May 2016 Moms
Options

The things you said you wouldn't do VS the things you really aren't doing

1mae20161mae2016 member
edited July 2016 in May 2016 Moms
As an expecting mom there were a lot of things I swore I would never do and would never allow my child to do. Lots of tv time or "screen" time, formula feeding, and allowing the series of Junie B Jones books to be in my LOs possession are examples of things I said I would never allow. While I'm absolutely positive about not having the Junie series in the house- even though it's far off- I have had the tv on more than ever since being home with LO and will have to start FF when I go back to work. On the flip side, I said I would read to LO everyday, get my body back into shape, allow her grandparents to watch her whenever they want and not be an overly obsessive mom but none of those things have happened yet. 
So what about you ladies? How are you going about your not-to-do's and good-to-do's?
Edited because I managed to misspell inside the title.  :#

Re: The things you said you wouldn't do VS the things you really aren't doing

• Options
    I'm pretty much doing everything that I said I wouldn't do. FF, screen time, pacifier, napping with me in bed, the list goes on and on...
  • Options
    I swore no pacifier and no FF and have done both. The FF started bcuz she lost too much weight and also had to do the bili lights and it has been hard to get my milk to catch up. I introduced the pacifier but she almost always refuses it unless her daddy is holding her (it's like she knows he can't give her what she wants). 
    I also said I would sing lullabies to her which I do occasionally but not as much as I thought. I also said I would allow my mom to watch her, but I have only allowed her to "watch her" when we visit and I'm just outside.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My major one was no tv time. I'm still trying to keep it limited (1-2 hours max most days) though.

I also planned to read, do tummy time, and talk to LO way more than I do. The first, I generally make it through half or a very short story daily (LO always seems to want to eat whenever I start story time).

Tummy time is the hardest! LO must be alert, not hungry, can't have eaten recently (to avoid spitting up), in a generally good mood, and at home. Once in tummy time, there's often a ten minute or less window before he gets too frustrated. I don't get six windows matching all of those criteria in a day to do the recommended amount of tummy time.

I do make a sincere effort to talk with LO, but never feel like I'm doing it enough. Ugh!
  • Options
    I said I would take more naps...I need to take more naps!

One thing that I'm surprised at myself for is for changing her diaper on my bed and then walking away.  I never left either of the twins on my bed, even for a second.  On the other hand, she, unlike her sisters, might be more at risk on the floor.  Her curious sisters might step on her or poke her eyes when I'm not looking.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Mama to Three Girls: 
    Twins born March 2014 at 26 weeks due to preterm labor
    and our 37weeker born May 9th, 2016!

• Options
    kp90kp90 member
    I let her sleep with us. I have the TV on a lot. I don't read to her as much as I wanted to but it's getting easier now that I can prop her up in her pillow. I do talk to her a lot though. 
  • Options
    Have the tv on (all the time) and the other night we discovered we could set her in front of cartoons while we had a quiet dinner! At this point any quiet time in the evenings is amazing! I'll take it! 
  • Options
    I also am on my screen more than I hoped I would be. We don't have cable TV, so we don't have a ton of TV on but I am watching some Netflix shows. It's hard to be here all day with no other stimulation other than baby. Like others, I said my son will never play football and so far I've been able to keep that one!
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16