October 2015 Moms

Sitting up alone

so my daughter is going to be 8 months old next week. She can sit up alone when we place her in the sitting position and she is starting to crawl! But I'm wondering, how do babies learn to go from laying on the floor to sitting all by themselves? She isn't being able get there alone yet. I'm wondering if there is anything I could be doing to help encourage or help get her there faster. 

Re: Sitting up alone

• I was so scared of my daughter sitting up because I didn't want her falling and hitting her head (FTM anxiety here) so I wouldn't sit her up on her own at all. I really didn't do anything to help her practice besides the usual lounging on her boppy to eat. 

Then she just did it on her own. She would slowly creep back from her tummy to a sitting position and just got better and better at it. Like literally one day she was playing on the floor and I look over and she was sitting. This was after she started crawling. 

I didn't even know babies could get into a sitting position from their tummy lol 
  • Same with my LO. He'll sit if I place him or if he's standing he's fallen to a sit but he's never gotten to a sit from his belly before. He will eventually. I have a friend whose daughter turned one in May and she only put herself in a sit right at one. 
  • Loading the player...
  • My daughter just started sitting up on her own, but shell only do it in her crib. Shes been crawling for a while and is now starting to pull herself up. 
    Hell do it when he finds a need :) 
  • Yea it's common to go from the crawling position and they will sit back on their thighs and bum. It will happen as she gets mor comfortable and balance. 
  • carmv01carmv01 member
    edited June 2016
    My son just figured out how to do it on his own a few weeks back. He was obsessed with it for a few days and finally got it. It was cute. 
  • tvistetviste member
    My daughter was crawling before she would sit up on her own. The first couple times she did it were 100% fluke. No she does it all the time. It will come with time. There are some youtube videos that show you how to teach them to sit up by themselves too. 
  • carmv01 said:
    My son just figured out how to do it on his own a few weeks back. He was obsessed with it for a few days and finally got it. It was cute. 
    This is precious! My daughter heard him cheer and laughed!