Pregnant after IF

Twin question

ok so when I went to high risk Doctor last week he told me stuff I didn't know about my twins. They share one placenta they share an outer sac but have their own inner sac which is think in between. He told me that there is a possibility they could be identical. We opted out of doing the blood test to find the sex. Can anyone who is pregnant with twins what the positioning was like for when they found out the sex and how? Thanks 

Re: Twin question

• Hey @ultratomato - I'm not sure if I'm understanding your question.  Are you asking about my placenta position?  My twins are definitely in two separate sacs - and are boy/girl, so obviously not identical.  We did put in two embryos with our IVF and it was apparent on our first ultrasound at 7 weeks that there was a membrane between them. Any placental composition can yield identical twins (mono/mono, mono/di, di/di).  Or were you asking about the babies' positions when we found out the sexes?  We found out at 19 weeks and they were both head down with their legs spread open.  We'd had the Harmony blood test previously and knew there was at least one boy.
    *** Child & current pregnancy mentioned ***
    Me - 41 (PCOS), Hubby - 43 (healthy)
    7/2013 - Sweet baby girl born (Clomid + TI)
    3/2014 - TTC #2, return to RE 7/2014
    12/2015: IVF #1 transferred two great looking embryos - BFP!
    First ultrasound: TWO beautiful little heartbeats!!
    Harmony: negative; level 2: babies look great and are boy/girl! :) 
  • @emsmama15 I'm just confused I guess cause we did ivf and put two eggs in so I assumed there was no chance they were twins but now I just don't know. Not that it matters though. I was just trying to figure out if they were identical or not. Guess we won't know until we are further along I'm only 13 weeks 
  • Loading the player...
  • @ultratomato - sorry, I've been off the Bump for a week.  I do know that something about IVF causes an increase in identical twins.  I don't know what it is, but the embryos are more likely to split. It sounds like maybe only one of your embryos stuck and it split?  How crazy would that be?  Good luck.  I look forward to hearing! :)
    *** Child & current pregnancy mentioned ***
    Me - 41 (PCOS), Hubby - 43 (healthy)
    7/2013 - Sweet baby girl born (Clomid + TI)
    3/2014 - TTC #2, return to RE 7/2014
    12/2015: IVF #1 transferred two great looking embryos - BFP!
    First ultrasound: TWO beautiful little heartbeats!!
    Harmony: negative; level 2: babies look great and are boy/girl! :) 
  • Lurking... I at first had twins,  but mine were not identical.  The chances of identical increase with Ivf if there was assisted hatching (or hatching had already started to take place when transferred).  I don't know much more beyond that,  but I didn't  have assisted hatching with my blastocysts because of the increased chance of multiples and the fact we were transferring two. 
  • @Piperella I didn't have assisted hatching either hopefully will find out sex soon