March 2017 Moms
Options

Road Trip at 11wks...good idea, bad idea?

**loss mentioned**

Hey all,
Hubby and I are planning a vacation in August the week if our anniversary and previous due date. It's going to be a hard week for me and I'll be around 11wks (previous loss was at 12) so I'm sure I'll need a get away. We were planning to go to the great lakes for several days. It is about a 5hr drive for us to get there but I'm worried now if that's a good idea, I have no idea how I'll feel physically by then. We've done the trip many times so I'm used to long car rides, but never pregnant.

Has anyone been trapped in a car that long around 11 wks? Should we keep it more local? We have another idea which would only be a couple hours away...

Re: Road Trip at 11wks...good idea, bad idea?

• Options
    kjd291kjd291 member
    edited July 2016
    I say GREAT Idea!  GO!! distraction is the best thing when you're feeling sick. And, I find when we drive longer distances with morning sickness I'm fine as long as I'm the one driving. 
  • Options
    Definitely go!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sounds like a lot of fun!  You can pack snacks and stop along the way if you need to, but it sounds like a great getaway :)
    Me (37) Hubby (39) Married since 4.2009
    EP:  2.17.2016
    DS:  3.4.2017

Pregnancy TickerDD: due 7.16.2019

• Options
    Jen524Jen524 member
    Definitely go!  Just make sure you have plenty of snacks and that you stop every few hours to stretch.  I traveled 7-8 hours multiple times during my other pregnancies and everything was fine.  The further along you get, the more uncomfortable, but it is do-able and you can stop if you need to.
    BFP #1 7/1/2009 ~ EDD 3/9/2010 ~ Ella Adeline (7lbs 4 oz, 19.5 inches) 3/5/2010 csection (39w3d)
    BFP #2 7/13/2011 ~ EDD 3/16/2012 ~Aubree Olivia (9lbs 1oz, 21 inches) 3/15/2012 VBAC (39w6d)
    BFP #3 5/15/2014 ~ EDD 1/16/2015~Addison Isabelle (9lbs, 0oz, 21 inches) 1/25/2015 2VBAC (41w2d)
    BFP #4 7/20/2016 ~ EDD 3/25/2017 ~ Malachi Mathew (10lbs 0oz, 22 inches) 4/4/2017 emergency csection (41w3d)

• Options
    I'd go.  You'd be so disappointed if you cancel and then are sitting home feeling fine.  Like other's said, stop to stretch, bring snacks, perhaps a barf bag....

** December BMB Siggy Challenge - Animals in Pools **

Me: 31+ H: 32
    TTC Since 11/2015
    #1 - MMC 6.5 weeks (2/16); #2 - MC due to cystic hygroma at 20 weeks (10/16); #3 CP (2/17); #4 - Due 12.16.17
  • Options
    You should go. I recently did a mini trip to Vegas (4 HR drive for me). Hubby drove, we had snacks, it was fun. We actually won money so I'll be going back again soon to pick it up and I'm 8 wks now. 
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I'm driving 18 hours each way next week on a road trip (a baby and dog included), just bring some bags so I don't throw up in the car! 

eta: ate my post 
  • Options
    I'm 8 weeks (with mild nausea) and just did 11 hours one way and doing 11 hours back today without A/C (a rabbit took out our condenser on the way in, go figure). It's not as bad as you might think. Go for it, especially if it's a much-needed escape!
    March 2017 September Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fall Things

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    chrstna618chrstna618 member
    edited July 2016
    Thanks everyone! We booked our hotel for 5 days at the Indiana dunes, enough to keep busy but not a packed schedule... May just spend my days on lake Michigan :)

But the hotel has free cancellation... just in case ;)
  • Options
    mrsncmrsnc member
    Awesome, glad you're going! I hope you have a wonderful time! And if necessary, just know you will not be the first pregnant woman to throw up on the side of a road. I got your back on that one!