won't do anything except provoke unwarranted worry. Anyways, all OB offices run different, but I second all the previous posts. If your doctor isn't worried, I wouldn't either. Also, from what I have read (I could be wrong) I think handheld dopplers aren't as strong as ultrasounds so they take longer to pick up the heartbeat. Also keep in mind that a Doppler is not intrauterine so it's not as close to that small baby as an IU U/S is. I would say try your best to not worry although I know that's easier said than done. 
  • jab3-2jab3-2 member
    Rmpiszczek, thank you for telling me that because it really gives me a whole different perspective on this. I'm also sorry you went through what you did, but glad you were able to already hear the heartbeat this time around and hope things continue to go well for you from this point forward. 

MrsDrKirkpatrick, she's had 3 kids! That's why I was surprised by her reaction. Thanks for your reassurance. I really am just trying not to worry (Definetly easier said than done) about it by telling myself the 4th will be here before I know it and I can finally find out then if everything is fine.