January 2016 Moms

Night diapering

Ok ladies, I am struggling with diapering LO over night. Apparently he is a VERY well hydrated kid. 3 times this week alone he has peed through his 12 hour Pampers by 2:30am and wakes up crying because his onesie is soaked, then I have to nurse his upset wee butt back to sleep. We are already in size 3 and he would swim in 4s. His wee is pointed down as it should be and his ruffles around his legs are properly fluffed out.. Overnight diapers are not really a thing where we are, so anyone have any ideas? Are there any other tricks I'm missing?!

Also, we have stuck to Pampers as other brands tend to give him a wicked diaper rash.

Re: Night diapering

• carlyhammondcarlyhammond member
    edited July 2016
    Have you thought about going up a size? My LO is in a size 5 ( poor dude has some thick thighs) 1. He looks comfortable 2. He hasn't had any wet outfits in a very long time. I noticed that when I had more wet outfits than dry it was time to change sizes. 
    Im a pampers lover I'm also still using the swaddlers, my mom bought cruisers once and I was so not happy. 
    Try another size and see if that helps? 
  • l4rkl4rk member
    Is he feeding a lot at night? For awhile, my LO was leaking through diapers and was nursing every hour at night. Now we only nurse twice a night and no more leaks!
  • Loading the player...
  • Try pampers swaddlers instead of the dry baby ones ... seems weird but I it seems like swaddlers hold more.
  • @carlyhammond He would swim in a size up unfortunately :( He is a tall kiddo, but a little skinny and the security tapes already overlap quite a bit on 3s. 

@l4rk He eats a regular amount at 6, then a dream feed at 10, and he's pretty dry at 10. Once about 2:30 rolls around he's sopping wet and hungry again... Usually he sleeps through until 5:30, so I think we are going through a bit of a growth spurt. I'm hoping it passes soon, it exhausting!

@Superherosmom I have tried the swaddlers and he pees through just as quick unfortunately.

Good news! I found a random brand of super absorbent diapers with an extra absorbency strip! Crossing my fingers that these work cause mommy needs some sleep!
  • We are having this problem too, with the Baby Dry. I don't know how the 3's will fit but I'm starting him on the 3's tonight. The last 3 nights he's soaked through a 2 and woke up all wet. 

If that brand works for you, let us know.  If the 3's end up not being good yet due to sizing, I'll be in the same boat as you. 
  • Pampers swaddlers have worked well for us. When he's even close to moving up a size, we put him the the larger size at night. Luvs has worked well, too. 
    Me: 31 DH: 40
    Married 2012
    TTC #2 since July 2016
    PCOS diagnosed 2008
  • I've double diapered a few times..that seems to hold up good. My sister doubled up on both her kids
  • l4rkl4rk member
    edited July 2016
    Z'smommy said:
    I've double diapered a few times..that seems to hold up good. My sister doubled up on both her kids
    We cloth diaper but were using disposables at night when she had a bad rash. When my LO started leaking through the disposables, we actually put a cloth diaper and cover over a disposable. Seemed a bit silly but it worked to stop the leaks! We can get a much better fit with the cloth.
  • l4rk said:
    Z'smommy said:
    I've double diapered a few times..that seems to hold up good. My sister doubled up on both her kids
    We cloth diaper but were using disposables at night when she had a bad rash. When my LO started leaking through the disposables, we actually put a cloth diaper and cover over a disposable. Seemed a bit silly but it worked to stop the leaks! We can get a much better fit with the cloth.
    I hadn't thought of doubling up, but I may try sticking a cloth diaper over the disposable. Maybe I might try a cloth insert in a disposable so it has more time to absorb. Hmmmm, this is proving an interesting problem. 
  • Lurking from Feb16... I'd just deal with waking up and changing it. Leaving my baby in a full, wet diaper covered up by another partially full, wet diaper just really doesn't sit well with me. I wouldn't to sleep like that, so why would my child? 
    Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy

• l4rkl4rk member
    Lurking from Feb16... I'd just deal with waking up and changing it. Leaving my baby in a full, wet diaper covered up by another partially full, wet diaper just really doesn't sit well with me. I wouldn't to sleep like that, so why would my child? 
    I understand and somewhat agree, but offer two counterpoints:

1. Full and leaky aren't necessarily the same. My LO is so squirmy that half the time the disposables get all bunched up and don't cover her anymore. Sometimes she can be changed an hour before and would leak at the next pee. In the day, whatever. At night, uggghhh....

2. Sometimes, for some people, sleep is more important. Having a clean diaper isn't worth it if mom is about to have a legit mental breakdown from lack of sleep... 
  • Also a February 16 lurker -- my baby is a big night pee-er (no clue if that's a word lol you know what I mean ) we would wake up to wet jammies sleep sack and sometimes sheets . I am a big pampers person -- particularly swaddlers but we tried a pack of Huggies  over nights and we haven't had a leak since !! She still wears her pampers during the day and at nap just an overnight at bed time . She is 17 lbs and wears a size 3 in both the Huggies and the pampers 
  • We cd as well and had leak issues too. We use BG AIO and add a hemp doubler under both of the sewn in absorbent flaps. It's worked great so far and we've only had a few breakthrough leaks which is much better than every night! Lol It's important for the hemp to be away from lo's skin because while it is very absorbent, it's slow to soak up pee. @l4rk
  • l4rk said:
    Lurking from Feb16... I'd just deal with waking up and changing it. Leaving my baby in a full, wet diaper covered up by another partially full, wet diaper just really doesn't sit well with me. I wouldn't to sleep like that, so why would my child? 

1. Full and leaky aren't necessarily the same. My LO is so squirmy that half the time the disposables get all bunched up and don't cover her anymore. Sometimes she can be changed an hour before and would leak at the next pee. In the day, whatever. At night, uggghhh....

2. Sometimes, for some people, sleep is more important. Having a clean diaper isn't worth it if mom is about to have a legit mental breakdown from lack of sleep... 
    I fully agree with number 2. The sleep is worth it! Also, LO will sleep through a very full diaper and it doesn't seem to bother him at all. He also doesn't get rashes from full diapers, and I make sure to air him out regularly.

@mrsc12414 unfortunately we don't have Huggies overnights where I live. Also regular Huggies give him a rash :(
  • l4rk said:

To each their own I guess. I'd rather be tired from waking up once a night than make my baby sleep in two diapers. I think that's gross.
    Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy

• @jadkins2 Thanks! These are next on my list for solutions!

*Update* We haven't had a pee leak in 2 nights now, so my random grocery store brand of diapers seems to be doing the trick. 
  • l4rk said:

To each their own I guess. I'd rather be tired from waking up once a night than make my baby sleep in two diapers. I think that's gross.
    Maybe it's just mine but a diaper change in the middle of the night leads to a very awake baby. When he was eating every 3 hours around the clock a diaper change in the middle of the night wasn't a big deal. Now a diaper change in the middle of the night would lead to him squealing and calling his pterodactyls (even with keeping the lights off). 
    Me: 31 DH: 40
    Married 2012
    TTC #2 since July 2016
    PCOS diagnosed 2008
  • bmmimsbmmims member
    We CD but use a disposable at night because LO is a heavy wetter, I just haven't found the right combo for an overnight CD BUT we have found (surprisingly) that the Luvs disposables keep him from leaking at night.  Pampers/Huggies he would always leak through.
  • jadkins2 said:

Lurker Feb'16. We used these diaper booster pads with our first born daughter. We got them from babies-r -us online. They are not sold in the store and are relatively inexpensive. They work great and have had no more leaks! Our pediatrician suggested them because our first  little girl had a labial adhesion causing her to pee straight out, soaking her clothes and making her diaper fill up at the top and not at the bottom like it should. We battled having to change her clothes and when we changed her diaper in the middle of the night it would wake her up completely and we couldn't get her to go back to sleep for 2 hours or more. I tried every diaper out there, even went up two sizes thinking it would help including the night diapers. Nothing worked as good as these.  So the pediatrician suggested these and not ever changing her diaper at night (unless it's poop or course). I hope this helps!

These have worked AMAZINGLY for us.  Thank you for posting!
  • Whenever our LO would have leaks, we would put her in the next size diaper at night time and use the remaining smaller size diapers during the day when we were able to change her more frequently.  It seems as thought when she barely makes it to the minimum weight on the next size diaper is when the leaks start again.  DH hates it because the diapers are big on her but she sleeps through the night so I'll take it!