September 2016 Moms
Options

Tdap vaccine reactions

ajs1887ajs1887 member
edited July 2016 in September 2016 Moms
Has anyone else had their Tdap shot yet, and if so did you get a fever and aches in the first 24 hours? If so did you get past it or need medical attention? I never seem to fair well with any kind of shots.

Re: Tdap vaccine reactions

• Options
    I got it and just had a sore arm for a few days
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    My arm was quite sore the day after and was still sore for about 3 days but nothing else.
    Did you get a bad reaction?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    When I had my regularly scheduled tdap several years ago, I had that same reaction.  Slight fever, aches, etc and was told that it's not as common, but still totally normal.  When I had the tdap my last pregnancy, I only got the sore arm.  

As always with pregnancy though, if you are worried about it, it's always worth a call in to your doctor just to reassure yourself.
  • Options
    This time (3rd booster in ~ 5 years), my arm was sore for three days.

5 years ago when I got the booster for my first pregnancy, I had a worse reaction. My legs ached, actually my whole body felt sore and I had a fever for one night. I took some Tylenol and it kind of just resolved on its own.

Never feel bad about calling your doc. Might be good to get some reassurance from them. Feel better!
    bfp: 09.22.10   m/c 11.05.10 @ 10w5d
    bfp: 10.02.12  m/c 11.05.12 @ 9w3d
    bfp: 05.15.15  m/c 06.25.15 @ 9w6d
    bfp: 09.22.15  m/c 10.20.15 @ 8w1d

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options

My husband and I got ours on the same day and our only reaction was sore arms. His was sore for a few days, mine lasted for over a week. He said its because he "worked his arm out".  He would do swim motions and other exercises with the arm and he thinks that made is arm feel less sore faster. Not sure if there is any truth to that.  

• Options
    My arm hurt for about a week, but that's it. 
    FORMER USERNAME: @runningisrad

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    My arm hurt a lot and the next day I felt like crap. Low energy, tired, achy and like I was getting sick. By the next day I felt fine.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    kcl219kcl219 member
    Just a sore arm which was better by the next day.
  • Options
    I developed a swollen lymph node in my neck (felt like a golf ball in my throat) and a severe sore throat that lasted two and a half weeks.  It was a weird reaction, but apparently not unheard of (a sore throat is a known side effect).  Plus my arm was so sore I couldn't lift it for a couple days (after not hurting the first day at all).  But that's normal and expected.

For my throat, I had to be put on a Z-pack (antibiotics), which mostly cleared it up and then it finally resolved the rest of the way on its own.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Our infertility journey (TW)
    ● IUI #1: BFN 
    ● IUI #2: BFP - early M/C :'(  
    ● IUI #3: BFN 
    ● IUI #4: BFN 
    ● IVF/FET #1 (2 transferred): BFP! TWINS!
    ● FET #2 (1 transferred): BFP!  BOY #3!
    ● Natural #1: BFP - M/C @ 8 weeks :'(
    ● Natural #2:  BFP - M/C @ 5w5d :'(

• Options
    My arms and chest were tingly that night.  By the next morning that was gone, but my arm got pretty sore.  I got the shot Monday, today the pain is almost 100% gone.
  • Options
    I did a few years ago when I got it. It's a very common reaction, and it's a very non-specific reaction based on the regular inflammation/immune reaction vaccines are designed to provoke. Your body basically reacts with the beginning stages of feeling sick (low-grade fever, malaise, aches, fatigue etc) because your body is going through the process of creating the antibodies against the pieces of virus in the vaccine. I would stick with Tylenol and drink lots of water. Not much you can do beyond that. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Just a sore arm for a few days

Even miracles take a little time - Cinderella

BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Sore arm was my only reaction. The soreness lasted longer when I had it two years ago during my first pregnancy than this time. A couple of days vs over a week.

• Options
    ashtasht member
    Just got mine yesterday. My arm is a bit sore today but only when I lift it like I'm washing my hair. Otherwise I don't notice anything
  • Options
    ElcaBElcaB member
    I got mine. The arm soreness lasted a day or two, no big deal. My pharmacist (also my BFF) had me hang for about 10 minutes after to make sure I didn't react poorly. 
  • Options
    PSUBecky23PSUBecky23 member
    edited July 2016
    ajs1887 said:
    Has anyone else had their Tdap shot yet, and if so did you get a fever and aches in the first 24 hours? If so did you get past it or need medical attention? I never seem to fair well with any kind of shots.

The handout I was given says a fever is a possible reaction. Hope you're feeling better.
    Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! Always comforting to hear what others go through. Feeling much better, lots of hydration and attempted test. Fever was gone this morning. 
  • Options
    ab920ab920 member
    I heard about this, so I asked them to do it in my hip. I didn't have any problems.